navigator device on the windshield

Old June 4th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian[_1_]

Default navigator device on the windshield

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 22:44:52 -0400, "Frank F. Matthews"
wrote:

I do wonder why anyone would want a window mount. Texas doesn't care
but I find the dash much simpler and more convenient.

Portability

Old June 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

wrote:

I do wonder why anyone would want a window mount. Texas doesn't care
but I find the dash much simpler and more convenient.

Portability

It sounds about the same. Mine is on a beanbag and plugged into the
lighter. I can even hand it to a person in the back seat as well as
transfer cars.

Old June 4th, 2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Russell Patterson

wrote:

I do wonder why anyone would want a window mount. Texas doesn't care
but I find the dash much simpler and more convenient.

For the same reason Fighter aircraft have headsup displays. If you
only have to look down at the corner of your windshield to glance at a
gps map then back at the road in front of you, your attention to the
road ahead is maximized. If you have to look at the dashboard, you
have to adjust your focus, and your eyes will have to adjust to a
different lighting.

The column between the windshield and the driver's side door, blocks
much more of my view, than my Tom Tom does in the driver's side bottom
corner of my windshield. In fact, I recently missed seeing a jogger
crossing from my left in a bike/jogging path I crossed in a
residential section. I had just crossed a speed bump and was driving
at a slow speed, which caused the jogger to be behind the column until
I saw her in my side window. Good thing she stopped! Will they also
make a law stating the windshield has to be clear of obstruction for
180 degrees in front of you?
Old June 4th, 2007, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

The head-up display in a fighter aircraft is transparent and projected
at infinity, it's a bit different from a GPS in that it doesn't obstruct
the view forward or require that one refocus one's vision to look at it.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 4th, 2007, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Lee Choquette

In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
Fastrak and similar transponders are specifically exempted

Yes, I saw the exemptions in the law for not only toll collection but
also for CHP radios. Odd that these two devices don't block the driver's
view but electronic devices that might benefit ordinary drivers do. :-)

Lee
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"Lee Choquette" wrote in message
In article ,
Keith Willshaw wrote:
Fastrak and similar transponders are specifically exempted

Yes, I saw the exemptions in the law for not only toll collection but
also for CHP radios. Odd that these two devices don't block the driver's
view but electronic devices that might benefit ordinary drivers do. :-)

Lee

I agree that its crazy, I use a GPS and choose to position in the lower
corner of the
windshield as that means I dont have to take my eyes off the road to use it.

I guess the law was intend3ed to stop people mounting TV's on the
windshield

Keith

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Gary[_2_]

My guess would be to deter people from putting radar detectors in their
windshield.

Of course, I don't know how much CHP uses radar to check speeds. The one
ticket I got in California was the good, old-fashioned chippy eyeball
guesstimate! Pretty accurate, too! B-)

--
Gary
Visit Lucy & Gary and do the jigsaw puzzle at

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in
message ...

Old June 5th, 2007, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
sharx35 wrote:
"sally" wrote in message
"Wipower" wrote in
:
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

California does not allow you to stick anything to the inside of your
windshield (besides the rear view mirror).

What about shot spots?

What are "shot spots"?

Droplets of semen, coating the inside of the windshield. A result of
ejaculations gone awry.