Laptops on airlines .... Some OK some NOT OK with it!

Old March 2nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
Voyager

Default Laptops on airlines .... Some OK some NOT OK with it!

Why do some airlines allow passangers to use laptops while others
don't?
For example some airlines in southeast europe do not allow useage of
any electronics during the entire flight. Are older planes more
volnurable to electronics on board or are these airlines just being
picky? (Excuse my language but it ****es me off that I cannot watch
DVDs while flying in Europe on some airlines and only they fly to my
destination!)
Old March 2nd, 2004, 11:07 PM
Traveller

"Voyager" wrote in message
m...
Why do some airlines allow passangers to use laptops while others
don't?
For example some airlines in southeast europe do not allow useage of
any electronics during the entire flight. Are older planes more
volnurable to electronics on board or are these airlines just being
picky? (Excuse my language but it ****es me off that I cannot watch
DVDs while flying in Europe on some airlines and only they fly to my
destination!)

Can you tell us which airlines and routes you have travelled where you are
not allowed to use your laptop during flight? Every single trip I have
taken in the last few years on every carrier has been the same - you can't
use the laptop during taxi, takeoff and landing, but once you're at cruising
altitude and the seat belt signs are off, no problem. Let us know where
your experience has differed.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM
colin.

"Traveller" wrote in message
Let us know where
your experience has differed.

Christmas 2002 I was threatened with arrest upon landing unless I
immediately removed the DVD from my laptop drive. This was on board a UA
777 from Heathrow to Chicago.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:03 AM
RAK

"colin." wrote in message

"Traveller" wrote in message
Let us know where
your experience has differed.

Christmas 2002 I was threatened with arrest upon landing unless I
immediately removed the DVD from my laptop drive. This was on board a UA
777 from Heathrow to Chicago.

This sort of policy is odd, as some airlines lend out DVD players to 1st
class passengers.
Still, the choice is the airline's - their job is to get us from A to B
safely and if they feel that these toys are a risk I respect that and go
along with it.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:58 AM
The Grammer Genious

RAK wrote:
Still, the choice is the airline's - their job is to get us from A to B
safely and if they feel that these toys are a risk I respect that and go
along with it.

But there's a limit, right? Or would you do ANYTHING they asked?

Old March 3rd, 2004, 10:22 AM
colin.

"The Grammer Genious" wrote in message
colin. wrote:

"Traveller" wrote in message

Let us know where
your experience has differed.

Christmas 2002 I was threatened with arrest upon landing unless I
immediately removed the DVD from my laptop drive. This was on board a

UA
777 from Heathrow to Chicago.

Did you cave?

Not at first, I told them they were talking out of their ass. They
persisted though, to the point that my DVD was made unwatchable due to
interruptions :| so I eventually gave in. And besides, how crappy would
Christmas have been, spent inside a Chicago jail =[

Old March 4th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Voyager

The airlines I experienced this problem was Turkish Airlines and
Cyprus Turkish Airlines which are the only ones that fly to Northern
Cyprus.
Old March 4th, 2004, 11:22 AM
RAK

RAK wrote:
Still, the choice is the airline's - their job is to get us from A to B
safely and if they feel that these toys are a risk I respect that and go
along with it.

But there's a limit, right? Or would you do ANYTHING they asked?

Did I say that?
They can make their rules (as well as their fares, routes, service, etc).
In the case of this debate about whether some electronic gadgets (mostly
adult toys anyway) may interfere with aircraft electronics, I prefer the
airlines who err on the side of caution.
My choice is to fly with them, or not. Simple enough I think.
It only gets tough where is a lack of alternative transport to get from A to
B.

Old March 4th, 2004, 02:28 PM
mag3

Quoting "colin." regarding Laptops on airlines ....
Some OK some NOT OK with it! in a message dated Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:52:20 GMT:

"Traveller" wrote in message
Let us know where
your experience has differed.

Christmas 2002 I was threatened with arrest upon landing unless I
immediately removed the DVD from my laptop drive. This was on board a UA
777 from Heathrow to Chicago.

Did they say "Why" officially? Was it for "navigation interference/safety"
reasons or was it perhaps that they didn't want you screening your own choices
of movies (ie. "violence", "airline crashes," whatever etc.)?

Regards,
Arnold.

(E-mail address altered, to prevent spamming. :-|
Remove all asterisks and the *hates*spam* to get true address.)