7 hour stopover in Shanghai -- is that enough time for a quick visit to the city?

Old March 31st, 2008, 05:03 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

Default 7 hour stopover in Shanghai -- is that enough time for a quickvisit to the city?

On Mar 30, 8:00*pm, Bubba wrote:
On Sun, 30 Mar 2008 09:52:13 -0700 (PDT), PeterL
wrote:

On Mar 29, 7:51*pm, Gordon Zola wrote:
I will be passing through Pudong airport from Vancouver to Chengdu and
will have about 7 hours at Pudong. I've never been to Shanghai and
would like to have a look if possible. Arriving around 14:00 and
continuing flight at about 2100 (Shanghai Airlines) on Sunday Apr 6.

Is that enough time for a quick look?

What will traffic be like going back to the airport at around 19:00?
How long by taxi might it be?

I don't speak any Chinese... how can I make sure the taxi driver
understands where I want to go?

Any suggestions appreciated.

GZ

See if you can find an English speaking taxi driver and hire him for
the whole day, rather than spend time trying to find a taxi back to
the airport. *You have time to take in a tour of the Bund.

But what are you going to do with your luggage?

I'm guessing that there will be lockers at the airport. But I have no
clue how easy they are to use, or the risk that I couldn't find my
locker back or that it would balk and not return my bags when I need
them.

GZ-

I haven't seen a locker in an airport for years.
Old March 31st, 2008, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article 01962c19-88c5-4fc5-b1df-92a733effd38
@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

I haven't seen a locker in an airport for years.

Helsinki airport has lockers (to make an example).
--

Alfred Molon
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 30, 11:07*pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article 01962c19-88c5-4fc5-b1df-92a733effd38
@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com, PeterL says...

I haven't seen a locker in an airport for years.

Helsinki airport has lockers (to make an example).

Never been to Helsinki, so my statement stands. And this just proves
my point. Not that there aren't any, but airports with lockers are
becoming fewer and fewer. Modern airports such as Shanghai Pudong
would not have lockers. It's the terrorism thing.

--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

Old March 31st, 2008, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

I'm guessing that there will be lockers at the airport. But I have no
clue how easy they are to use, or the risk that I couldn't find my
locker back or that it would balk and not return my bags when I need
them.

GZ

http://www.shanghaiairport.com/en/pd...=OUT_CON_B0190
Luggage Storage

Location Domestic Arrival Hall (Between No. 8-9 Door) Tel:68346324
International Arrival Hall (Between No. 10-11 Door) Tel: 68346078
International Departure Hall (Between No. 14-15 Door ) Tel: 68345035
Domestic Departure Hall (Between No. 5-6 Door ) Tel: 68345021
Service Time 6:00--Flight over
Related Policies Passengers should show the flight ticket and valid
certificate before registration.

Old March 31st, 2008, 11:47 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Mar 31, 12:51*pm, "Steve Cain" wrote:
I'm guessing that there will be lockers at the airport. But I have no
clue how easy they are to use, or the risk that I couldn't find my
locker back or that it would balk and not return my bags when I need
them.

GZ

http://www.shanghaiairport.com/en/pd...=OUT_CON_B0190
Luggage Storage

* * * Location Domestic Arrival Hall (Between No. 8-9 Door) Tel:68346324
* * * * International Arrival Hall (Between No. 10-11 Door) Tel: 68346078
* * * * International Departure Hall (Between No. 14-15 Door ) Tel: 68345035
* * * * Domestic Departure Hall (Between No. 5-6 Door ) Tel: 68345021
* * * Service Time 6:00--Flight over
* * * Related Policies Passengers should show the flight ticket and valid
certificate before registration.

Luggage storage is not locker. Luggage storage has a store front and
employees taking your luggage. Lockers are open and coin operated.
Old April 1st, 2008, 12:23 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

"PeterL" wrote in message
[...]

Dude: OP or the risk that I couldn't find my
locker back or that it would balk and not return my bags when I need
them.

Solution.......Luggage Storage.....s