2 days in Houston

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:45 AM
april-g

Default 2 days in Houston

We're going to Houston to catch the MOMA exhibit at the Museum of Fine
Arts. We'll be arriving on a Friday, have 2 pm Saturday tickets, and
will stay until late Sunday afternoon.

We'll be staying in the museum district (and clueless as to the
implications/ramifications of this). Any suggestions for eateries, other
attractions, etc. that don't require finding our way too far from our
accommodations in an unknown city?

Thanking you all in advance.
April

Old November 6th, 2003, 04:15 AM
Frank F. Matthews

What kinds of food do you like and what is your budget?

There are a couple of other museums no too far. I recommend that you
find your way to the Rothko chapel and the adjacent Menil museum.

FFM

Old November 6th, 2003, 03:20 PM
april-g

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote:

What kinds of food do you like and what is your budget?

We're fairly adventurous eaters. Let's see, bistro, good ethnic, and such
would work. But, being San Antonio residents, we could probably be happy
avoiding Mexican or Tex-Mex GRIN!. We also prefer casual wear -- don't want
a jacket-and-tie-required place, if that's a factor.

Budget-wise, I'd figure about $15-$20 a person for dinner, since it IS a
weekend away, together, without the kids, dog, and birds! The bed and
breaksfast should handle breakfast. Lunch on Sunday? Maybe about
$5-$10/person.

April

Old November 6th, 2003, 05:23 PM
Frank F. Matthews

Since you're from San Antonio I suppose that you will have a car. If
you like Greek food I recommend Mykonos at Richmond & Greenbrier. A
little west of Shepherd. For a more informal level Niko Niko just north
of Westheimer on Montrose. Unfortunately my best Sunday place is TexMex
Maria Selma on Richmond. You might try the Avalon Grill. There are a
couple on ones. I go to the one in Inbound US 59 between Wesleyan &
Buffalo Speedway. FFM

Old November 6th, 2003, 06:11 PM
Peter L

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message
.. .
What kinds of food do you like and what is your budget?

There are a couple of other museums no too far. I recommend that you
find your way to the Rothko chapel and the adjacent Menil museum.

I would definitely second and third that. The Menil museum is one fine
structure with some very interesting exhibits. The chapel is a place for
reflection and meditation.

FFM

Old November 6th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Peter L

I have only been to Houston once and stayed in the west university area,
pretty close to the museum district. There is an area just west of Rice
University that has a number of shops and restaurants. If you don't want
tex mex you are missing out on a large sector of Houston cuisine.

I suppose Vietnamese is also another major cuisine, but you'd have to go
pretty far to get that.

Old November 7th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Frank F. Matthews

Vietnamese is another good choice. There are innumerable pho shops
around and a couple of high class restaurants. It's not far from the
museum district to the west side of downtown. FFM