Can someone recommend an emergency passport renewal service?

Old December 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
David Wake

Default Can someone recommend an emergency passport renewal service?

My wife and I are planning a trip to Brazil over New Year: only today
did I realize that my wife's passport expires in February 2008. This
is comfortably long enough to cover our planned vacation, except that
Brazil will not issue a visa unless your passport is valid for six
months _after_ the planned entry date into Brazil: see

http://www.brazilsf.org/visa_tourist_eng.htm

So we need to renew my wife's US passport ASAP. I called to arrange
an in-person renewal at the San Francisco passport office but the
earliest appointment I could get was for December 11. That means that
we won't be able to submit the Brazil visa application until December
12: the consulate takes seven working days on average to process the
visa and so we would be in real danger of missing our outbound flight
on December 25.

So I think the best option would be to go with a commercial expedited
passport renewal service. Does anyone have any advice or
recommendations on which one to go for?

Thanks!

David
Old December 4th, 2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
BrianK

On 12/3/2007 5:14 PM David Wake plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger and
said:
[...]

My father was in a similar bind. His Birth Certificate had his name
as it was spelled in Czech. In daily usage it was said the same but the
spelling was changed when he entered school to make for easier
pronunciation. So he had a photo drivers license spelled one way and the
Birth Certificate spelled another.

There wasn't enough time for a legal name change. I called my
Senator's local office. I explained the dilemma. The fixed it so he
could go on a cruise with only his drivers license, and a document that
a "spelling error" on his Birth Certificate was in the process of being
corrected. He also got a document stating his Passport was pending.

So give your Senator or Representative's office a call. One or the
other may be able to assist you with a rush application.

--
________
Brian M. Kochera
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
katleman

On Dec 3, 2:14 pm, David Wake wrote:
So I think the best option would be to go with a commercial expedited
passport renewal service. Does anyone have any advice or
recommendations on which one to go for?

My company had to send me to France on several weeks
notice, they used Visa Network (San Francisco) to get
my passport in 7 days.

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Here and Kickin'

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, David Wake wrote:

So we need to renew my wife's US passport ASAP. I called to arrange
an in-person renewal at the San Francisco passport office but the
earliest appointment I could get was for December 11. That means that
we won't be able to submit the Brazil visa application until December
12: the consulate takes seven working days on average to process the
visa and so we would be in real danger of missing our outbound flight
on December 25.

So I think the best option would be to go with a commercial expedited
passport renewal service. Does anyone have any advice or
recommendations on which one to go for?

Don't. If such a creature exists, they still have to deal with the same
government agency, and not for free; you'll be introducing delays, also.
Take a look at:

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport...ncies_913.html

A co-worker paid the expedite fee to the government passport processors
last year, and the result wasn't good (The wait was longer than three
weeks). I believe I saw a story on "60 Minutes" earlier this year about
the State Department's inability to keep up with the passport applications
rolling in.

Is there a way to reschedule your vacation so you can get what you need?

-d

Old December 13th, 2007, 02:57 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Hatunen

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 02:30:53 GMT, Here and Kickin'
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, David Wake wrote:

So we need to renew my wife's US passport ASAP. I called to arrange
an in-person renewal at the San Francisco passport office but the
earliest appointment I could get was for December 11. That means that
we won't be able to submit the Brazil visa application until December
12: the consulate takes seven working days on average to process the
visa and so we would be in real danger of missing our outbound flight
on December 25.

So I think the best option would be to go with a commercial expedited
passport renewal service. Does anyone have any advice or
recommendations on which one to go for?

Don't. If such a creature exists, they still have to deal with the same
government agency, and not for free; you'll be introducing delays, also.
Take a look at:

In view of the fact that his passport office appoint was for 11
December and it is now 12 December, I would guess your post is
moot.