Norway

Old March 4th, 2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
rmk

Default Norway

Is the right place to get info on travelling to Norway. In July 2008 my wife
and I would like like to spend 2 to 3 weeks on a self guided tour of Norway.
Any suggestions or advice on how to start planning this trip would be much
appreciated.

Old March 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"rmk" wrote in message
t...
Is the right place to get info on travelling to Norway. In July 2008 my
wife and I would like like to spend 2 to 3 weeks on a self guided tour of
Norway. Any suggestions or advice on how to start planning this trip would
be much appreciated.

Starting out from where?

Travel by car or train (or something else)?

Bringing a car with you or hiring one?

What are your interests?

Whichever way, you might like to consider using
one of these:

http://www.fjord-pass.com/default.asp

tim

Old March 4th, 2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton

tim..... wrote on Sun, 4 Mar 2007 19:12:14 -0000:

t "rmk" wrote in message
t t...
?? Is the right place to get info on travelling to Norway. In
?? July 2008 my wife and I would like like to spend 2 to 3
?? weeks on a self guided tour of Norway. Any suggestions or
?? advice on how to start planning this trip would be much
?? appreciated.

t Starting out from where?

t Travel by car or train (or something else)?

t Bringing a car with you or hiring one?

t What are your interests?

t Whichever way, you might like to consider using
t one of these:

t http://www.fjord-pass.com/default.asp

A long time ago (and I mean a *very* long time ago!) the
Norwegian State Railroads used to put together such tours using
ferries, trains, buses and even taxis. The hotel bookings and
transportation bookings were also part of the self-guided tour
and my wife and I really enjoyed the experience. I wonder if
they still do anything of the sort.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old April 6th, 2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Cactus

You are planning ahead. You may want to prebook some accommodations.
The train is great. I took it from Oslo to Alesund and flew down to Bergen
then took the train to Oslo.
Do take the Norway in a nutshell day trip. Check the train schedule I got it
wrong so did not get a day trip into Geiranger (sp?)
Norway is so rugged and the people are so independent.
If you can maybe you could also get a train trip into Stockholm
If you really intend on that length of time you might try some coastal boats
that go up to trondheim.

http://www.visitnorway.com/

This site looks good. Maybe a combined rail,boat trip city coast and some
fjord travel.

Good look

t...

Old April 7th, 2007, 08:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Dwerryhouse

"Cactus" writes:

You are planning ahead. You may want to prebook some accommodations.
The train is great. I took it from Oslo to Alesund and flew down to Bergen
then took the train to Oslo.

If you have the time, however, it's well worth catching ferries (and buses,
where appropriate) through the fjords.

I went in the other direction, Bergen to Alesund, first taking a ferry to
Balestrand and then on to Fjaerland, and from there, a bus to Stryn and
finally to Alesund. Some photos of the things you'll see if you take a
similar route are he http://leapster.org/paul/photos/norway/

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584
Paul's travel photos:
Old April 7th, 2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On Mar 4, 11:42 am, "rmk" wrote:
Is the right place to get info on travelling to Norway. In July 2008 my wife
and I would like like to spend 2 to 3 weeks on a self guided tour of Norway.
Any suggestions or advice on how to start planning this trip would be much
appreciated.

You might consider taking one of the many coastal cruises of Norway,
since many of the major place of interest are on the West coast. Some
of these voyages are brief, while others take 2 weeks or more,
stopping at different ports in each direction, and going as far north
as the Russian border. Of particular interest is the town of Alesund,
which is charming for its art nouveau architecture (It was destroyed
in a fire at the end of the 19th century and rebuilt by the Kaiser of
Germany in the then contemporary style. He spent his vacations there)

You could combine the coastal journey of your choice with a bus or
train trip covering Oslo and some of the beautiful regions in the
interior of the country. LW

Old April 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article om,
" wrote:

On Mar 4, 11:42 am, "rmk" wrote:
[...]

I took the Hurtigrute north and then flew back to Oslo from Kirkenes.
Wonderful trip!

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo