Does the Weight of an Airplane and Contents Change?

Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
freeda

Default Does the Weight of an Airplane and Contents Change?

The weight lost from perspiration and the passengers burning calories
is insignificant. Consider that a plane burns a few thousand pounds of
fuel per hour, then even if you had each person managing to burn a
pound of energy sustaining themselves on the flight (a generous
guesstimate) on a 747 you'd come in ~400 lbs less at landing than
takeoff. No biggie.

And that would assume the pound used to sustain themselves left the
plane. After all, if you lose a pound, it doesn't disappear, it goes
someplace.

I'm not talking about people ****ting here. When you sit at your
computer, your body burns calories generating heat, speaking, moving
around, digesting food, etc. The mass of food you ate on the plane or
before boarding is converted to heat, sound, kinetic energy. The fact
that people sit on a plane more or less emphasizes that this loss of
energy, and the mass used to create it, is tiny, and therefore negligible.

This is not a nuclear reaction, the energy is created by the breakdown of
chemical bonds in the food. No mass is lost at all.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:11 PM
Ulf Kutzner

mtravelkay schrieb:

Well, the plane would weigh less because the fuel would have been burnt
and byproducts of this would have left the plane.

As far as the food, etc refer to the Law of Conservation of Mass:
Matter can not be created or destroyed. So, unless it finds a way off
the aircraft, it would still be on the aircraft.

Already heard of carbonic dioxide and water?

Regards, ULF
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM
ender

freeda wrote:
[...]

Are you saying, that when you excercise on a daily basis to lose weight,
that any weight you shed must come off in sweat and waste only?
Old March 23rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
freeda

"enderremove @telus.net" "enderremove wrote in message
freeda wrote:
[...]

You are 'burning off fat' Fat is only stored energy, and this is broken down
into something you ****/****/sweat.

Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:18 PM
ender

You are 'burning off fat' Fat is only stored energy, and this is broken down
into something you ****/****/sweat.

You're right (I think) and I feel like an idiot. I should go take a
chemistry class I think
Old March 23rd, 2004, 08:26 PM
freeda

You are 'burning off fat' Fat is only stored energy, and this is broken
down
into something you ****/****/sweat.

You're right (I think) and I feel like an idiot. I should go take a
chemistry class I think

You have to excuse me, I'm a Physics graduate (well 10 years ago) so I get a
little anal about these things...

Old March 24th, 2004, 01:04 AM
nobody

"Miss L. Toe" wrote:
But going back to an offshoot from the OP's original question, how much the
weight of the aircraft be reduced at 30,000 feet due to the reduction in
gravity ?

If you are discussing weight (as opposed to mass), then the weight of a
pressurized aircraft actually increases at altitude. On the ground, air
pressure being equal, the air inside the aircraft doesn't weight any more than
the air that would otherwise occupy the same volume if the aircraft were not there.

But at altitude, the air inside the cabin weighs more than the air that would
occupy the same volume. On the former CP web site, they stated that this
difference was in the order of one tonne for a 747-400.

In terms of gravity, gravity changes in relation to the distance from the
centre of the gravity generating mass. Earth has a radius of about 6366km.
Adding 10km for the plane's altitude changes the force of gravity very little.
Old March 24th, 2004, 04:58 AM
AC

There is no jettisoning of toilet waste on an airliner, not intentionally,
anyway. Could you imagine what kind of nasty ice block that would make??

"A Mate" wrote in message
E=mc2 - refers to energy creation and destruction of matter - as in a
nuclear or thermo-nuclear reaction. Nothing to do with the energy
transformations which occur in the human body!!

The aircraft would weigh exactly what it did on take-off MINUS the weight

of
water lost in air exchange, fuel burnt and waste matter jettisoned through
the toilet and waste water systems.

"nobody" wrote in message
Alan Bell wrote:
after we eat, the same as when the plane took off? And what about two

hours
after we eat? When nature takes it course, is the aggregate weight

still
the
same?

Overall, you sweat or exhale a lot of the water contents of the food you
eat/drink, and that humidity is dumped overboard as the air is replaced

in
the cabin.

The E = MC2 aspect would probably be so small that it wouldn't matter

with
regards to mass converted to energy by muscles.

Old March 24th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Bob Myers

"Alan Bell" wrote in message
Yes, I understand that. But the expenditure of jet fuel wasn't the thrust

of
my question and I take responsibility for writing my question wrong. I
should have written: "Is the combined weight of the people, the food, the
food containers, the waste facilities and the air we breathe -- I'm trying
to think of everything related to the passengers, the food and its
consumption -- constant over the course of the flight?

To a very close first approximation, yes. The only significant
change in the weight (or mass) of the aircraft comes through
the consumption of fuel.

Bob M.

Old March 24th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Bob Myers

"freeda" wrote in message

Is excrement not jettisoned overboard? We have all heard stories of frozen
turds crashing through roofs.

No, never intentionally. Most of these stories are apocryphal;
the few with legitimate roots originate with failure of the
system, specifically the valve that permits the waste to be
pumped from the aircraft after the flight.

Bob M.