passport question

Old January 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
freckles

Default passport question

Can somebody settle an argument for me please. To travel from Australia to
New Zealand you need a passport. Has this always been the case? Is it true
that a few years ago (maybe in the 80's or 90's) a passport wasn't needed
for an Australian citizen to travel to NZ? I know we don't need a visa.
Thanks in advance.

Old January 27th, 2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

Absolutely true. In the late 60's certainly no passport was required by
nationals of either country for cross Tasman trips. I don't know when it
changed.

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
freckles

u...

"freckles" wrote in message
Can somebody settle an argument for me please. To travel from Australia
to New Zealand you need a passport. Has this always been the case? Is it
true that a few years ago (maybe in the 80's or 90's) a passport wasn't
needed for an Australian citizen to travel to NZ? I know we don't need a
visa. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know when that changed? The guy I'm
arguing with says it only changed in the last 5-10 years.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:23 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Fred[_4_]

"freckles" wrote in message

u...

"freckles" wrote in message
Can somebody settle an argument for me please. To travel from Australia
to New Zealand you need a passport. Has this always been the case? Is it
true that a few years ago (maybe in the 80's or 90's) a passport wasn't
needed for an Australian citizen to travel to NZ? I know we don't need a
visa. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know when that changed? The guy I'm
arguing with says it only changed in the last 5-10 years.

Nope - it was further back than that. Earliest customs stamp in my passport
says 1988, but I haven't kept the previous passport to that one, but I think
it became compulsory in the lateseventies or early eighties.

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:00 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
freckles

"Fred" wrote in message

"freckles" wrote in message

u...

"freckles" wrote in message
Can somebody settle an argument for me please. To travel from Australia
to New Zealand you need a passport. Has this always been the case? Is
it true that a few years ago (maybe in the 80's or 90's) a passport
wasn't needed for an Australian citizen to travel to NZ? I know we
don't need a visa. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info. Does anybody know when that changed? The guy I'm
arguing with says it only changed in the last 5-10 years.

Nope - it was further back than that. Earliest customs stamp in my
passport says 1988, but I haven't kept the previous passport to that one,
but I think it became compulsory in the lateseventies or early eighties.

Thanks. Looks like I win the argument.