Canadian Dollars & Port Visits

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Steve S.

Default Canadian Dollars & Port Visits

Hi all

We'll be doing an Alaska cruise in May and will make a stop in Victoria
along the way. Last port in our journey is Vancouver. Is it wise to take
along a few Canadian $$ when visiting these cities or will U.S. currency do?
Thanx

Steve

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:17 PM
Eileen Dover

"Steve S." wrote in message
Hi all

We'll be doing an Alaska cruise in May and will make a stop in Victoria
along the way. Last port in our journey is Vancouver. Is it wise to take
along a few Canadian $$ when visiting these cities or will U.S. currency

do?
Thanx

Steve

U.S. currency will work fine. The last thing Canadians want is Canadian
money.

Old March 1st, 2004, 02:36 PM
JLeary256

You can use US dollars, but probably at a poor exchange. Use credit cards for
larger purchases.
Old March 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM

U.S. currency will work fine. The last thing Canadians want is Canadian
money.

You obviously know NOTHING about Canada or Canadians.

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:22 PM

I own a campground in central B.C. ...We get a lot of US travellers
stopping by enroute to Alaska. When they ask our price, and we tell them
they usually say: "Is that in US dollars?" ?!? Reminds me of when I
was travelling somewhere south of Reno a few years back. I stopped for
lunch at a KFC there. There was a huge line-up. I started a conversation
with this woman in front of me --Told her where I was from. Then when I
questioned her as to why the huge line-up, she told me that this was the
grand opening of the KFC there. ....Then she added: "I guess you don't
have these things up where you come from." Duh... Doesn't she know we
all live in igloos here??

US dollars are accepted everywhere in B.C.; however, the exchange can
vary greatly from business to business. Usually, the chain stores offer
the best exchange, simply because they receive the largest influx of US
cash, and thus deposit at the current exchange rate.

...I would suggest you either use a credit card (yes, they are
accepted in Canada), or exchange some US cash at a bank, or use a
banking machine. (There's the odd one of these kicking around up here
too.)

Incidentally, there is no exchange paid on US change. ...I know from
experience that if one so much as dares to pull out a Canadian penny in
the US, it's like the crucifixes come out; however, up here, the coins
are all inter-mixed, and all classed as Canadian currency. ...Jon

Old March 1st, 2004, 04:59 PM

...Hmm...The US...Aren't they the ones that throw there weight around in
countries under the premise of hunting for weapons of mass destruction?
...Jon

Old March 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM
Eileen Dover

wrote in message
..Hmm...The US...Aren't they the ones that throw there weight around in
countries under the premise of hunting for weapons of mass destruction?
..Jon

Thank God somebody in this world has some balls. No one in Canada does.

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:32 PM

Hey Johnny,

We should thank our lucky starts that most Americans do not know anything
about Canada. Can you imagine what would happen in "Average Jo" knew about
Socialized Medicine, civil liberties, allowing immigrants to keep their
cultures, gay marriage etc... and started wanting some of it for themselves?
The neo-con republicans would panic and start drawing up plans to bomb us
back to the stone ages.

I prefer to sit up here quietly and enjoy our more European style social
democracy.. ssssshhhhh!