Best miles card deal? and United miles card questions?

Old June 30th, 2006, 01:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default Best miles card deal? and United miles card questions?

I will probably apply for 2 cards (one United and one other, or both
United), one for personal use and one for Business, there is a chance I
will rack up a lot of charges on the Business card.

I'm a complete noob in the Credit card/miles game. What is the best
deal going as far as a mileage card? I mostly fly United, but may also
fly Delta in the future (Delta offers non-stop to Athens, Greece from
the USA, I go every year, I'm getting sick of going through Germany on
United. I also have a trip planned to Asia next year also).

Why I want at least one United card: I have United miles, I am also
opening an Ameritrade account soon, I will open a Netflix account after
that, family members have united miles, I have Lufthansa miles, etc.

So what is my best card choice for United and what should my other card
be (another United card, Delta, Hotel, etc).

Also, does a balance transfer count toward miles (like a purchase?)

thanks

Old June 30th, 2006, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air

does a balance transfer count toward miles (like a purchase?)

No. I will just add that Delta's AmEx card offers double miles for
gas, groceries, USPS, and hardware stores. Other than that, all
of the cards are pretty much the same. If you already intend to
fly Delta, then Delta's AmEx sounds like a good second card.

Pete

Old June 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air

IMO, I think people are much better off getting cashback cards
and buying airline tickets with their cash refunds.

That definitely has the advantage of not needing to worry about
whether the FF rules will change and lessens the impact of an airline
bankruptcy.

Pete

Old June 30th, 2006, 11:32 PM posted to rec.travel.air

In addition, the United VISA card has a $60 annual fee.

In addition to your addition, United has changed the rules so that
buyers earn Choices. Right now FFers can use them as old style
miles, but I see the writing on the wall and think that soon Choices
will be the only option, and not a good one at that.

Pete

Old July 1st, 2006, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.air

In article .com,
Bucky wrote:

IMO, I think people are much better off getting cashback cards and
buying airline tickets with their cash refunds.

Some people use their miles for upgrades and business-class awards.
You'd need to spend half a million dollars on a cashback credit card
before your refund buys a business-class ticket to Europe.