1st timers to Disney/Orlando

Old January 27th, 2004, 06:56 PM

Default 1st timers to Disney/Orlando

"JLamm" wrote in message ...
Hi,
We want to take out preschool girls from snowy upstate NY to DisneyWorld,
etc. in late March. Any tips, secrets, cautions, guidance?
Thanks,
John

Try to arrange your visit to Disney World when school is in session.
During school breaks the lines get very long and the last thing you
need with small children is to wait on long lines and deal with large
crowds. Go to the Character Breakfast at Chef Mickey's in the
Contemporary Hotel. The kids will love it! It is best to plan all of
your dining in advance and arrange "priority seating". Basically, you
get priority over walk-in customers and it's available at all Disney
restaurants.

Enjoy your trip and don't try to do it all in one day. You can leave
the park during the day for the kids (and you!) to rest and then
return to the park later. Bring comfortable shoes because you will do
a lot of walking. There are many books devouted to helping you plan
your Disney trip. They are great resources.
Old January 31st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Patty Winter wrote:

You'll especially want to ask around about spring break schedules
for schools and colleges; Easter is on April 4th this year, so if
you go too late in March, you're going to hit some large crowds
at WDW. Any chance you could go in early March?

I just found out that Easter is April 11 this year. Same advice
still applies (go as far in advance of Easter as possible), but
you've got a week more to play with than I thought.

(And if anyone here works at Palm, you might want to take a look
at the algorithm that generates variable holiday dates. ;-))

Patty

Old February 1st, 2004, 01:13 AM
JamesStep

I just found out that Easter is April 11 this year...
And if anyone here works at Palm, you might want
to take a look at the algorithm that generates variable
holiday dates. ;-))

The date for Easter varies considerably from year to year
because of the fomula that determines it, which is...

1) Determine the spring equinox (the first day of spring). This
is the first day in which daytime is longer than nighttime.

2) Determine when the first full moon occurs after the spring
equinox.

3) The first Sunday after that full moon is Easter.

Simple, huh? Easter can occur as early as March 23, or as
late as April 25.

James

Remove "NOSPAM" from my address when sending me e-mail.
-
Old February 1st, 2004, 03:36 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
JamesStep wrote:

I just found out that Easter is April 11 this year...
And if anyone here works at Palm, you might want
to take a look at the algorithm that generates variable
holiday dates. ;-))

The date for Easter varies considerably from year to year
because of the fomula that determines it

Yes, I'm aware of that. That's why I referred to an
"algorithm." It's isn't a repetitive date.

Patty

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:39 AM

Hi,

I live a few hours south of Orlando and have been going to Disney World
for many years starting when my kids were very young. Here are the tips
I have based on my experience with pre-schoolers to keep your sanity

First off, although the temps are great in March, it is a busy month
because a lot of schools have spring breaks that don't necessarily
co-incide with Easter. Be prepared for crowds and waits. If you don't
find them during your stay consider it as a lucky bonus.

I recommend staying at Ft. Wilderness Campground on Disney property.
THey have tons of free activities such as evening outdoor movies,
character visits, 2 guarded pools, a beach area, numerous playgrounds, a
petting zoo, stores, and a restaurant to name some. If you camp you
will find nice large sites to pull in your camper or pitch your tent
with clean a/c bath houses and laundries at each loop. Cost is around
$50 per night or so for full hookups. If you aren't a "camper" you can
still stay there by renting a Wilderness Home which has a full kitchen,
living area, bath, and bedroom with a set of bunk beds and a double bed.
This enables you to put the kids to bed and still be able sit in the
living area which has a TV or relax on the porch. Although these Homes
are expensive (in the $200 per night range) they will make your visit
less expensive by providing a place to make and serve meals with
groceries either purchased at the camp store or off Disney property at
the local Publix Supermarket on 192. If Ft. Wilderness doesn't appeal
to you, Disney All Star resort is the least expensive with small basic
rooms around $125, a food court, and pools. All Disney Resorts have
free transportation to and from the theme parks.

For off site lodging look in the 192 "maingate" area for hotel rooms
from Motel 6 at $40 and other chains on up the scale. It is an easy
drive from there to Disney World, but, traffic can sometimes be heavy
taking 45 minutes for the 5 miles of travel.

Since your kids are preschool, I advise just doing the Magic Kingdom
taking 2-3 full days to enjoy it at a leasurely pace and Animal Kingdom
also taking 2 days. When the kids are tired, pack it in and go back to
the hotel to relax. (This is why a Disney property is nice with smaller
kids). You want good memories of the trip, not bad ones.

While in the parks carry a backpack with snacks and juice boxes. This
way the kids can eat when and where they want. We always have gold
fish, fruit snacks, pudding, etc with us even now that the kids are
teens. Prices for snacks inside the theme parks are high and selection
is low IMO.

Enjoy your vacation.

Shelly in FL

Old February 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
Lasitha

wrote in message
om...
"JLamm" wrote in message

[...]

I am in the UK and hope to visit Disney/Orlando in early April. How can I
find out when the school are closed for vacation?.

Thanks

Lasitha

Old February 1st, 2004, 03:11 PM
fishman

"Lasitha" wrote in message
Hi,
I am in the UK and hope to visit Disney/Orlando in early April. How can I
find out when the school are closed for vacation?.

Thanks

Lasitha

Spring Break is different weeks for different schools. Colleges and
universities are usually March; in Florida most public school districts are
late March. Miami-Dade County is March 29-April 2; few schools in Florida
will be later than that.

Chris

Old February 1st, 2004, 04:35 PM

March and April are Sping Break months in the US. These are 2 of the
busiest months for themeparks along with the Christmas holiday season
and the 3 summer months.

Old February 2nd, 2004, 10:26 PM
Lasitha

wrote in message
March and April are Sping Break months in the US. These are 2 of the
busiest months for themeparks along with the Christmas holiday season
and the 3 summer months.

Thanks for the info. Looks like it will be quite busy in early April.

What's the weather like in early April?.

Lasitha

Old February 3rd, 2004, 10:35 AM

April brings beautiful weather to FL. Days are warm, but, not
unbearably hot and muggy. Evenings cool off a bit and you may or may
not require a sweater.

The great weather combined with school closings is what brings all the
tourists here in March and April.

The slow times in FL are May, Oct, and Jan. This is when residents go
to the theme parks.