RT BLUES, WASTED MONEY

Old May 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air
virginatraveling

Default RT BLUES, WASTED MONEY

I am planning on going to either Manila or BKK from a major USA city
this June/July.

Was planning on booking for a 2 month trip, BUT
PROBLEM is I have NO IDEA how long I will be staying. It is more likely
I will be coming back and probably in a month or two, but I may decide
to stay indefinitely, or I might hate it so much I want to come back in
a couple weeks (i know, i know, I should rethink my trip,but it won't do
any good)

Have read that there may be visa/entry problems if no RT ticket is
bought.

I will use probably China Air or Phil. Air. or possibly United.

How do I best reduce the excess charges I will incur for a RT ticket the
return portion of which I will either not use or use at some other date
than the booking date? What questions do I ask when booking directly
with the airline?

I realize this has probably been covered before, but I am not sure how
to search for it and don't really have the time to do it, so I'd really
appreciate anyone with some helpful tips on this, Please.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

virginatraveling wrote:
How do I best reduce the excess charges I will incur for a RT ticket the
return portion of which I will either not use or use at some other date
than the booking date? What questions do I ask when booking directly
with the airline?

Ask them the difference in fare between a ticket where you can change
the return date, and one where you cannot.

For tickets purchased in Asia, the difference is usually minimal (I
don't think I've ever paid more than US$50 extra for this).

It may be different for tickets sold in the US market but in general the
Asian airlines are quite flexible about this sort of thing.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Tchiowa

On May 20, 5:22 am, virginatraveling
wrote:
I am planning on going to either Manila or BKK from a major USA city
this June/July.

Was planning on booking for a 2 month trip, BUT
PROBLEM is I have NO IDEA how long I will be staying. It is more likely
I will be coming back and probably in a month or two, but I may decide
to stay indefinitely, or I might hate it so much I want to come back in
a couple weeks (i know, i know, I should rethink my trip,but it won't do
any good)

Sounds like you need to spend more time planning. If you're under the
impression that you can go to Thailand or the Philippines and just
stay indefinitely because you feel like it you're going to be
disappointed. Or jailed, one of the two.

Have read that there may be visa/entry problems if no RT ticket is
bought.

They never review the Return Ticket at Immigration. But the airline
knows the rules. They are obligated to take care of you if you fail
Immigration so the airline will look for the return ticket and deny
you boarding if you don't have it. (Exception: If you have a multi-
entry visa they will sometimes let you board.)