Booking a flight from UK to OZ

Old April 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM
xgkick

Default Booking a flight from UK to OZ

I'm visiting Australia in September and I'm currently looking at booking
a flight. I've been told that booking earlier will get me a cheaper
ticket.

I've been looking at the Qantas/BA online booking sites and I
discovered that my ticket for Sept will cost £780. However, if I
booked the same trip for April (this month) I would be able to get it
for £580.

Why is there such a big difference, and should I wait a bit
longer before booking my flight? Are there any disadvantages to
waiting?

thanks.

Old April 11th, 2004, 08:24 PM
AlmostBob

School holidays, spring, start of racing season, tourism big time starts in
September, April is the start of the 'down time' (compared to UK obviously
winter isnt such a big deal)

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Skippy

"xgkick" wrote in message

I'm visiting Australia in September and I'm currently looking at booking
a flight. I've been told that booking earlier will get me a cheaper
ticket.

I've been looking at the Qantas/BA online booking sites and I
discovered that my ticket for Sept will cost £780. However, if I
booked the same trip for April (this month) I would be able to get it
for £580.

Why is there such a big difference, and should I wait a bit
longer before booking my flight? Are there any disadvantages to
waiting?

thanks.

I went October last year and at the time of booking had a hell of a problem
getting any tickets that were cheap. Found out it was because of the Rugby
World Cup, BUT I did manage to find some tickets on Singapore Airlines for
£706 inc tax from Manchester and Heathrow. I booked mine in May 2003 and
booked via ebookers website so give them a try.

Must admit that the 777 used on the MAN-SIN leg was far better than the
747-400 on the SIN-SYD leg and vice verse. I would recommened Sinapore
Airlines to anyone.

Also have heard good things about Emirates and they are usually around
Singapore Airlines for price and now do the trip with 1 change in Dubai.

Skippy

--
To mail me use the following:

charlie hotel romeo india sierra dot hotel alpha yankee one at november
tango lima whiskey oscar romeo lima delta dot charlie oscar mike

Old April 12th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Tom Hatfield

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004 16:21:11 +0000, xgkick
wrote:

I'm visiting Australia in September and I'm currently looking at booking
a flight. I've been told that booking earlier will get me a cheaper
ticket.

travel to Australia has three definate price points, peak, sholder and
off-peak. You need to find what the exact dates for each period are -
I don't know - and then look for the best fares in that time period.

You probably are finding that current fares are off-peak and when you
want to come is peak, hence the big difference.

Tom
Old April 12th, 2004, 01:56 AM
Robin Nash

In Sep a cost of GBP 780.00 if that includes tax is about the best you will
get on BA/Qantas
I checked with the agent I use in the UK www.honatravel.com and they had the
following other options
Japan Airlines - 640.00 + tax
Korean Air - 660.00 + tax
BA/Qantas - 717.00 + tax
Singapore - 737.00 + tax

You will probably need to ring them (or email flight request) as many of
their fares are not shown on the website.

Old April 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Lyn

Think of it this way. Your flight equates to less than A$1900 (I'm assuming
it is a return ticket). We were quoted A$2400 to fly Qantas/BA to Europe in
May-June.

In Australia you can find some decent motel rooms for $60 a night (£25),
that won't even get you a double room in a youth hostel in the UK!

A cup of coffee is $2-3. A return train ticket from Melbourne-Warrnambool
(approx 3 hours) is $82, or $57 off-peak. If I were to walk up on the day
and book a ticket from Newcastle-on-Tyne to London (3 hours) it would cost
£80 ($190) one-way! Not to mention £19 one-way for London-Dover. etc etc etc

Don't worry about the initial airfare ... remember that when you get here
most things are 2-3 times cheaper (except domestic flights).

Most of all, have fun!

Cheers,

Lyn

Old April 12th, 2004, 04:34 PM
xgkick

Originally posted by Tom Hatfield
On Sun, 11 Apr 2004

16:21:11 +0000, xgkick
wrote:

I'm visiting Australia in September and I'm currently looking at

booking
a flight. I've been told that booking earlier will

get me a cheaper
ticket.

travel to Australia has

three definate price points, peak, sholder and
off-peak. You need to

find what the exact dates for each period are -
I don't know - and

then look for the best fares in that time period.

You probably are

finding that current fares are off-peak and when you
want to come is

peak, hence the big difference.

Tom

Thanks everyone for
the replies. It all makes sense now.

Old April 12th, 2004, 05:12 PM

Snip Snip
A cup of coffee is $2-3. A return train ticket from Melbourne-Warrnambool
(approx 3 hours) is $82, or $57 off-peak. If I were to walk up on the day
and book a ticket from Newcastle-on-Tyne to London (3 hours) it would cost
£80 ($190) one-way! Not to mention £19 one-way for London-Dover. etc etc etc

AT least here, hotdogs are usually around $2.50 ~$3.00 and not the
equivalent of $15.00 that I had to inadvertantly pay in London
town.....

Old April 13th, 2004, 12:36 AM
Keith Willshaw

"xgkick" wrote in message

I'm visiting Australia in September and I'm currently looking at booking
a flight. I've been told that booking earlier will get me a cheaper
ticket.

Usually true

I've been looking at the Qantas/BA online booking sites and I
discovered that my ticket for Sept will cost £780. However, if I
booked the same trip for April (this month) I would be able to get it
for £580.

Yep

Why is there such a big difference, and should I wait a bit
longer before booking my flight? Are there any disadvantages to
waiting?

Because of the market for long haul varying by year

DONT WAIT

Call a good travelagent, I Suggest trailfinders and STA

Keith