Fast Food alternatives on/near main Canadian highways

Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

Default Fast Food alternatives on/near main Canadian highways

For years I have had a fantasy about adding to my already considerable
body bulk by touring across Canada looking for and testing out non-
chain, diners and other great little places that easily get missed as
travellers ply the main highways. This inspiration came upon me a
couple of decades back when I pulled in to the Goshen, a place doing
the great home-cooking long before it became trendy to do so, and
noticed that it's parking lot was mainly Nova Scotia cars while all
the tourist vehicles were next door at a familiar and mediocre
national food chain. The problem, of course, was that a devil you know
is better, for most tourists, than some locally owned place of which
they know nothing. And sometimes it's just too darn hard to find that
special little diner or whatever off the main highway.

I know that the US has a number of resources in this vein, about so-
called roadfood. In fact, the www.roadfood.com site well expresses the
kind of thing I'm thinking of:

"Great regional meals along highways, in small towns and in city
neighborhoods. It is sleeves-up food made by cooks, bakers,
pitmasters, and sandwich-makers who are America's culinary folk
artists. Roadfood is almost always informal and inexpensive; and the
best Roadfood restaurants are colorful places enjoyed by locals (and
savvy travelers) for their character as well as their menu."

I've yet to see a website or guide in Canada. In the interests of
beginning to compile these here, I'd love to get some feedback on such
places along or near to principal Canadian highways. Here's one for
starters, not likely to be easily guessed at by passers-by: in
Williams Lake, B.C. on highway 97 at the Greyhound Bus depot, is
Eddy's with nonpareil burgers (including buffalo burgers if you feel
adventurous). Also other home cooked specials. Lots of booths and
waitresses who come right out of the 50s.

So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

Old June 3rd, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

I'm not sure it really fits your description, but I've been very
impressed by Le Commensal, a chain of vegetarian buffets, mostly in the
Montreal area. The only one I've visited is in Greenfield Park, on the
south side of the St. Lawrence. Really good food!

Old June 4th, 2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 03 Jun 2007 in rec.travel.usa-canada, Skookum wrote:

This inspiration came upon me a couple of decades back when I
pulled in to the Goshen, a place doing the great home-cooking long
before it became trendy to do so, and noticed that it's parking lot
was mainly Nova Scotia cars while all the tourist vehicles were next
door at a familiar and mediocre national food chain.

Would that be the Goshen at Lower South River, a few miles east of
Antigonish on the 104? It's not far from Mother Tucker's, where I have
eaten (with a friend who's a local).

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Király[_1_]

Skookum wrote:
So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

One of the very very best family-run restaurants is in Eastend, SK. I
can't remember the name of it. But I think it's either the only one in
town, or it has one competitor. Just about the best home-cooked food
you'll ever get. It's a bit off the Trans-Canada, but is right on the
Red Coat Trail, which is IMO the most interesting East-West route from
Winnipeg to the Rockies. The whole southwestern corner of SK is just a
fantastic place to explore. Too bad most travellers miss it by staying
on the TCH. Someday the secret will get out.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

I'm not sure it really fits your description, but I've been very impressed
by Le Commensal, a chain of vegetarian buffets, mostly in the Montreal
area. The only one I've visited is in Greenfield Park, on the south side
of the St. Lawrence. Really good food!

The human body is NOT designed to be fuelled by only vegetables. It is
designed for a combo of vegetables AND MEATS.

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sechumlib

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

I'm not sure it really fits your description, but I've been very impressed
by Le Commensal, a chain of vegetarian buffets, mostly in the Montreal
area. The only one I've visited is in Greenfield Park, on the south side
of the St. Lawrence. Really good food!

The human body is NOT designed to be fuelled by only vegetables. It is
designed for a combo of vegetables AND MEATS.

Oh, here YOU come again.

Did I express an ideological cant? Did anyone besides YOU see it?

My posting identified what I consider to be a good restaurant. If you
disagree, please say so - respectfully. If you can't do that, shut up.

Old June 5th, 2007, 01:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

So what's out there, just out off the radar screen that travellers
should really try?

I'm not sure it really fits your description, but I've been very
impressed
by Le Commensal, a chain of vegetarian buffets, mostly in the Montreal
area. The only one I've visited is in Greenfield Park, on the south side
of the St. Lawrence. Really good food!

The human body is NOT designed to be fuelled by only vegetables. It is
designed for a combo of vegetables AND MEATS.

Oh, here YOU come again.

Did I express an ideological cant? Did anyone besides YOU see it?

My posting identified what I consider to be a good restaurant. If you
disagree, please say so - respectfully. If you can't do that, shut up.

BOTH your suggestions involved VEGETARIAN restaurants. THAT is cant, no
matter what YOU call it. NO doubt YOUR opinions are well-held and reasonable
whilst those of others are.....mere cant. I hold for the reverse.

Old June 5th, 2007, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alan S[_1_]

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:50:22 GMT, "sharx35"

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

[...]

I thought he suggested good restaurants, in his opinion,
which happened to be vegetarian. I ate tonight in an
excellent Indian restaurant; I would recommend it to anyone.
In your illogical mind does that make me an Indian?

On that basis, next week I'm likely to be a Thai.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Slovenia
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
sharx35

"Alan S" wrote in message
On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:50:22 GMT, "sharx35"

.. .

On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

[...]

EVERY week, though, you are a dipstick.

Cheers, Alan, Australia

Old June 5th, 2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Skookum

On Jun 5, 6:20 am, "sharx35" wrote:
"Alan S" wrote in message

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:50:22 GMT, "sharx35"

.. .

. ..
On 2007-06-03 12:08:40 -0400, Skookum said:

[...]

Thanks for the comments so far except the now, alas, inevitable pain
in the butt that always jumps at any chance to hijack threads with
their own tangential tripe (and tangential tripe is not a great
roadfood). I am referring, of course, to Sharx35 who has posted more
than anyone on the thread here, and yet despite his strong personal
food preferences, has said nothing to the subject of my post. Many
thanks to sechumlib for the nice alternatives to meat and potatoes.
The rest of us "get it."

Keep 'em coming, eh?