"I Am Not American" Web Site Adds Designs, Languages, Merchandise

Old December 14th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default "I Am Not American" Web Site Adds Designs, Languages, Merchandise

Nathan Rebney wrote:
Karen wrote:
You know, Nathan, I have a feeling you get all the shirts you want
for free.

Nope. Pay full price. In fact I got an Email saying my shirt
was being shipped. Would you like me to post it for you?

Given my understanding of how cafepress.com works, this doesn't prove
anything one way or the other about your affiliation.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 15th, 2003, 07:41 AM
Karen

On 14 Dec 2003 01:01:48 -0800, (Nathan Rebney)
wrote:

Karen wrote in message . ..
It's an "I don't buy it."

Visit
www.iam.ca. I am. Canadian (tm)

If somebody asked if I were Canadian , as you did, answering
negatively that I am not is not offensive. But if no one has asked
the question and you just feel the need to wear the negative
statement on your chest, you're making "a statement" IMO.

So, it's not offensive to say "I am not Canadian", then?
What's the difference whether it's written or verbal? There is no
difference. To say there is makes no sense. Saying "I don't want to
go to your party" is not different to sending a card decling. Saying
you're against the war is no different to wearing a t-shirt with the
same message.

There is only a difference because you are looking at the
negative side of the message, and for you to say that one medium is
acceptable but another is not, is hypocritical.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Old December 15th, 2003, 08:06 AM
Karen

On 14 Dec 2003 00:51:05 -0800, (Nathan Rebney)
wrote:

Karen wrote in message . ..

I'm annoyed by the coy and
disingenuous disclaimers "This is only a means of identification,
nothing against Americans."

Maybe they're not just disclaimers...just the truth? Ever stop
to think you're looking for something that just isn't there, but you
can't grasp the concept that someone may not hate/dislike/whatever
term you want to use folks from the USA yet may not want to be
identified as one?

Okay, if you say so. You have your opinion and I have mine. This is
going nowhere and it's getting boring.

You know, Nathan, I have a feeling you get all the shirts you want
for free.

Nope. Pay full price. In fact I got an Email saying my shirt
was being shipped. Would you like me to post it for you?

You are the OP of this thread, according to your IP
address in the headers of the OP and the recent posts with your name.

I have noticed that myself, actually. I thought it was because I
was posting through Google. My IP on my internet connection is
similar - different, but similar - and I'm not using any firewall.
Perhaps we're using the same ISP? Odds are good, because the high
speed options are limited

No, your IP is *exactly* the same as the original poster who used the
website address as a name.. "An IP address is like a street address
for your computer. Each node on the Internet has a unique numeric
address called its IP address. These addresses are four strings
separated by dots (periods).
(207.6.32.205) An IP address is a unique identifier.

You have sent announcements of the "I am not American" website to
numerous newsgroups and other internet forums.

I've posted a few, because I have always thought it was a good
idea.

More than a few, and dating all the way back to at least March.

Are you perhaps the owner of the site???

Nope. Sorry to disappoint you.

Are you genuinely interested in this discussion
or are you using it as a means of drumming up more interest--spamming?

Well, if you think about it, if I was just spamming, I wouldn't be
checking back now, would I? :-) But hey, nice way to change the
topic.

Sure you would. Getting people to talk about your product is a good
way to drum up interest. Not changing the topic--ending it because I
have no wish be a part of your marketing ploy. Wear your shirts in
good health.
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:38 AM
Shashay Doofray

Absolutely brilliant. I AM an American, but the last thing I would want to
do, if traveling to other countries, is admit it.

I can't wait to buy one for my trip to Mexico.

SD

Old December 20th, 2003, 12:39 AM
Shashay Doofray

"Geoff Miller" wrote in message

Schultz writes:

And since Americans seem to be too lazy to study
foreign languages, they'll have to believe you.

Americans aren't "too lazy" to study foreign languages.
We simply have no practical need to do so. This is
because of the sheer size of our country and the cor-
responding lack of proximity to peoples nattering in
other tongues. Hell, we have mere *counties* that are
bigger than a lot of those cute little European nations.

ObTopical: English is the international language of
aviation. I bet that ****es off the fashionable
America-haters something fierce, and particularly
galls (heh) the French.

Oh and besides, we're right and everybody else is wrong...n'est pas?

SD

Old December 20th, 2003, 05:58 AM

Schultz writes:

And since Americans seem to be too lazy to study
foreign languages, they'll have to believe you.

Americans aren't "too lazy" to study foreign languages.
We simply have no practical need to do so. This is
because of the sheer size of our country and the cor-
responding lack of proximity to peoples nattering in
other tongues. Hell, we have mere *counties* that are
bigger than a lot of those cute little European nations.

ObTopical: English is the international language of
aviation. I bet that ****es off the fashionable
America-haters something fierce, and particularly
galls (heh) the French.

Oh and besides, we're right and everybody else is wrong...n'est pas?

SD

It's Gauls and n'est-ce pas, you idiot.

Old December 20th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Miguel Cruz

Shashay Doofray wrote:
Absolutely brilliant. I AM an American, but the last thing I would want to
do, if traveling to other countries, is admit it.

Everyone will know (nothing about you in particular, just that's how it is).

I can't wait to buy one for my trip to Mexico.

Combining obvious Americanness with a T-shirt disclaiming such would
probably come off as pretty weird.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old December 21st, 2003, 04:23 AM
Schultz

Miguel Cruz wrote:

Shashay Doofray wrote:
Absolutely brilliant. I AM an American, but the last thing I would want to
do, if traveling to other countries, is admit it.

Everyone will know (nothing about you in particular, just that's how it is).

Bull****. They might THINK they know, but that's just arrogance
and prejudice. People in Ontario act and talk just like
Americans.
Old December 21st, 2003, 06:10 PM
Nathan Rebney

Karen wrote in message . ..

Okay, if you say so. You have your opinion and I have mine. This is
going nowhere and it's getting boring.

What's up? Unable to prove your point? :-) Giving up so easily?
How very disappointing. Just joking of course, but maybe now you
understand your opinion (and you're welcome to it, of course) is
biased and incorrect. As for being boring...your "is too...is
too...is too..." argument was a little repetitive. But hey, that
happens from time to time.

No, your IP is *exactly* the same as the original poster who used the
website address as a name.

No, my IP is not *exactly* the same as the original poster who
used the website address as a name. Using my 'network' info, I can
see my IP as provided by the DHCP server, and it's different. I know
because I am required to enter my IP for some other things...and it's
not that .205 or whatever it is. I'd post if for you but you'd
probably say it was fake or something.

More than a few, and dating all the way back to at least March.

The guy sold me a couple of his shirts before he went to that
cafepress.com mob and provided me with great service. I believe in
supporting the little guy. If you search hard enough, you'll see me
posting supportive comments for other web sites, shirt designs and
'small-guy' operations.

Sure you would. Getting people to talk about your product is a good way to drum up interest.

I suppose that is a valid point. There's no such thing as bad
publicity. But accusing someone of having an undeclared interest in
the thread is a good way to get out of a thread early and try winning
some 'points' in the debate, too. Could go either way.

Not changing the topic--ending it because I have no wish be a part of your marketing ploy.
Wear your shirts in good health.

And you too. Live long and prosper.
Merry Christmas
Old December 22nd, 2003, 12:13 AM
Karen

On 21 Dec 2003 10:10:16 -0800, (Nathan Rebney)
wrote:

No, my IP is not *exactly* the same as the original poster who
used the website address as a name. Using my 'network' info, I can
see my IP as provided by the DHCP server, and it's different. I know
because I am required to enter my IP for some other things...and it's
not that .205 or whatever it is. I'd post if for you but you'd
probably say it was fake or something.

Header of original poster:

Subject: "I Am Not American" Web Site Adds Designs, Languages,
Merchandise