1st Trip to NYC, Need "Must See" Advice

Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:29 AM
Pan

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 07:55:52 -0500, Al B wrote:

Gray Line runs a double decker bus that makes loops around the city.
You can get on and off at a number of stops. There are 3 loops, an
uptown, a downtown, and Brooklyn along with one at night (which only
stops at Empire State Building on way back and you have to find own
way to hotel, etc). A 2-day all loops ticket was $49 per person and
we found it worthwhile.

I'm glad you did, but think what a good dinner you could have had for
the difference between that price and a MetroCard plus walking.

One day we took the up and downtown loops and
didn't get off, just got a feel for the city. Then we used them to
get to different areas the rest of that day and the next. We took the
night tour the second night we were there and it was really nice. The
bus goes across the Manhattan Bridge into Brooklyn for some great
skyline views.

But so does the B51 bus, which is part of the MTA system.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Pan

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 03:14:01 -0700, Icono Clast

the West
Side of Mid-Town Manhattan, sometimes called Hells Kitchen

I thought Hell's Kitchen ceased to exist when the two skyscrapers now
there were built. I'm I suffering from a mis-impression?

Yes, you're suffering from a misimpression. There are no skyscrapers
in Hell's Kitchen, unless you're thinking of the residential tower at
43rd and 10th (I think). Hell's Kitchen is basically the West 40s and
50s west of the Theater District (essentially, that means it starts
west of 8th Av.).

Old July 23rd, 2005, 08:44 AM
Pan

On 21 Jul 2005 08:59:08 -0700, wrote:

Will be traveling to NYC for a weekend and need advice on the must see
sites. We don't want to walk around aimlessly, we're planning on the
Statute of Liberty by just riding by on the Staten Island Ferry, and
Central Park...any other tips?

No-one can tell you what things you will consider "must sees." You
should walk around a lot, even in hot weather if you can stand it,
because that's how you'll really experience New York. Yes, take the
Staten Island Ferry and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (nice breezes
that way). Take buses like the M4. It goes to Fort Tryon Park, which
contains the tallest naturally-occurring point on Manhattan Island and
gives you beautiful views of the New Jersey Palisades. While you're
there, go to The Cloisters, an uptown branch of the Metropolitan
Museum devoted to the Medieval period. And if you do like art museums,
the Met is as close to a must-see as there is in New York, not to
mention the U.S. But maybe you don't care for art museums; how would
we know? If you'd like to go somewhere where there's shade and
natural/landscaped beauty, consider the Botanic Gardens in Brooklyn
and the Bronx (the latter called the New York Botanic Gardens) as well
as Central Park and other parks (tell us where you're staying and
we'll have more to say about that). If you like architecture, you
shouldn't miss Madison Park, which is partially surrounded by the
Equitable Life Insurance, Flatiron, and International Toy Center
Buildings, among my favorites in New York. Have a look at the Chrysler
Building. Go to Grand Central Terminal and look at the ceiling. Walk
several blocks on 11 St. to look at the lovely brownstones. Walk past
the Apthorp on 78-79 Sts. and Broadway, the most beautiful residential
highrise in the city. Etc. Don't care for architecture? Walk down 5th
Av. from 59 St. to 42 St. or Madison Av. from about 96 St. to 60 St.
and windowshop. Don't like to windowshop? OK, I quit here, but the
point is that there are loads and loads of things to do and see in New
York. Tell us your interests and we can be of more help to you. In the
meantime, do some www research. There is an article on New York City
on en.wikipedia.org that has information and links to other articles
about museums in New York, etc. There's also wikitravel. And you can
also find information about New York under yahoo.com's local listings.
My recommendation is for you to do some work and get back to us with
more specific questions.

Old July 24th, 2005, 04:01 AM
Larry

Al B wrote:
Gray Line runs a double decker bus that makes loops around the city.
You can get on and off at a number of stops. There are 3 loops, an
uptown, a downtown, and Brooklyn along with one at night (which only
stops at Empire State Building on way back and you have to find own
way to hotel, etc). A 2-day all loops ticket was $49 per person and
we found it worthwhile.

Or 2 one day metrocads will cost $14 total, and allow you unlimited
rides on all city buses and subways, taking you anywhere in the city,
not just where the gray line buses run (and stop). So which is more
worthwhile?

Larry

Old July 24th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Icono Clast

Pan wrote:
Icono Clast wrote:
I thought Hell's Kitchen ceased to exist when the two
skyscrapers now there were built. I'm I suffering from a
mis-impression?

Yes, you're suffering from a misimpression. There are no
skyscrapers in Hell's Kitchen, unless you're thinking of the
residential tower at 43rd and 10th (I think). Hell's Kitchen is
basically the West 40s and 50s west of the Theater District
(essentially, that means it starts west of 8th Av.).

Tellya how I got that idea:

Some years ago there was a marvellous four-part series called
"Skyscraper" broadcast on the Public Broadcasting Service. It was
about the building of two buildings (twins, I think) from drawing the
plans to cutting the ribbon, West of Eighth Avenue, I think.

I vaguely remember that, in the Robert Moses tradition, Hell's
Kitchen was, uh, decimated in order to allow their construction. When
I saw them, I was able to see them in a way quite different from the
way I've ever been able to look at any other building(s).

The four hours are probably available from PBS.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ - http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 --- IClast at SFbay Net
Old July 24th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Icono Clast

Pan wrote:
Al B wrote:
Gray Line runs a double decker bus that makes loops around the
city. A 2-day all loops ticket was $49 per person and we found
it worthwhile.

I'm glad you did, but think what a good dinner you could have had
for the difference between that price and a MetroCard plus
walking.

An advantage of the Gray Line is the 'tween stops commentary.
However, equally good commentaries can be provided by the person
sitting next to you on a City bus and, if the person makes a mistake,
everyone within hearing will offer a correction.

Same's pretty-much true wherever similar tour scams exist. I've seen
'em in London and, I think, other places.

Larry pointed out that:
2 one day metrocads will cost $14 total, and allow you unlimited
rides on all city buses and subways, taking you anywhere in the
city, not just where the gray line buses run (and stop). So which
is more worthwhile?

I am NOT talking about comprehensive city tours that many find of
great value and well worth the while.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
Old July 24th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Al B

I am sure the MetroCard is a much cheaper and excellent alternative. I
would certainly utilize it on subsequent visits. I felt that the red bus
was an excellent way to get a feel for the city as a whole for someone
only with a short stay (in our case 2 days). The city at night loop was
particularly worthwhile and could not be replicated in a subway or even
on a bus in my opinion.