is it too late for cheap fares to Europe?!

Old April 7th, 2004, 02:10 AM
abdul rahim

Default is it too late for cheap fares to Europe?!

suddenly, as of april 1, round-trip fares in May to Athens (from
Dulles) went up from $900 to $1,200!

Will there be another chance at a reasonable fare? I'd thought $900
was too much, but goddamn! $1,200 hurts.
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:09 AM
Miernik

In rec.travel.europe abdul rahim wrote:
suddenly, as of april 1, round-trip fares in May to Athens (from
Dulles) went up from $900 to $1,200!

Will there be another chance at a reasonable fare? I'd thought $900
was too much, but goddamn! $1,200 hurts.

Make a transfer somewhere in London, Manchester, Paris or Bruxelles
and buy a cheap flight from there to Athens at
http://www.hellas-jet.com/main/default.aspx

For example London Gatwick to Athens, 10 may, and return 20 may,
will be total 226.63 EUR if bought now, that's about 280 USD.

I don't know how much Dulles - London might be, but there is a big chance
it will be much cheaper then 1200$ in total.

--
Miernik ________________________
___________________/__ tel: +48888299997 __/
Old April 7th, 2004, 03:55 AM
Sergio

This is from Expidia.com You may have to change in Paris

these flights are for May 8 to May 28

non stop

1 stop

2+ stops
All Results

from $786

from $837
Air France

from $786

from $837
British Airways

from $831

United Airlines

from $1187

from $911
Lufthansa

from $968

Continental

from $1977
KLM

Old April 7th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Frank F. Matthews

It is possible that you are hitting an advance purchase restriction.
Try a consolidator. They often have advance purchase rates without the
date restrictions. FFM

Old April 7th, 2004, 04:15 PM
jenn

abdul rahim wrote:

suddenly, as of april 1, round-trip fares in May to Athens (from
Dulles) went up from $900 to $1,200!

Will there be another chance at a reasonable fare? I'd thought $900
was too much, but goddamn! $1,200 hurts.

most years there is a dip in early spring -- but this year that didn't
happen -- most flights are pretty full now so only with flexibility and
good luck will cheap seats be likely hope your luck is better than that
though
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:39 AM
Frank F. Matthews

But, strangely enough, today Continental began a business class sale for
the summer. Unfortunately I don't think Athens was included. FFM

Old April 8th, 2004, 03:19 PM
jenn

Frank F. Matthews wrote:
But, strangely enough, today Continental began a business class sale for
the summer. Unfortunately I don't think Athens was included. FFM

if one checks in the middle of the night frequently sometimes great
fares pop up momentarily as well -- but we didn't find that happening
much leading up to this summer

Old April 9th, 2004, 11:44 PM
poldy

In article , jenn
wrote:

if one checks in the middle of the night frequently sometimes great
fares pop up momentarily as well -- but we didn't find that happening
much leading up to this summer

You mean if you run the same query at say delta.com that you had made
during the day in the "middle of the night," you'll get a lower fare
returned?

For the same itinerary and flight no.?
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Frank F. Matthews

You might. Many of the data base changes on fares & seat status are
changed in the night at the home of the airline. FFM