Chicago to Nairobi

Old June 17th, 2004, 06:45 PM
Kiran

Default Chicago to Nairobi

I need an inexpensive round trip ticket from Chicago to Nairobi, but
have never flown this route. Which airlines and which months of the
year are good for this purpose? Thanks for help.
Old June 17th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Thur

"Kiran" wrote ...
I need an inexpensive round trip ticket from Chicago to Nairobi, but
have never flown this route. Which airlines and which months of the
year are good for this purpose?

On http://www.travelocity.com you can get an impression about the prices
over longer periods of time and non of those seem 'inexpensive', they're
from 1445 USD and up. Perhaps a travelagency can give you more insight into
which months are the cheaper ones and offer you something. They all involve
a connection in either Londen, Amsterdam, Brussels or Zürich.
Perhaps via Amsterdam would be comfortable, UA flies to AMS, KLM flies
ORD-AMS (747, NW-codeshare) and AMS-NBO (777, KQ-codeshare) with a 2½ hour
layover in AMS. KQ also flies AMS-NBO (777, KL-codeshare) about 10 hours
later. Other option would be via London, BA, AA and UA fly ORD-LHR, BA and
KQ LHR-NBO with again about 2½ hour layover. Timetables can be found at
http://www.amadeus.net for The Brussels and Zürch connections aswell.
Greetz,

*777 kewl!*

Old June 18th, 2004, 03:10 AM
cast

Hi:

British Airways and Korean Airlines and November and Decembet are good
for this purpose.

Old June 18th, 2004, 04:06 AM
mrtravel

cast wrote:

Hi:

British Airways and Korean Airlines and November and Decembet are good
for this purpose.

I usually can find better fares to Africa by separating the tickets,
like ORD-LHR-ORD and LHR-NBO-LHR.. I cut it down to $1100 off peak.

Old June 18th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Gregory Morrow

Kiran wrote:

I need an inexpensive round trip ticket from Chicago to Nairobi, but
have never flown this route. Which airlines and which months of the
year are good for this purpose? Thanks for help.

A whiles back a friend flew this route with El Al via TLV at a pretty good
price (with a several - day stop over in TLV) - try a bucket shop....

--
Best
Greg

Old June 18th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Kiran

Gregory Morrow wrote:

A whiles back a friend flew this route with El Al via TLV at a pretty good
price (with a several - day stop over in TLV) - try a bucket shop....

Thanks. I'll check with them. My impression of bucket was that they are
not interested if you are only making one stop. Even then, do you have
a few particularly good bucket shops to recommend?
Old June 18th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Kiran

mrtravel wrote:

I usually can find better fares to Africa by separating the tickets,
like ORD-LHR-ORD and LHR-NBO-LHR.. I cut it down to $1100 off peak.

Thanks. You seem experienced, so let me run my larger "optimization"
problem by you he

I need to visit Istanbul, Nairobi, India (Delhi or Bombay), and Tokyo.
However, it has to be divided into two trips, loose dates are 8/25-9/18
and 12/3-1/3. So what combines best with what for the cheapest total
cost?

If you are in Chicago, which travel agents do you use?

Do bucket shops let you buy a muti-city ticket that brings you back to
the originating city in the middle?
(e.g., CHI-Ist-nbo-CHI-tokyo-delhi-CHI)
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:20 AM
mrtravel

Kiran wrote:

mrtravel wrote:

I usually can find better fares to Africa by separating the tickets,
like ORD-LHR-ORD and LHR-NBO-LHR.. I cut it down to $1100 off peak.

Thanks. You seem experienced, so let me run my larger "optimization"
problem by you he

Not that experienced.. I don't work in travel, unless Bill gets his
wish. The $1100 figure was a simple two ticket purchase calculation via
Travelocity with hardly any work required.

I need to visit Istanbul, Nairobi, India (Delhi or Bombay), and Tokyo.
However, it has to be divided into two trips, loose dates are 8/25-9/18
and 12/3-1/3. So what combines best with what for the cheapest total
cost?

If you are in Chicago, which travel agents do you use?

Shop around, but at least compare prices of agents in the ethnic
neighborhoods of countries you want to visit. Sometimes the best deals
are from the airline's website, sometimes calling the airline, sometimes
another website, sometime's an agent, sometime coupons, etc... I have
not found one place that is the cheapest to everywhere at anytime.

Do bucket shops let you buy a muti-city ticket that brings you back to
the originating city in the middle?
(e.g., CHI-Ist-nbo-CHI-tokyo-delhi-CHI)

You wouldn't need one ticket for that. You could do it in multiple
tickets. Some airlines even let you do that, although you might have
trouble with some websites. The last time I did that was
LHR-LCA-LHR-AMS-LHR on BA. The fare was about $150 cheaper than booking
it as 2 tickets.

Old June 18th, 2004, 05:10 PM
Kiran

Max Mustermann wrote:

P.S. You should already know this, Mr. Dutta.

I was taking you seriously when I noticed this, why are you
calling me "Mr Dutta"?
Old June 18th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Robert

Hi,

Consider booking a return to Europe, and from there booking separately
with a charter airline to Mombasa (Kenya). E.g. check Condor
(www.condor.com) or LTU (www.ltu.com) from Germany. Their flights are
cheaper if booked lastminute (not more than a month in advance). There
can also be similar options from the UK, yet I couldn't find any at
the moment.

Hope this helps,
Robert