United's Good Friday night massacre

Old April 29th, 2006, 03:14 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default United's Good Friday night massacre

Calif Bill wrote:

Then spend a couple of weeks of driving to go to a 4 day visit in Virginia.
I still find that flying is both cheaper and easier than trying to drive
1500 miles.

A couple weeks? How slow do you drive?

Old April 29th, 2006, 07:22 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Buttercup---aka---CC" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:

Then spend a couple of weeks of driving to go to a 4 day visit in
Virginia. I still find that flying is both cheaper and easier than trying
to drive 1500 miles.

A couple weeks? How slow do you drive?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

5000 mile round trip at a minimum. 50 mile per hour average, and you will
probably average a small bit less. 50 hours of driving. 8 x 10 hour days.
Into a 2nd week of driving.

Old April 29th, 2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Calif Bill wrote:

Then spend a couple of weeks of driving to go to a 4 day visit in
Virginia. I still find that flying is both cheaper and easier than
trying to drive 1500 miles.

A couple weeks? How slow do you drive?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

5000 mile round trip at a minimum. 50 mile per hour average, and you
will probably average a small bit less. 50 hours of driving. 8 x 10
hour days. Into a 2nd week of driving.

That shows how slow he drives! 50 mph??? I average somewhere around 70
on the freeways, at least in rural areas.

I forget where he was talking about traveling to Virginia from, but his
time requirement is way out of line from anywhere except the west coast.

Old April 29th, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Calif Bill wrote:

Then spend a couple of weeks of driving to go to a 4 day visit in
Virginia. I still find that flying is both cheaper and easier than trying
to drive 1500 miles.

A couple weeks? How slow do you drive?

5000 mile round trip at a minimum. 50 mile per hour average, and you will
probably average a small bit less. 50 hours of driving. 8 x 10 hour days.
Into a 2nd week of driving.

1500 miles times two comes out to 3000 miles, not 5000.
A fair driver who isn't unwilling to go a couple of
miles over the speed limit could average around 70 mph
or 42 hours of driving. A person could drive it in two
days each way or four days total. Even if you extend it
by a day each way then it's still only 6 days and less
than one week.

Admittedly, driving 4 days for a 4 day stay is pushing
it a little but you get to take your car and anything
you can pack in it. You don't get strip searched and
can bring all the guns and smelly food you like.

Anthony
Old April 29th, 2006, 10:16 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Anthony Matonak" wrote in message
Calif Bill wrote:
"Buttercup---aka---CC" wrote in message

(snip)
Admittedly, driving 4 days for a 4 day stay is pushing
it a little but you get to take your car and anything
you can pack in it. You don't get strip searched and
can bring all the guns and smelly food you like.

Careful on the guns- states have been known to enforce their laws on
people just passing through. Massachusetts used to be well known for
confiscating tourist guns during routine traffic stops.

aem sends...

Old April 29th, 2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Calif Bill wrote:
"Buttercup---aka---CC" wrote in message

(snip)
Admittedly, driving 4 days for a 4 day stay is pushing
it a little but you get to take your car and anything
you can pack in it. You don't get strip searched and
can bring all the guns and smelly food you like.

Careful on the guns- states have been known to enforce their laws on
people just passing through. Massachusetts used to be well known for
confiscating tourist guns during routine traffic stops.

Somehow, the whole idea of bringing guns sounds totally spurious.

Old April 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

sechumlib wrote:

"ameijers" said:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Buttercup---aka---CC" wrote:

Admittedly, driving 4 days for a 4 day stay is pushing
it a little but you get to take your car and anything
you can pack in it. You don't get strip searched and
can bring all the guns and smelly food you like.

Careful on the guns- states have been known to enforce their laws on
people just passing through. Massachusetts used to be well known for
confiscating tourist guns during routine traffic stops.

Somehow, the whole idea of bringing guns sounds totally spurious.

I don't know, you never can tell when Teddy Kennedy might insist on
taking you for a midnight drive and swim.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have
Old April 30th, 2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 2006-04-29 14:22:01 -0400, "Calif Bill"

Calif Bill wrote:

Then spend a couple of weeks of driving to go to a 4 day visit in
Virginia. I still find that flying is both cheaper and easier than
trying to drive 1500 miles.

A couple weeks? How slow do you drive?

Inviato da X-Privat.Org - Registrazione gratuita
http://www.x-privat.org/join.php

5000 mile round trip at a minimum. 50 mile per hour average, and you
will probably average a small bit less. 50 hours of driving. 8 x 10
hour days. Into a 2nd week of driving.

That shows how slow he drives! 50 mph??? I average somewhere around 70 on
the freeways, at least in rural areas.

I forget where he was talking about traveling to Virginia from, but his
time requirement is way out of line from anywhere except the west coast.

You would end up in jail if you "averaged" 70 mph over a long multiday trip.
Stopping for gas, food intake, food exhaust all slow down the average.
Fastest I ever averaged for a long trip was 62.9 mph for 2500 miles, 2
drivers, 140 mph car, and doing 100+ trough Texas and Nevada.

Old April 30th, 2006, 02:59 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Calif Bill wrote:

[...]

It is longer than 1500 miles from California to Virginia. And as I posted
in another reply. You are not going to average 70 mph for a long
multi-fillup trip.

Old April 30th, 2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"The Real Bev" wrote in message
sechumlib wrote:

"ameijers" said:
"Anthony Matonak" wrote:
Calif Bill wrote:
"Buttercup---aka---CC" wrote:

Admittedly, driving 4 days for a 4 day stay is pushing
it a little but you get to take your car and anything
you can pack in it. You don't get strip searched and
can bring all the guns and smelly food you like.

Careful on the guns- states have been known to enforce their laws on
people just passing through. Massachusetts used to be well known for
confiscating tourist guns during routine traffic stops.

Somehow, the whole idea of bringing guns sounds totally spurious.

I don't know, you never can tell when Teddy Kennedy might insist on
taking you for a midnight drive and swim.

Hunters that live In The Big City routinely have guns in the car on their
annual sojurns to places animals still exist. If you change jobs and
states, most movers won't haul firearms. (The feds think you are gonna pay a
gun dealer in your old city to ship them to a gun dealer in your new city.
Yeah, right.) I sometimes haul a knocked-down firearm with me when visiting
relatives, so we can go target shooting. I do try to drive as invisibly as
possible when doing that, though, even in states where guns aren't
considered evil.

aem sends...