Cheap and safe around the world

Old September 16th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Cheap and safe around the world

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
My razor is pretty small. I like it because I can shave while doing other
things (reading, packing, etc.). Finding electricity is rarely a problem; at
least often enough to charge the batteries.

This brings me over to something I've been wondering about for a
while... at cheap "hostel" or other backpacker places -are there usually
electrical connectors people can get access to?
I'll be bringing a camcorder along, and need charging occasionally.

Yes, there's always something. You will be more popular if you bring one of
those little cubes that allows three or more devices to connect to a single
power point.

Barring the hostel, you can usually find one under your table at a
restaurant to charge up during dinner, along the bottom of the wall in an
airport while you're waiting for a flight, or hiding behind a pay phone or
vending machine or in a stairwell at a bus/train station.

miguel
Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.
Old September 16th, 2003, 06:21 PM

As for a pack, I did three months is Europe recently with a 65 litre travel
pack and I'll never do it again. Too heavy, too bulky, and inconveniently
shaped. That said, I'm probably gonna pick up a 45 or so litre top loading
pack for my next trip,

Are you saying you will go to a 45 liter REGUALR pack?
One that is NOT a travel pack?
Old September 16th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Miguel Cruz

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

(All prices in US$)

So basically, on my route I should look for (and normally won't have any
problems) finding a guesthouse in countries such as Thailand, Hong Kong,
Malaysia, Indonesia and Singapore, while Japan might be a place more
suited for youth hostels to fit a tight budget (though I hear that they
often have curfews at 9pm, which isn't exactly my cup of tea, being aged
36 and told to go to bed at that time).

In Thailand and Indonesia there's never any reason for a budget traveler to
do anything other than a guesthouse. You can choose your price and quality
from a few dollars on up.

In Malaysia it sort of depends on where you are. In the big cities you could
stay in a hostel for $5 or get a private (though not upscale) hotel room
with A/C for $15. Or do quite well for $25.

In Singapore it's the same story though a bit more expensive again.

In Hong Kong the hostels are unfortunately situated inconveniently (unless
some new ones have opened since I last paid attention) in the outskirts of
town. The old standard for budget travelers would be the twin firetraps of
Chunking Mansions and Mirador Arcade on Nathan Road in Kowloon, within
walking distance (well, walking + ferry for some stuff) of everything. Here
you can stay in a dorm ($15) or get a private room ($25+). The buildings are
both mixed-use residential and commercial; you just wander the halls
following signs pointing to apartments that have been converted into budget
hotels.

In Japan hostels are going to be more appealing.

How about Australia, New Zealand, Japan and USA? Their living standards
are of course higher than for example Thailand, but could I still find
cheapo places to stay?

New Zealand and Australia have loads of really excellent hostels (especially
New Zealand) at reasonable prices ($10+).

In the USA it's hit-or-miss. Some cities have no hostels at all. The places
that get lots of backpackers (New York, San Francisco, Miami, Los Angeles,
etc.) have a bunch. Usually $20 and up for a bed.

Old September 17th, 2003, 05:37 PM

Question for the group.....

Ive found this thread VERY interetsing.....and Ive read
some of the info and links and such.

However.... I confused abt something. Some of the web
sites profess traveling with only one bag.... a carry
on size convertible pack.

When going around the world..... or at least thru
multiple countries.... wont you need some things that
just wont fit into a carry on size bag?

I mean am I confusing two entirely different types of
travel.... one where you could survive with just a
single carry on and you will always be staying in a
place with a bed and such..... and another type of
travel that is more like true backpacking in the
wilderness where you might need to carry a sleeping bag
and such?
Old September 17th, 2003, 06:05 PM
Miguel Cruz

John wrote:
However.... I confused abt something. Some of the web sites profess
traveling with only one bag.... a carry on size convertible pack.

When going around the world..... or at least thru multiple countries....
wont you need some things that just wont fit into a carry on size bag?

Not normally. If it's a little soft, you can get a pretty decent-sized bag
into the carry-on-measurer at the airport. My backpack fits and it's all
I've needed.

I mean am I confusing two entirely different types of travel.... one where
you could survive with just a single carry on and you will always be
staying in a place with a bed and such.....

This is what people are talking about when they say "backpacking" in the
non-USA context. The word has a different meaning in the USA from everywhere
else.

USA: backpacking = hiking in the wilderness
Elsewhe backpacking = budget travel

and another type of travel that is more like true backpacking in the
wilderness where you might need to carry a sleeping bag and such?

You're probably not going to do this around the world.

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:32 PM
Christopher

Breakthrough: and here I was thinking that you all knew I wanted to do it
this way!

in article , Miguel Cruz at

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Christopher

Also, I just found out that I have like 5,000 in a savings account. I
wonder how cheap I could get around..? Take a look at this link.. it's
interesting:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...08/12/017.html

Old September 17th, 2003, 06:54 PM
Miguel Cruz

Christopher wrote:
Also, I just found out that I have like 5,000 in a savings account. I
wonder how cheap I could get around..? Take a look at this link.. it's
interesting:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/storie...08/12/017.html

You can get pretty far on $5000 even if you don't beg for food like this
guy. Just avoid expensive areas like Europe, Japan, and North America.