Lyon to Nice via Digne-les-Bains next month?

Old June 15th, 2005, 11:51 PM
John

Default Lyon to Nice via Digne-les-Bains next month?

We would like leave Lyon in the morning to go to Digne-les-Bains to see the
Tour De France stage 12 pass by, then continue on to Nice that same evening.

How is this best done? Train or coach? I understand cars in France usually
cannot be rented for just a single day.

Old June 15th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Keith Anderson

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 15:51:17 -0700, "John"
wrote:

We would like leave Lyon in the morning to go to Digne-les-Bains to see the
Tour De France stage 12 pass by, then continue on to Nice that same evening.

How is this best done? Train or coach? I understand cars in France usually
cannot be rented for just a single day.

There's a narrow-gauge railway from Digne to Nice. Very scenic, but
not very fast!

http://www.trainprovence.com/

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

Old June 16th, 2005, 01:41 AM
jcoulter

"John" wrote in
:

We would like leave Lyon in the morning to go to Digne-les-Bains to
see the Tour De France stage 12 pass by, then continue on to Nice that
same evening.

How is this best done? Train or coach? I understand cars in France
usually cannot be rented for just a single day.

Walk up you should be able to do it, but reserve in advance and they
want three day minimum

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old June 16th, 2005, 03:15 AM
John

"Keith Anderson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

We would like leave Lyon in the morning to go to Digne-les-Bains to see
the
Tour De France stage 12 pass by, then continue on to Nice that same
evening.

How is this best done? Train or coach? I understand cars in France
usually
cannot be rented for just a single day.

There's a narrow-gauge railway from Digne to Nice. Very scenic, but
not very fast!

http://www.trainprovence.com/

Keith, Bristol, UK

DE-MUNG for email replies

The last train out of Digne-les-Bains leaves at 17:25. I might be able to
make it depending on how far away the train station is from where I will be
viewing the Tour De France riders up to 16:55. If I get photos of Lance
Armstrong earlier than 16:55, then I assume there will be no problem getting
the train to Nice.
Is there a coach from Digne-les-Bains to Nice that leaves later?

Old June 16th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Ulf Kutzner

John schrieb:

[...]

Yes. http://www.scal-amv-voyages.com/horaires/circuit9.htm

that leaves later?

Err, that's a problem.

Try
http://otdigne.cyber3c.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=71&Itemid=10 8
and
http://www.en.ot-dignelesbains.fr/index.php?option=com_contact&Itemid=131
for Tour de France options.

Regards, ULF
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Mark Fagan

As I wrote to somebody earlier, beware traffic! The Tour is wildly popular
and the traffic murderous. It is very possible that public transportation
will be overwhelmed by demand. It is not unusual for people to camp out
days ahead of the arrival of the Tour. Also, the race route will be closed
for 24 hours in advance.

Old June 16th, 2005, 08:19 PM
JuanElorza

John a écrit :
We would like leave Lyon in the morning to go to Digne-les-Bains to see the
Tour De France stage 12 pass by, then continue on to Nice that same evening.

I doubt you can catch the Digne-Nice train the same day.

How is this best done? Train or coach? I understand cars in France usually
cannot be rented for just a single day.

I have not had the opportunity to rent a car recently. But in the past,
I had to rent a car for a single day without any problem.
I tried a Lyon-Nice reservation on the AVIS reservation site, and it
seems possible (not really a bargain).
http://www.avis.fr/
Agence de départ Lyon, Gare TGV de St Exupéry, Aéroport de Saint Exupéry

Téléphone ( 04 72 22 75 43 )
Horaires d'ouverture à la prise du véhicule 07:00-23:00 h.
Agence de retour Nice, Place Masséna, 2 avenue des Phocéens

Téléphone ( 04 93 80 63 52 )
Horaires d'ouverture au retour du véhicule 08:00-12:30, 14:00-19:00 h.
Catégorie de véhicules Catégorie C (ex. Renault Mégane)

Détails du prix
Prix

Possible with CITER too (80,6€)
http://reservation.citer.fr/
152,89 EUR
Old June 17th, 2005, 07:22 AM
Mike O'Sullivan

John wrote:

The last train out of Digne-les-Bains leaves at 17:25. I might be able to
make it depending on how far away the train station is from where I will be
viewing the Tour De France riders up to 16:55. If I get photos of Lance
Armstrong earlier than 16:55, then I assume there will be no problem getting
the train to Nice.

I strongly recommend this train (Trein des Pignes). Very scenic and
takes about 3 hours.