Unusual places to stay - Central Coast California

Old February 21st, 2005, 10:33 PM
elise

Default Unusual places to stay - Central Coast California

Well I've found the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo thanks to a few novels - so
glad it's actually a real place - Friends think it is sooo kitsch from the
website.

What other places are there - spending 7 days going from LA to SF, maybe up to
Sonoma before spending last 4 nights in SF. I love kitsch and quaint Inns and
B&Bs. Maybe a night in Solvang?? Pity you can't stay in Hearst Castle - LOL

Going in March/April (from UK)

--
Elise
http://uk.photos.yahoo.com/elisebutt

Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:01 AM
john711111

There is a place where you stay in a yurt (tent), some on cliff overlooking
ocean in Big Sur. Like up scale camping with hardwood floor and full beds.
will try to find weblink if no one here rememvbers name. I have seen the
webpage, looked kinda neat

Old February 22nd, 2005, 01:51 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

elise wrote:
Well I've found the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo thanks to a few novels - so
glad it's actually a real place - Friends think it is sooo kitsch from the
website.

What other places are there - spending 7 days going from LA to SF, maybe up to
Sonoma before spending last 4 nights in SF. I love kitsch and quaint Inns and
B&Bs. Maybe a night in Solvang?? Pity you can't stay in Hearst Castle - LOL

Going in March/April (from UK)

Deetjen's Inn on the Big Sur coast. http://www.deetjens.com
The Brookdale Lodge just north of Santa Cruz
http://www.brookdalelodge.com/.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 05:54 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

john711111 wrote:
There is a place where you stay in a yurt (tent), some on cliff overlooking
ocean in Big Sur. Like up scale camping with hardwood floor and full beds.
will try to find weblink if no one here rememvbers name. I have seen the
webpage, looked kinda neat

This would be the place:
http://www.treebonesresort.com/
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:14 AM
elise

"Carmen L. Abruzzi" wrote in message
elise wrote:
Well I've found the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo thanks to a few novels -

so
glad it's actually a real place - Friends think it is sooo kitsch from the
website.

snip
B&Bs. Maybe a night in Solvang?? Pity you can't stay in Hearst Castle - LOL

Going in March/April (from UK)

Deetjen's Inn on the Big Sur coast. http://www.deetjens.com
The Brookdale Lodge just north of Santa Cruz
http://www.brookdalelodge.com/.

Thanks for those suggestions. They all look really interesting. I was going to
dismiss the yurt thing out of hand but it actually looks like fun.
Elise

Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:33 AM
Brian K

elise wrote:

Well I've found the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo thanks to a few novels -

so

glad it's actually a real place - Friends think it is sooo kitsch from the
website.

snip

B&Bs. Maybe a night in Solvang?? Pity you can't stay in Hearst Castle - LOL

Going in March/April (from UK)

Deetjen's Inn on the Big Sur coast. http://www.deetjens.com
The Brookdale Lodge just north of Santa Cruz
http://www.brookdalelodge.com/.

Thanks for those suggestions. They all look really interesting. I was going to
dismiss the yurt thing out of hand but it actually looks like fun.
Elise

If you're going to stay in a yurt, why not do so in Mongolia? The
government sponsors adventure tours staying with Mongolian nomads -- you
even get your own horse to ride.. the country side and mountains are
breath taking. Apologies. I know this is a USA/Canada forum. But the
mention of a yurt brought back some great memories of the Mongolian
steppes and mountains. :-)

--
________
Brian M. Kochera

Old February 23rd, 2005, 02:46 PM
Andrew Woodroffe

Have a look at Solveng, we stayed just outside a few years ago and had a
lovely time in the area.
Woody