UK Carry-on Baggage Restrictions

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default UK Carry-on Baggage Restrictions

I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6). My backpack is
just a hair taller than 17.5 inches and I was wondering if they
actually measure everything down to the millimeter. If so, how? I'd
like to hear from people that have actually gone through the new
screening with carry-ons that are close to the limit.

Thanks

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Miss L. Toe

wrote in message
oups.com...
I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6). My backpack is
just a hair taller than 17.5 inches and I was wondering if they
actually measure everything down to the millimeter. If so, how? I'd
like to hear from people that have actually gone through the new
screening with carry-ons that are close to the limit.

Thanks

At LHR they are being as bad as the TSA - get yourself another carryon.

Old August 28th, 2006, 10:11 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jim Ley

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:01:40 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6). My backpack is
just a hair taller than 17.5 inches and I was wondering if they
actually measure everything down to the millimeter. If so, how? I'd
like to hear from people that have actually gone through the new
screening with carry-ons that are close to the limit.

At LHR they are being as bad as the TSA - get yourself another carryon.

On my two flights through, they were fine, my bag claims to be 2cm
oversize - but would squash down into size.

Jim.
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Miss L. Toe

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:01:40 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6). My backpack is
just a hair taller than 17.5 inches and I was wondering if they
actually measure everything down to the millimeter. If so, how? I'd
like to hear from people that have actually gone through the new
screening with carry-ons that are close to the limit.

At LHR they are being as bad as the TSA - get yourself another carryon.

On my two flights through, they were fine, my bag claims to be 2cm
oversize - but would squash down into size.

I went to LHR yesterday with someone who's bag was 1cm over sized and
wouldnt squash down any more - they wouldnt let it through.

Old August 28th, 2006, 12:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim \(back at home\)

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:01:40 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6). My backpack is
just a hair taller than 17.5 inches and I was wondering if they
actually measure everything down to the millimeter. If so, how? I'd
like to hear from people that have actually gone through the new
screening with carry-ons that are close to the limit.

At LHR they are being as bad as the TSA - get yourself another carryon.

On my two flights through, they were fine, my bag claims to be 2cm
oversize - but would squash down into size.

I went to LHR yesterday with someone who's bag was 1cm over sized and
wouldnt squash down any more - they wouldnt let it through.

Not letting someone who's bag won't squash down, pass,

and not letting people try and squash down bags which are
nominally too big

are not the same thing.

tim

Old August 28th, 2006, 01:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Miss L. Toe

"tim (back at home)" wrote in message

"Miss L. Toe" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"Jim Ley" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:01:40 +0100, "Miss L. Toe"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Wow - another Genius in the group.

Old August 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin - bogus address

I will be boarding at Gatwick and I was wondering how they are
enforcing the carry-on size restrictions (17.5X13.5X6).

They seemed pretty insistent about it at Edinburgh this morning.
Nothing big was getting through.

Does this mean they are allowing carry-on bags again now?

Yes.

I'm looking at Manchester in the spring, but I don't trust my camera
gear to any airline in the world.

Cameras are okay at the moment. But just wait for somebody to invent
a lens-glass explosive and they'll have somebody checking your Super
Angulon with a hammer.

Old August 29th, 2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

In article ,
Martin wrote:

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:19:11 -0500, erilar
wrote:

Does this mean they are allowing carry-on bags again now? I'm looking
at Manchester in the spring, but I don't trust my camera gear to any
airline in the world.

On Saturday at Manchester Airport, my kids were allowed one carry on
bag each limited to a size slightly smaller than a lap top,

That's FAR smaller than regular carry-on size 8-(

Guess I'd better go back to Plan A, formulated after hearing personal
experiences of acquaintances who had to change planes at Heathrow: Spend
my money anywhere except the UK.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist