Travel to Myanmar

Old July 27th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Mattia

Default Travel to Myanmar

Hello, next month I'll travel 3 weeks in Myanmar, starting from
Bangkok, and would like some suggestions on where to go and how to
move.
I would like to fly as little as possible (just to enter and exit the
country, or less if is possible) , and would like also to do 3/4 days
of beach.
I also checked some nice websites like www.hsdejong.nl and
www.molon.de with pictures and itineraries.
I'm also aware of the political situation in Myanmar and would like to
travel and stay in places not run by government.
I found a very useful list of links that may answer to all my
questions at this page , but the links doesn't seem to work.

This is my approx route:
- fly from Bangok to Rangoon (visit rangoon and surroundings)
- train from Rangoon to Mandalay (visit it and surroundings)(hsipaw
and lashio?)
- boat to Bagan (visit etc etc)
- in some way go to Inle lake
- going out to thailand from tachilek, then chiang mai and then
bangkok

Given this approx route, and looking for example at this map
http://www.hsdejong.nl\burma\miscell...mar_map.ht ml
- along this route, which other places do you suggest to see? (taking
bus/boat/train, which one is best)
- is there a place where can I rent a motorbike and travel on my own
for 2/3 days? (or more of course)
- which place is best to stay 3/4 days on the beach (ngapali,
thandwe,chaungta, or south to thaton, ye..)
- if I enter overland from thailand at the three pagodas pass, near
ye, instead of flying to rangoon, where do I have to take the flight
for rangoon (do I have? or is it possible to do entirely overland?),
and how much does it costs?
- to go out from tachilek, where do I have to take the flight to
kyaing tong? (do I have? or is it possible to do entirely overland?)
and how much does it cost?
- if you think that beaches are not so nice in myanmar, would you
suggest me the closest one to bangkok? how long does it takes to go to
ko samet?

Thank you!
Old July 27th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Frans Vandenbosch

Mingalaba

"Mattia" schreef in bericht
Hello, next month I'll travel 3 weeks in Myanmar, starting from
Bangkok, and would like some suggestions on where to go and how to
move.
I would like to fly as little as possible (just to enter and exit the
country, or less if is possible) , and would like also to do 3/4 days
of beach.
I also checked some nice websites like www.hsdejong.nl and
www.molon.de with pictures and itineraries.

here is one mo
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Myanmar/index.html
itinerary:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...ma%20diary.htm

I was there last year October

I'm also aware of the political situation in Myanmar and would like to
travel and stay in places not run by government.

My personal advise is not to do that

I found a very useful list of links that may answer to all my
questions at this page , but the links doesn't seem to work.

I don't like to start the political discussion here.
Just want to say that i scheduled my trip exactly with the same viewpoint as
you, but i completely changed my opinion during my trip in the golden land
Myanmar
Myanmar is much more than the NLD and ASSK and the real situation in the
country has nothing to do with the propaganda of the action groups in the
west.

This is my approx route:
- fly from Bangok to Rangoon (visit rangoon and surroundings)
- train from Rangoon to Mandalay (visit it and surroundings)(hsipaw
and lashio?)
- boat to Bagan (visit etc etc)
- in some way go to Inle lake

take a taxi

- going out to thailand from tachilek,

Heho (Inle lake) to Tachilek
Don't miss KyengTong and the minority tribes in that area

Heho - KyengTong - Taichilec
only by airplaine (legally)
not by car or train allowed

- then chiang mai and then
bangkok

Please make sure that it is legally possible to cross the border and return
to Thailand via Tachilek

Given this approx route, and looking for example at this map
http://www.hsdejong.nl\burma\miscell...mar_map.ht ml
- along this route, which other places do you suggest to see? (taking
bus/boat/train, which one is best)
- is there a place where can I rent a motorbike and travel on my own
for 2/3 days? (or more of course)

sure

- which place is best to stay 3/4 days on the beach (ngapali,
thandwe,chaungta, or south to thaton, ye..)
- if I enter overland from thailand at the three pagodas pass, near
ye, instead of flying to rangoon, where do I have to take the flight
for rangoon (do I have? or is it possible to do entirely overland?),
and how much does it costs?

IMHO not possible/ not legally allowed

- to go out from tachilek, where do I have to take the flight to
kyaing tong? (do I have? or is it possible to do entirely overland?)
and how much does it cost?
- if you think that beaches are not so nice in myanmar,

There are outstanding, fantastic, really marvelous beaches in Myanmar
much better than in Thailand
Refer to the pictures on my website:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...-%2017.17.html

would you
suggest me the closest one to bangkok? how long does it takes to go to
ko samet?

why does that beach has to be close to Thailand ?

Thank you!

You are welcome

Also refer to the names, adress,... etc of my guides
and some of my good friends in Myanmar
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/guestbook/index.php

Old July 27th, 2004, 02:40 PM
Mattia

I don't like to start the political discussion here.
Just want to say that i scheduled my trip exactly with the same viewpoint as
you, but i completely changed my opinion during my trip in the golden land
Myanmar
Myanmar is much more than the NLD and ASSK and the real situation in the
country has nothing to do with the propaganda of the action groups in the
west.

Ok, we'll see when I come back.

There are outstanding, fantastic, really marvelous beaches in Myanmar
much better than in Thailand
Refer to the pictures on my website:
http://www.actagena.org/pictures/Mya...-%2017.17.html

so you reccomend sittwe?
unfortunately is quite far and it would take too long to go there by
bus
do you know of other beaches closer to rangoon?

why does that beach has to be close to Thailand ?

not to Thailand, but to Bangkok because we fly out from there, eand we
wanted just 2-3 days of rest in a nice beach

Thanks for all the useful information.