Hotline for rental cars.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:00 AM
Michael Graham

Default Hotline for rental cars.

Hi all

On the advice of someone from rec.travel.cruises I have decided to
rent a car in Anchorage before our Alaska cruise. Did a search of
Orbitz and found what I thought to be a list of good rates (of course
some looked better than others). While there I came across a link for
Hotwire and thought I would check it out. In the past I have found
them to provide airfares that were not, as good as sites such as
united.com or Orbitz. Well, after looking at their rates for rental
cars I am thinking that I should act fast and book a car with them. I
say this, as their rates are 50% or off of what Orbitz is providing.
Anyone have any thoughts good or bad about this company?

Thanks
M. Graham
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:13 AM
mtravelkay

Michael Graham wrote:
Hi all

On the advice of someone from rec.travel.cruises I have decided to
rent a car in Anchorage before our Alaska cruise. Did a search of
Orbitz and found what I thought to be a list of good rates (of course
some looked better than others). While there I came across a link for
Hotwire and thought I would check it out. In the past I have found
them to provide airfares that were not, as good as sites such as
united.com or Orbitz. Well, after looking at their rates for rental
cars I am thinking that I should act fast and book a car with them. I
say this, as their rates are 50% or off of what Orbitz is providing.
Anyone have any thoughts good or bad about this company?

Thanks
M. Graham

Hotwire uses major car agencies. You don't find out which one you go
until you pay. And after you pay, there are no refunds. Its like
PriceLine, but you know the price that is acceptable.
If you really want to do this, you might want to think about PriceLine.
It's about the same deal, but you tell them the price you want to pay,
and they tell you if they like it or not. However, if they accept your
bid, you card has been charged and you also can't cancel and get a
refund. If you want to book online with the agencies themselves, you
might want to use their websites, or at least sign up for their email
specials. Additionally, you might get better prices by checking out
ads, or through some other type of discount, such as through an
employer, frequent flier clubs, Entertainment Card, or auto clubs.

Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:32 PM
Michael Graham

Hotwire uses major car agencies. You don't find out which one you go
until you pay. And after you pay, there are no refunds. Its like
PriceLine, but you know the price that is acceptable.
If you really want to do this, you might want to think about PriceLine.
It's about the same deal, but you tell them the price you want to pay,
and they tell you if they like it or not. However, if they accept your
bid, you card has been charged and you also can't cancel and get a
refund. If you want to book online with the agencies themselves, you
might want to use their websites, or at least sign up for their email
specials. Additionally, you might get better prices by checking out
ads, or through some other type of discount, such as through an
employer, frequent flier clubs, Entertainment Card, or auto clubs.

I did check the Hertz Website used a discount code I found in a travel
mag. That resulted in $3 discount per day, so I went a head and booked
my car with Hotwire. Below are the details of the savings.

-HERTZ WEBSITE
Midsize Car - $54 a day or total $145 with taxes

-HOTWIRE
Midsize Car - $23.95 a day or total $62.49 with taxes (60% savings off
of the normal rate)

What a deal, as my total cost is slightly more than the rate quoted by
Hertz.

M. Graham
Old March 3rd, 2004, 08:46 PM
mtravelkay

Michael Graham wrote:

I did check the Hertz Website used a discount code I found in a travel
mag. That resulted in $3 discount per day, so I went a head and booked
my car with Hotwire. Below are the details of the savings.

-HERTZ WEBSITE
Midsize Car - $54 a day or total $145 with taxes

-HOTWIRE
Midsize Car - $23.95 a day or total $62.49 with taxes (60% savings off
of the normal rate)

What a deal, as my total cost is slightly more than the rate quoted by
Hertz.

Is the HW car coming from Hertz?
Did you try bidding $20 per day at Priceline?

Old March 4th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Michael Graham

Is the HW car coming from Hertz?
yes
Did you try bidding $20 per day at Priceline?

I did not try them, but I will next time and see what happens.
I have never had any luck with, as far as airfares with them. I guess
I want a $500 airfare for $200 and a $200 airfare for $75, escpecailly
when I don't get to select the airfare or schedule.

M. Gaham