navigator device on the windshield

Old June 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Patty Winter[_2_]

Default navigator device on the windshield

In article , sally wrote:

California does not allow you to stick anything to the inside of your
windshield (besides the rear view mirror).

That is not entirely true, as the citation made by John Clarke shows.

Patty

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

J. Clarke wrote:

PeterL wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 pm, "Wipower" wrote:

Hi,
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

Thanks

wip

No.

Then please be kind enough to provide case law that invalidates
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm.

It will be an interesting case if I am ticket for having the inspection
sticker and state registration that my state requires.

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

The law might not be strictly enforced, but it is illegal in
California to use suction mounts on a windshield. Here's a quote from
Garmin (a major manufacturer of car navigation units)...

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA:
State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from
using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor
vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options
should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any
fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of
disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section
26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

James

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Patty Winter[_2_]

In article .com,
wrote:
The law might not be strictly enforced, but it is illegal in
California to use suction mounts on a windshield. Here's a quote from
Garmin (a major manufacturer of car navigation units)...

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA:
State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from
using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor
vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options
should be used.

I've got an official Garmin dashboard mount in one of my cars.
In the other, I put down a strip of Velcro and put the other
half on the bottom of the Garmin. So I can use the GPS receiver
in either car. Easy-peasy.

Do I recall correctly that the original poster was talking about a
rental car? If so, then those options would be out, unfortunately.

Patty

Old June 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
LVTravel[_2_]

"Frank F. Matthews" wrote in message

J. Clarke wrote:

PeterL wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 pm, "Wipower" wrote:

Hi,
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

Thanks

wip

No.

Then please be kind enough to provide case law that invalidates
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm.

It will be an interesting case if I am ticket for having the inspection
sticker and state registration that my state requires.

As a retired State Trooper I will respond: As long as it is within the
limits of your state's regulations, no police officer will ticket for that
alone. If it is outside the regulations of your home state or you have
changed registration states and failed to remove the stickers then you would
be liable. This person is wanting to put a fairly large device on the
windshield that will block a fair amount of visibility to the right front of
the vehicle.

Many states have regulatory locations for various registration and
inspection stickers. Many people feel that they can put those stickers
anywhere on the vehicle that they feel like putting them. When I was a
police officer, many times I would find validation stickers (those with
expiration dates) for vehicle registration in the wrong location. Now, if I
wanted to, I could have ticketed the person for not having the sticker in
the proper location. Most times I didn't but if the person protested too
much, I would have them explain it to the judge. I would normally warn the
person to have the sticker moved or replaced to the proper location.

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
LVTravel[_2_]

Garmin doesn't set the laws. See "other materials" in the quote from Cal's
law.

Stick it in the lower 5 inches square on the left of the windshield or the
lower 7 inches square on the right side of the windshield and you will be OK
(but you won't be able to see it! LOL)

" (b,3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch
square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the
driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch
square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the
driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a
5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver."

Most states have laws similar to these but aren't enforced all too often.

oups.com...

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Frank F. Matthews wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:

PeterL wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 pm, "Wipower" wrote:

Hi,
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

Thanks

wip

No.

Then please be kind enough to provide case law that invalidates
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm.

It will be an interesting case if I am ticket for having the
inspection sticker and state registration that my state requires.

Well, now we know that _you_ haven't read the statute.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

J. Clarke wrote:

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

PeterL wrote:

On May 31, 9:43 pm, "Wipower" wrote:

Hi,
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

Thanks

wip

No.

Then please be kind enough to provide case law that invalidates
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm.

It will be an interesting case if I am ticket for having the
inspection sticker and state registration that my state requires.

Well, now we know that _you_ haven't read the statute.

Except that the location runs outside the 7 inch limits.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Frank F. Matthews

LVTravel wrote:

Garmin doesn't set the laws. See "other materials" in the quote from Cal's
law.

Stick it in the lower 5 inches square on the left of the windshield or the
lower 7 inches square on the right side of the windshield and you will be OK
(but you won't be able to see it! LOL)

" (b,3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch
square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the
driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch
square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the
driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a
5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver."

Most states have laws similar to these but aren't enforced all too often.

wrote in message
oups.com...

The law might not be strictly enforced, but it is illegal in
California to use suction mounts on a windshield. Here's a quote from
Garmin (a major manufacturer of car navigation units)...

NOTICE TO DRIVERS IN CALIFORNIA AND MINNESOTA:
State law prohibits drivers in California and Minnesota from
using suction mounts on their windshields while operating motor
vehicles. Other Garmin dashboard or friction mounting options
should be used. Garmin does not take any responsibility for any
fines, penalties, or damages that may be incurred as a result of
disregarding this notice. (See California Vehicle Code Section
26708(a); Minnesota Statutes 2005, Section 169.71)

James

I do wonder why anyone would want a window mount. Texas doesn't care
but I find the dash much simpler and more convenient.

Old June 2nd, 2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw

"SMS" wrote in message
Wipower wrote:
Hi,
is true that in the California state is not possible to attach the
navigator gps device on the windshield of the car?

It's physically possible, it's just illegal. Not that it's really
enforced. Just look at all the Fastrak transponders.

Fastrak and similar transponders are specifically exempted

Keith