Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:19 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

"Steven M. O'Neill" wrote in message
Here's a light rail map
http://www.mylightrail.com/index.php...ions&Itemid=90

The hotel is near the Lincoln Harbor stop.

(You could also take the light rail to Exchange Place, and then
the PATH to lower Manhattan -- there's a nice view and a
striking statue dedicated to the WWII massacre in Katyn, Poland)

--
Steven O'Neill
Brooklyn, NY

Thank you Steven. Nice to learn about this train system along the Hudson in
NJ. Much thanks.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Michael Finfer" wrote in message
I assume along these PATH stops in NYC, we can transfer to NYC MTA subway
system easily?
Why is fare so much better at $1.75 a pop, compare to Waterway Ferry at
Lincoln Harbor to 39th for $7.75 ?

PATH subsidized by other Port Authority revenue sources such as bridge and
tunnel tolls. The ferries are a private operation and must cover their
costs and produce a profit from fares.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Thank you Michael. Seems subway commut to Manhattan is better, quicker and
cheaper.
So far, I found in the internet travel booking sites, NJ hotels along the
Hudson are not much cheaper compare with Manhattan hotels. Granted, NJ
hotels are typically one star rating higher to comparable priced Manhattan
hotels. Do you agree?

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:28 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long taxi
ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter continues
to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic. Not to mention
the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near death experience
every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which is something that I
try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much taxi
fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day unlimited
rides type of pass? How much?

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:30 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Slim" wrote in message

We like your idea of booking something now in Manhattan and try to get
better deal as time gets closer. But we do not know how? All these
internet hotel booking sites requires you to PAY now when booked, and
almost impossible to cancel or changes, once you make the purchase.

Ever think of researching hotels for location/price and then calling them
DIRECTLY? ;-)

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

We read Tripadvisor reviews religously. But Tripadvisor hotel prices
typically are not discounted.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 09:42 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

There's now a W hotel in Hoboken (the only hotel in Hoboken), on the
river, a few blocks from the NJT/PATH station. Presumably they're
competitive with all the other classy chains you're talking about.

Travelocity rate for W Hotel on Oct 26 is $355 per night cheapest room. May
be for business, but unable to afford for vacation. LOL.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:02 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"John Levine" wrote in message

If you're coming from Boston, Hartford, or New London, the Amtrak
train is a reasonable alternative. You can take a taxi from Penn
Station to a hotel anywhere in midtown and not pay a huge amount.
From New Haven or points south there's the MTA commuter train to
Grand Central, which also has taxis.

Is there commuter train or bus from Boston to Hartford, Connecticut to
Manhattan?

I assume it will be nightmare to take Manhattan MTA subway with lugguages?

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:17 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Bolwerk" wrote in message
m...

We like this short term apartment in Matthattan for a week deal?
Where can we find it and how to learn more? We don't mind tidy up before
we leave.

I've never done it myself, being that I live in NYC, but many of my
friends in Europe like to do it that way when they visit. Have you
considered putting an ad on Craigslist? Or looking for one? Maybe check
out Village Voice for "short-term rentals" (or something to that effect).

I'm guessing if you go this route, now is the time to do it.

Yes, we listed on Craigslist. Got several short term vacation rentals
we hard know anything about NYC, can you please tell us how to define safe
and reasonably pleasant neighborhood? Say how far north on East side and how
far north on West side we should look? Should we not look above 120th
Street?

We obviously unable to tell by Google Street View. Thank you.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Slim" wrote in message

But PLEASE don't stay in Noo Joisey. It can take you an hour or more late
night to get back to your hotel.

Slim, I kind of agree with you. So far, unable to find any significant
attactively priced NJ Hotels on Hudson near PATH stations. May be somebody
can enlight me a little here. Thank you.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Chris" wrote in message
Not sure what you count as reasonable, but this is a nice place:
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ooklyn-bridge/
It's very close to the subway, and has reasonable parking rates.
If you are a Marriott Rewards member you can usually get a pretty good deal.
Chris

Thank you Chris. For Brooklyn Marriott,
Travelocity and Quikbook rate are exactly the same $359 per night on Oct 26.
Yes, we are Marriott Rewards member, Marriott web site price is also same
$359 per night.

Actually, Courtyard Jersey City Newport is listed $179 per night.

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:53 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long
taxi ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic.
Not to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near
death experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which
is something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much
taxi fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day
unlimited rides type of pass? How much?

There are a few discounted Metrocards:

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Things to know:
Pay Per Ride:

For example, a $20 purchase gives you $23 on your card.
Bus and subway rides deduct $2.25 for each passenger, one swipe at a
time.
The pay per ride allows up to four people at the same time to ride.
Transfers to and from buses require only one swipe for the party.
It's also good on the PATH ($1.75 per person), but no transfers are
given to NYC buses or subway, if you start on PATH from NJ.

Unlimited rides (one, seven, and thirty days, but I guess the one day or
week would be OK for you):

The single day and week long unlimited may only be used by one
person at a time, so each in your party must have their own card.
They are NOT good on PATH.
The time starts when you first use the card.
Daily cards are good until 3:00am the next day and weekly cards are
good until midnight seven days later.

To decide which to buy, figure out how many rides you expect to take. I
suppose if you plan many rides, the $27 seven day might be good, even if
you're here for a few days. One day cards cost $8.25, so even three
days at five rides a day, you're ahead. But remember no PATH rides with
these and each of you needs your own card.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |