Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:31 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-22 20:10:24 -0400, "Sancho Panza"

On 2009-08-21 22:14:25 -0400, "Sancho Panza"
said:

"ARL" wrote in message
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in
Queens or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we
get from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

The Sheraton is quite a nice establishment. It has inclusive packages
for the ferry, which runs up to 10:50 p.m. and includes free bus
shuttles to nearby terminal at Port Imperiale. On the Manhattan side,
more than a dozen free bus routes circulatefrequently through midtown
and downtown Manhattan. The ferry also runs to Pier 11 on the East
River, near what is left of the South Streeet Seaport. In addition to
the Sheraton's informative Web site, here is one of the more relevant
URL's:
http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/Ridet...ule.aspx?ID=99

And

senior

rates on transportation usually start at 62 in New Jersey.

So if they are out past eleven PM, whats it going to cost to get home
safely?

A cab would be fifty bucks.

It will cost $1.15 for a 10- to 12-minute ride to the Lincoln Harbor
station on the No. 126 which runs until 2 a.m. Or if they're really late
birds, they can catch the 5:30 a.m.

And if they are in Mid-Manhattan, where do they get the 126?

In the scuzzhole known as the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

Maybe it would be worthwhile to pay a visit to the 300 level of the annex.
It's busier after 10 p.m. than at any other time except the peak of the
afternoon rush hour.

Old August 24th, 2009, 02:32 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 2009-08-22 20:14:04 -0400, "Sancho Panza"

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:
Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

Yes, Slim. We have tried many internet booking sites and
read-contribute TripAdvisors religiously.
However, the major problems these internet booking sites, they require
you to PAY now.
Almost impossible to make any changes or cancellations. We certainly
like to know and want to pick up better deal when late October get
closer. Don't you agree?

Always look for a better deal....I agree.

But PLEASE don't stay in Noo Joisey. It can take you an hour or more
late night to get back to your hotel.

In reality, it's 10 to 12 minutes. See below.

Nothing below.

It's the reference to the No. 126 bus, a few posts down.

Old August 24th, 2009, 05:06 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

So that means they would have to burn two hours a day getting to/from
the hotel.

Thats no bargain.

So who is suggesting they stay in Newark

There are many fancy hotels in "the new downtown" Jersey City, one
stop, 5 minutes, from WTC.

That is the time for the ride, but the trip has to be considered
"door-to-door".

You make it sound like its 5 minutes from the hotel (which could cost
just as much as one in the city) to WTC.

I guess you've never walked out the main entrance of the Hyatt and
crossed the street to the Exchange Place PATH entrance.
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:44 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-22 22:21:38 -0400, Michael Finfer said:

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

[...]

Thats right. I never have.

It it still takes longer than 5 minutes from the Hyatt to WTC. ;-)

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:08 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 22, 4:28*pm, "ATM" wrote:

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day unlimited
rides type of pass? How much?

The base one-way subway fare is $2.25 which includes a transfer to a
bus if needed.

There are mutli-ride discounts; see the www.mta.info website.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:10 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 22, 5:02*pm, "ATM" wrote:

Is there commuter train or bus from Boston to Hartford, Connecticut to
Manhattan?

No, but Amtrak offers frequent service from those points.

I assume it will be nightmare to take Manhattan MTA subway with lugguages?

That depends on the time of travel, amount of luggage, and ability of
the traveller to carry the luggage on the train and up steps. People
in good shape do it often. If you can't carry all of your luggage
yourself up at least two flights of steps, then the subway with
luggage is not a good option.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Aug 23, 8:20*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

And no, you don't need to buy a SmartCard. The machines still sell non-
reuseable cards.

For a visitor it may be easier to pay a la carte one-way fares rather
than try and figure out multi-ride discounts which may not even be a
very big saving. A lot depends on their plans.
Old August 24th, 2009, 09:36 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Michael Finfer" wrote in message
No. 15 minutes on NJ Transit to Penn Station if they want to go uptown
unless they can't afford the $7 off peak round trip. If they are going to
make at least five round trips in a calendar week, they could buy a weekly
ticket for roughly the same amount of money, and then they could go back
and forth as much as they want for a flat price.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Dear Michael, is there any weekly NYC MTA subway ticket, or tourist package
type stuff?

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:51 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

I guess you've never walked out the main entrance of the Hyatt and
crossed the street to the Exchange Place PATH entrance.

We do not mind doing some walking, which most Americans (particularly us
from California), do not have much of.

Old August 24th, 2009, 09:52 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
ATM

"Joseph D. Korman" wrote in message
http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Things to know:
Pay Per Ride:

For example, a $20 purchase gives you $23 on your card. Bus and
subway rides deduct $2.25 for each passenger, one swipe at a
time.
The pay per ride allows up to four people at the same time to ride.
Transfers to and from buses require only one swipe for the party.
It's also good on the PATH ($1.75 per person), but no transfers are
given to NYC buses or subway, if you start on PATH from NJ.

Unlimited rides (one, seven, and thirty days, but I guess the one day or
week would be OK for you):

The single day and week long unlimited may only be used by one
person at a time, so each in your party must have their own card. They
are NOT good on PATH.
The time starts when you first use the card.
Daily cards are good until 3:00am the next day and weekly cards are
good until midnight seven days later.

To decide which to buy, figure out how many rides you expect to take. I
suppose if you plan many rides, the $27 seven day might be good, even if
you're here for a few days. One day cards cost $8.25, so even three days
at five rides a day, you're ahead. But remember no PATH rides with these
and each of you needs your own card.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |

Thank you Joseph,
OK. Two of us will be in NYC on Oct 26 to 31 (to avoid Halloween and NYC
Marathon).
We probably do average 2 return trip each person (4 trip total) per day.
So, one signle regular MetroCard is probably good for us party of two?
How much should we get $45? Can we get our money back if we do not use up
all $45?
The MetroCard vanding machines available at all MTA stations?
The MetroCard web site does not tell me what qualify for reduced fare?