1st Trip to Canada in June 04 - Need some advice

Old December 25th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Icono Clast

Default 1st Trip to Canada in June 04 - Need some advice

There are nine replies. None mentoned a drive along the Skeena River
that we found remarkably beautiful.

Say what you will about Barkerville, but we enjoyed it.

Harrington (or is it "Harrison"?) Hot Springs can be fun.

British Columba, Yukon, and Alberta are the most spectacular of
Canada's provinces (that I've visited; haven't been to the Maritimes
or NorthWest Territories). One could easily spend a lifetime exploring
them.
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old December 25th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Gord

Three weeks is enough to drive across Canada from Vancouver to Halifax or
even St. John's Nfld. It is something only a few Canadians try now days.
It is something all Canadians should do. {not fly - drive} but don't.

I would suggest that you fly back or fly one leg of the journey since it
would take about 90 to 100 hours of solid driving to return with a family in
tow. Some rental car agencies might give you a plan.

It is far more fun to drive from the east coast to the west coast. That is
to land in St. John's or Halifax and end in Vancouver or Victoria. Going
west is mimicking the old pioneer routes and moods. Going west I found keeps
one more interested more so than going east bound.

You have the rich hinterland of eastern Canada with its rich forests and
wildlife, to the great open plains which are gorgeous and moody, then
climaxing by going through Banff and onto the coast in a great journey
through the western cordillera. Its much like the the story line of a novel.
Everyone has this fascination of landing in Vancouver which is okay but BC
is only 1/14th of Canada. Yukon, Bob, Iqaluit, Alberta, Sasketchewan,
Manitoba, Northern Ontario, Southern Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova
Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador. All of these
regions are unique and special to what Canada is.

Since you have lots of time before you make the journey, I would double
check with the tourist agency to see if you can rent a car for three weeks
or one month out of St. John's Nfld. to Vancouver on a one way trip
preferably.

Or you could land in Vancouver, take a one way family flight to St. John's
then drive back. Same difference.

"6656" wrote in message
om...
Actually this will be our first trip to North America.

We (wife, 2 kids (7 & 8) & myself) have been to europe & Aust & NZ. We
will be landing in Vancover and intend to spend 3 weeks there.

We like outdoor family activites and exploring villages and small
towns along the way. We don't intend to spend time in big cities.

Can anyone suggest a 3 week iteniary for us?

Old December 25th, 2003, 04:19 PM
6656

THANKS for all the replies.

We are from Singapore and we like to see this time only Canada and
upwards.
If we get a second chance later in our life , we intend to start from
Miami upwards.

I have some idea what to do from the above tips. When ever it is
necessary, we intend to get a car. This is always conveneince with the
kids around. Probably we will spend a little time exploring Vancover
and also probably plan to have a look at some friends staying in
Toronto.

I will come back with more questions after considering the options
given above.

BTW, how will be the climate in June ?
Old December 25th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Aramis

June is probably the best month in Canada, Temperatures should be 24-30
Celsius for a daily high. They could stop in the high teens or go up to 35
for extremes but that would be infrequent. Evenings will be cooler than you
are used to - perhaps down to 8-12 in some areas.

Toronto is a LONG way from Vancouver - 48 hours driving. That leaves little
time for exploring. And between Calgary and Thunder Bay, there is little to
explore. Sorry, but I've driven it and it's the truth.

om...

Old December 25th, 2003, 06:31 PM
Dave Smith

6656 wrote:

We are from Singapore and we like to see this time only Canada and
upwards.
If we get a second chance later in our life , we intend to start from
Miami upwards.

I have some idea what to do from the above tips. When ever it is
necessary, we intend to get a car. This is always conveneince with the
kids around. Probably we will spend a little time exploring Vancover
and also probably plan to have a look at some friends staying in
Toronto.

I will come back with more questions after considering the options
given above.

BTW, how will be the climate in June ?

June is a good time. The weather is generally good, warm to hot and not
much rain. School children have summer vacation in July and August so
accommodations is easier to find and a little cheaper in most places.

If you are planning to go to Toronto from Vancouver you might be better
off flying. It takes three days be train and even longer to drive.

Old December 26th, 2003, 11:19 PM
Chris the Liberal

"Gord" wrote in message . cable.rogers.com...
Three weeks is enough to drive across Canada from Vancouver to Halifax or
even St. John's Nfld. It is something only a few Canadians try now days.
It is something all Canadians should do. {not fly - drive} but don't.

I would particularly urge you to see Newfoundland, but I think
the west side more interesting and I think you can fly into Deer Laie.
Gros Morne National Park will Blow Your Mind -- be sure to do a
little research ahead of time so you know what you're looking out.
Tablelands = 2 tectonic plates colliding; Broome Pt Fishing Village =
historic village where families lived in tiny houses during fishing
season and -- the day I was there -- fabulous guide; I intended to
take only 10 min for a couple of pictures, stayed 2 hours; Western
Brook Pond = a drownded fiord. While there, also drive north to
Lanse Aux Meadows = historic Viking settlement of about 1200 AD.
I drove all the way from Illinois and took the ferry from Nova
Scotia (Alex Graham Bell N Hist Site also very interesting) and
Cape Breton Highlands N Park.
Old January 5th, 2004, 05:48 AM
mimi

"6656" wrote in message
om...
THANKS for all the replies.

We are from Singapore and we like to see this time only Canada and
upwards.
If we get a second chance later in our life , we intend to start from
Miami upwards.

I have some idea what to do from the above tips. When ever it is
necessary, we intend to get a car. This is always conveneince with the
kids around. Probably we will spend a little time exploring Vancover
and also probably plan to have a look at some friends staying in
Toronto.

Well, Vancouver and Toronto are pretty big cities.

BTW, how will be the climate in June ?

Probably still coolish in BC, especially up north.

Marianne

Old January 10th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Traveler

Hi

We had a fantastic time at Vancouver Island. It was 3 years ago in July
where we went from Vancouver over to the Island capital Victoria. There we
spent some fantastic days in the colony style town and vent further up north
and stayed for a week in mid Vancouver Island. You may have a look at
http://www.tourismvancouver.com to find what to do.

We enjoy just looking around; having a good meal, let the kids see what they
like and just relax. Vancouver Island is fantastic so is Vancouver city.

"goblu" wrote in message

Originally posted by 6656

Actually this will be our first trip to North America.

We (wife, 2 kids (7 & 8) & myself) have been to europe & Aust & NZ. We

will be landing in Vancover and intend to spend 3 weeks there.

We like outdoor family activites and exploring villages and small

towns along the way. We don't intend to spend time in big cities.

Can anyone suggest a 3 week iteniary for us? .

Do you intend to rent a car or rely on tours. I could suggest a few
places but a car is a must.

If you let us know I am sure the folk around here could put you right. I
must say that 3 weeks is a bit tight on time to see much.

Old February 6th, 2004, 01:46 AM
Gavin

Aramis wrote:

And between Calgary and Thunder Bay, there is little to
explore. Sorry, but I've driven it and it's the truth.

Have you driven any part of it other than the Trans-Canada highway?

Some of the most fascinating places I have seen in Canada have been
between Calgary and Thunder Bay, but well off the TCH.

Remember that the OP wanted smaller towns, and there are plenty of them here.