"How the EU works: In Germany, they make the rules, in Britain, theyobey the rules, in France, they bend the rules, in Spain, they break therules, and in Italy they have no rules at all."

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:28 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
измет4peejay

Default "How the EU works: In Germany, they make the rules, in Britain, theyobey the rules, in France, they bend the rules, in Spain, they break therules, and in Italy they have no rules at all."

How the EU works: In Germany, they make the rules, in Britain, they
obey the rules, in France, they bend the rules, in Spain, they break
the rules, and in Italy they have no rules at all.

NEW YORK 07:25:09 LONDON 12:25:09 GMT 12:25:09 TOKYO 21:25:09
SYDNEY 23:25:09

GOOGLE IT
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:16 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
Jean[_7_]

False : in Germany they obey the rules,
in Britain they willingly create confusion (pounds, feets, oz, driving
at the left),
in France they try to take advantage of each situation,
in Spain they work the least as possible,
in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Old November 14th, 2011, 10:32 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
Cory O. Laynis

"Jean" wrote in message

False : in Germany they obey the rules,

They also make them.

in Britain they willingly create confusion (pounds, feets, oz, driving
at the left),

Britain has largely gone metric, with a few key exceptions.

in France they try to take advantage of each situation,

Stereotype not supported by reality.

in Spain they work the least as possible,

Stereotype not supported by reality. Ever been to Barcelona?

in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Examining maps of Rome, Padua, Venice, and Milan ('cause there's,
like, Google Maps, y'know?), I have to conclude that, whatever it
is you're smoking or snorting, you should cease immediately, if
only to make fleeting contact with reality once again.

Old November 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
Johannes Kleese

in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Examining maps of Rome, Padua, Venice, and Milan ('cause there's,
like, Google Maps, y'know?), I have to conclude that, whatever it
is you're smoking or snorting, you should cease immediately, if
only to make fleeting contact with reality once again.

Italy is the land of antagonism. The streets are parallel and
perpendicular and at the same time chaotic. The cities can both have
existed for two thousand years and be built like American cities. You
can be both prime minister and the world's biggest ****head (literally).
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:52 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
Surreyman[_3_]

On Nov 14, 8:16*pm, Jean wrote:
False : in Germany they obey the rules,
in Britain they willingly create confusion (pounds, feets, oz, driving
at the left),
in France they try to take advantage of each situation,
in Spain they work the least as possible,
in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Unfortunately not funny - probably entirely correct.
Old November 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
John Rennie

On 14/11/2011 21:32, Cory O. Laynis wrote:
"Jean" wrote in message

False : in Germany they obey the rules,

They also make them.

in Britain they willingly create confusion (pounds, feets, oz, driving
at the left),

Britain has largely gone metric, with a few key exceptions.

in France they try to take advantage of each situation,

Stereotype not supported by reality.

in Spain they work the least as possible,

Stereotype not supported by reality. Ever been to Barcelona?

in Italy they are rational because they have cities built like
american cities : parallel and perpendicular streets

Examining maps of Rome, Padua, Venice, and Milan ('cause there's,
like, Google Maps, y'know?), I have to conclude that, whatever it
is you're smoking or snorting, you should cease immediately, if
only to make fleeting contact with reality once again.

Plus the undoubted that we drive on the correct side of the road.
Old November 17th, 2011, 12:26 PM posted to alt.activism.death-penalty,soc.retirement,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,alt.politics.economics
martin

On 15.11.11 09:34, Johannes Kleese wrote:

Italy is the land of antagonism. The streets are parallel and
perpendicular and at the same time chaotic. The cities can both have
existed for two thousand years and be built like American cities. You
can be both prime minister and the world's biggest ****head (literally).

That's not unique to Italy.

Old November 19th, 2011, 02:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

Default British driving and Imperial units of measure

On 2011-11-14 14:16:48 -0600, Jean said:

in Britain they willingly create confusion (pounds, feets, oz, driving
at the left),

I think driving on the left is really great. I'm right-handed, and I
can use right-hand to steer but shift with my left. And as I love
scenic-driving in Britain and Ireland, it is incredibly helpful to
point my camera out the window with the right hand (my camera of the
style that is meant to be held and 80% operated with the right hand).
I just wish Norway hadn't gone over to driving on the right for my
drive up the fjordlands to the Nordkapp a couple years back. Now THAT
is the world's most scenic drive! (driving on the right in New Zealand
was helpful, too, btw)

I also like the round-abouts. The fly-ways on American interstate
highways are far superior than the mega-roundabouts on the British
four-lane carriageways, but, for the other 98% of traffic control, they
are better than stop signs and traffic lights. And they're a hoot to
drive in that they are like a chicane. Taking a roundabout fast in a
Porsche would be awesome.

And in general, the English measures make more sense than metric,
anyway. Everybody knows this. True, the metric system is better for
modern engineering and such, but for workaday purposes people intuit
the English measures, they're easier to manipulate in one's head, they
have a connection usually with something in everyday life (inch, foot,
yard, gallon, etc.), and all the tooling already invested-in are all in
English / Imperial measures. These are the same arguments made in the
first Transactions of the ASME one hundred years ago, and they're
largely true today. I daresay the biggest problem with the English /
Imperial units, is when people want to force-in metric units on an
already-existing Imperial system, and unit conversion problems occur as
a result -- FOR NO REASON.
--
Dan Stephenson
http://web.mac.com/stepheda

Old November 19th, 2011, 10:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

And in general, the English measures make more sense than metric,
anyway. Everybody knows this.

they're easier to manipulate in one's head

Indeed. 1 inch being 0.0833 feet or 0.02777 yards is a straight-forward
conversion and just makes sense.

Say I'd measured several small pieces and summed up to 1373 inch. That's
obviously 114.42 feet or 38.14 yards, got that in a second of thinking.
I wonder what wicked idiot came up with the idea that turning 3487
centimeters into 34.87 meters would be as easy?

a connection usually with something in everyday life (inch, foot, yard,
gallon, etc.),

Which could not be true for the metric system. And who uses a rule
anyway, we calculate using fingers so we may measure with thumbs, too.

Not to speak of the problem that a US liter surely is different from an
Imperial liter. Something that could never ever happen with gallons.

and all the tooling already invested-in are all in English / Imperial
measures.

Definitly. I still use those 200 year old tools, too. Those rulers with
both Imperial and metric units make me crazy.

You forgot one point, though: The metric system for lengths, for
example, is based on just one lame unit, the meter, extended with some
factor of ten, if needed.

True geniuses of engineering come up with something like this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nits_graph.svg
- Now, how many poppyseeds are one shackle?