Planning first europe trip. What do you think of this plan?

Old July 8th, 2004, 08:39 PM
jenn

Default Planning first europe trip. What do you think of this plan?

herbert wrote:

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to europe with a friend.
This will be our first time in europe. What do you think of this day
to day list of roughly where we'll be?

5 days/4 nights Paris
4 days/3 nights Vienna
2-2.5 days/2 nights Florence
4-4.5 days/4 nights Rome

Day
1. Flight day + night
2. Arrive Paris Morning, Paris night
3. Paris Day, Paris Night
4. Paris Day, Paris Night
5. Paris Day, Paris Night
6. Paris Day, Late Afternoon Train to Vienna (14-15 hours)
7. Arrive Vienna Morning, Vienna night
8. Vienna day, Vienna night
9. Vienna day, Vienna night
10. Vienna day, Late Afternoon Train to Florence (10 hours)
11. Arrive Florence Morning, night Florence
12. Florence day, Florence night
13. Florence early morning, train to Rome (1.5 hours), Rome mid
morning FLEXIBLE: can stay in Florence some more, arrive at Rome
later in the afternoon , Rome night
14. Rome day, Rome night
15. Rome day, Rome night
16. Rome day, Rome night
17. Rome day, afternoon flight
18. Flight day + night

Thanks for your feedback,
herbert

I think this is reasonable -- you have concentrated on just 4 places --
I would stay longer in florence --- but this isn't totally insane

Remember that 2 nights is one day -- the travel days totally eat up your
time

4 nights in rome is a minimum --you get 3 days.

Old July 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Runge

Too short time for these places
In Rome you'll be exhausted, specially if the weather is warm.
Rome needs at least one whole week, or you'll leave frustrated.
You can't spend every single day touring the sights, you'll be tired of
seeing all these old stones...You need to relax and when you relax time
flies and you won't see all the sights.
You don't say where you fligh from, but if there's jetlag, arriving in Paris
in the morning won't help you touring the city all over the first day...
Vienna and Florence OK but why choose these places?? They need time to get
from one to another and I'm not sure sleeping in a train will get you nice
and refreshed the next morning.
2 weeks ?
I would concentrate on 2 places and their outskirts.
Example : Paris + Rome.

m...

Old July 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Richard

"herbert" wrote in message
m...

I'm planning a trip to europe with a friend.
This will be our first time in europe. What do you think of this day
to day list of roughly where we'll be?

5 days/4 nights Paris
4 days/3 nights Vienna
2-2.5 days/2 nights Florence
4-4.5 days/4 nights Rome

That sounds reasonable, you give yourself enough time in each place to catch
up on sleep lost to overnight trains and at the same time you're moving
quickly enough that it won't be too long before you move along to the next
city should you get bored somewhere.

Enjoy your trip!

Richard

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:08 AM
Gernot Egger

j.e.r. wrote:
In addition, I would check for flights from Paris
to Vienna or at least plan a short stop on that
trip if using trains.

He will use a night train!
IMO very reasonable! So no stop required!

Planes from Paris to Vienna one-way are very, very expensive!
Alternative: Skyeurope from Paris Orly to Bratislava plus a bus-service to
Vienna! (offered by SkyEurope)
Austrian Airlines is flying Paris-Bratislava too but I am sure not with
cheap one-way fares!

lg Gernot

Old July 9th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Miss L. Toe

"herbert" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

I'm planning a trip to europe with a friend.
This will be our first time in europe. What do you think of this day
to day list of roughly where we'll be?

5 days/4 nights Paris
4 days/3 nights Vienna

Much too long in Vienna IMO,

I would cut some time out of Vienna and either add it to Rome, or maybe
consider adding other en-route destination ? Milan / Venice /
Geneva/Interlakken

2-2.5 days/2 nights Florence
4-4.5 days/4 nights Rome

Thats a good split between Florence and Rome (dont forget Pisa isn't far
from Florence) I wouldn't spend less than that in Rome.

Old July 9th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Martin Bienwald

Gernot Egger schrieb:
j.e.r. wrote:

In addition, I would check for flights from Paris
to Vienna or at least plan a short stop on that
trip if using trains.

He will use a night train!
IMO very reasonable! So no stop required!

He might leave Paris in the morning and spend a few hours at Strasbourg,
catching the same night train after dinner at 22:00.

.... Martin
Old July 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
jenn

Miss L. Toe wrote:

"herbert" wrote in message
m...

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to europe with a friend.
This will be our first time in europe. What do you think of this day
to day list of roughly where we'll be?

5 days/4 nights Paris
4 days/3 nights Vienna

Much too long in Vienna IMO,

I would cut some time out of Vienna and either add it to Rome, or maybe
consider adding other en-route destination ? Milan / Venice /
Geneva/Interlakken

2-2.5 days/2 nights Florence
4-4.5 days/4 nights Rome

Thats a good split between Florence and Rome (dont forget Pisa isn't far
from Florence) I wouldn't spend less than that in Rome.

and the 4 days 3 nights should be reversed -- the fact is that with 3
nights you only get 2 days in a place -- the coming and going days are
hassle days not 'being there days'

I agree with the person who said to drop a day from Viena and add it to
Florence but then I love Florence -- if it were me on this trip I would
spend a week in Paris and then take the night train to Rome and finish
there -- with side trips out of each place for variety

still this 4 stop trip is not impossibly insane -- there is always a
trade off between being there and seeing lots of things -- I opt for the
former but not everyone likes that approach