Travel medical insurance for US citizen

Old February 15th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Marco

Default Travel medical insurance for US citizen

I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Old February 15th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Joseph Meehan

Marco wrote:
I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Check with your current medical insurance. Many will cover you when you
are out of the country. Even when they have very restricted providers while
in your home area and the area they cover, they usually provide coverage
when you are out of the country.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Hatunen

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:53:27 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
wrote:

Marco wrote:
I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Check with your current medical insurance. Many will cover you when you
are out of the country. Even when they have very restricted providers while
in your home area and the area they cover, they usually provide coverage
when you are out of the country.

But you usually have to pay out-of=pocket and turn in the bills
for reimbursement, since out-of-country providers are unlikely to
bill directly.

Still, med care is a lot cheaper other places, and a credit card
should cover it nicely.

In my case, I'm on Medicare, which doesn't pay anything at all
for out-of-country medical care, but my supplemental plan does.

Old February 15th, 2005, 11:10 PM
chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn

wrote:

Marco wrote:
I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Check with your current medical insurance. Many will cover you when you
are out of the country. Even when they have very restricted providers while
in your home area and the area they cover, they usually provide coverage
when you are out of the country.

But you usually have to pay out-of=pocket and turn in the bills
for reimbursement, since out-of-country providers are unlikely to
bill directly.

Still, med care is a lot cheaper other places, and a credit card
should cover it nicely.

I'm aware that this may not cover the need of the OP, but in the UK,
emergency medical coverage is free to anyone, regardless of their status
in the UK. You should be charged if you went to see an NHS doctor, but
even that is not certain. There are also walk-in centres in towns and
cities, which are not likely to charge.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 16th, 2005, 03:45 AM
Alec

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gs1s65.ql9gyv1rdj8geN%this_address_is_for_sp ...

wrote:

Marco wrote:
[...]

But only treatment in the Accident and Emergency Dept of a hospital (or
walk-in centre). If you are subsequently admitted into a ward (say a
coronary care after a heart attack), any treatment and care will be
chargeable. A new system has come in recently (Apr 04) which makes it almost
certain that any NHS hospital will ask for payment (though not upfront) or
insurance details. Different rules apply to EU/EEA citizens and those
nationals with reciprocal agreement (e.g Australians, NZers, Russians).

Alec

Old February 16th, 2005, 11:09 AM

Alec wrote:

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message

[]
I'm aware that this may not cover the need of the OP, but in the UK,
emergency medical coverage is free to anyone, regardless of their status
in the UK. You should be charged if you went to see an NHS doctor, but
even that is not certain. There are also walk-in centres in towns and
cities, which are not likely to charge.

But only treatment in the Accident and Emergency Dept of a hospital (or
walk-in centre). If you are subsequently admitted into a ward (say a
coronary care after a heart attack), any treatment and care will be
chargeable. A new system has come in recently (Apr 04) which makes it almost
certain that any NHS hospital will ask for payment (though not upfront) or
insurance details. Different rules apply to EU/EEA citizens and those
nationals with reciprocal agreement (e.g Australians, NZers, Russians).

The US doesn't have such agreements, of course. In the unlikely event of
that happening (most people visiting the UK for two months don't get
admitted to a ward) there is not much of a mechanism in place for the
NHS to pursue payment. In a private hospital, they would be more
accustomed to it.

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old February 20th, 2005, 01:43 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

I have American Express's travel medical policy which covers
me for anything my primary coverage does not, anywhere
more than 100 miles from home. (Since neither Medicare nor
my Blue Cross supplement cover me in Europe, that means
everything, when I'm abroad.) It's an annual premium (which
varies according to age) but I'm over 65 and pay $136 a year
for coverage up to $100,000, which I think is pretty good.
I've had occasion to use it twice, and the reimbursement
check arrived almost by return mail, once I sent in the
documentation (explanation of the situation, plus copies of
the receipted bills from physician and pharmacy).

Old February 20th, 2005, 01:45 AM

Joseph Meehan wrote:

Marco wrote:

I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Check with your current medical insurance. Many will cover you when you
are out of the country. Even when they have very restricted providers while
in your home area and the area they cover, they usually provide coverage
when you are out of the country.

Depends upon age - Medicare will not cover you overseas, nor
will many Medicare supplements. (Mine does not, although
I've been told some do.)

Old February 20th, 2005, 12:10 PM
Joseph Meehan

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Joseph Meehan wrote:

Marco wrote:

I am looking for a good travel medical insurance provider for
a US citizen who is going to spend two months in the UK.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Marco

Check with your current medical insurance. Many will cover you
when you are out of the country. Even when they have very
restricted providers while in your home area and the area they
cover, they usually provide coverage when you are out of the country.

Depends upon age - Medicare will not cover you overseas, nor
will many Medicare supplements. (Mine does not, although
I've been told some do.)

That is why I suggested they check their insurance. Mine does and I am
retired. Not everyone is as lucky as I to have this coverage.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math