safety in Nairobi

Old November 6th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Wilson

Default safety in Nairobi

The nickname of nairobi is nairobbery. Is it very dangerous to travel
alone? Also, I'd like to go to some tourist spots , such as national
museum, railway museum, international conference, by taxi. Is it
sensible of me to do so? can I go to Giraffe centre by taxi? Is it
very expensive? Thanks
Old November 6th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Peter Gower

It is certainly very sensible of you to plan to travel around by taxi.
You will find that the hotels often want to escort you from the lobby to
the taxi for safety. Make sure you know about how far you will travel on
each journey, and agree with the driver about the price before you set
out. A hotel will give you some idea of costs. Be very careful walking.
Don't drive with the window open, or the door unlocked. Enjoy!!?
Peter

Old November 7th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Wilson
writes
The nickname of nairobi is nairobbery. Is it very dangerous to travel
alone? Also, I'd like to go to some tourist spots , such as national
museum, railway museum, international conference, by taxi. Is it
sensible of me to do so? can I go to Giraffe centre by taxi? Is it
very expensive? Thanks

Nairobi is a city and like any city it`s wise to watch your bag, not
wear expensive jewellery, or have cameras slung around your person.
Otherwise, I walk around on my own shopping, going for a cup of coffee
etc. At night don`t walk out into town, the same as any city.
The museums mentioned are an easy taxi ride from city hotels, as is
the International centre. The Giraffe Manor is a bit further and in a
taxi will cost more. You can go with an organised tour with others and
should pay less.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old November 7th, 2003, 10:23 AM
Miguel Cruz

Pat Anderson wrote:
Nairobi is a city and like any city it`s wise to watch your bag, not
wear expensive jewellery, or have cameras slung around your person.
Otherwise, I walk around on my own shopping, going for a cup of coffee
etc. At night don`t walk out into town, the same as any city.

Same as any city???

miguel
--
See the world from your web browser: http://travel.u.nu/
Old November 7th, 2003, 11:51 AM
Er Principe

Nairobi is a city and like any city it`s wise to watch your bag, not
wear expensive jewellery, or have cameras slung around your person.
Otherwise, I walk around on my own shopping, going for a cup of coffee
etc. At night don`t walk out into town, the same as any city.

I really do not agree with this.
Nairobi is really, really more dangerous than other cities. In Rome or
Paris, or even London, you can walk around by night without thinking you
will be mugged for sure.
In Nairobi you can never feel safe, at any moment of the day or the night.

Really, Nairobi is definitely more dangerous than other big cities, even
more dangerous than other african capitals where I've been (e.g. Dar Es
Salaam, Antananarivo, Cairo is even better than Nairobi).

It is true that also in other big cities you must take care, in particular
places, about your bag or whatever, but I would never walk alone in Nairobi
by night (or even day), as I do normally in my city (Rome, which is
absolutely safe).

Ciao

Maurizio

Old November 7th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Rita Daggett

The museums mentioned are an easy taxi ride from city hotels, as is
the International centre.

The first three times we visited Nairobi (1979, 81 and about 93) we walked
into town (from the Panafric) and out to the Museum/snake park and felt Ok
about it; we were warned not walk about at night tho.
The last time (2001) the driver of the mini-bus which picked us up from the
airport told us to keep the windows of the bus shut as otherwise things
might get grabbed through the window, and the hotel staff were not happy
about us walking to the museum if we were carrying camera stuff with us - as
there was nowhere we felt it was safe to leave our valuables, we took a
taxi. The driver arranged with us a time to come back and collect us. So I
dont know whether I would have felt 'unsafe' if we'd tried walking.

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 7th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Liz

In message
"Er Principe" wrote:

(Rome, which is absolutely safe).

[OT]
Mind you, I've never knowingly been ripped off by a taxi driver in Nairobi,
but I was ripped off in Rome last month by a taxi driver taking me from
Termini to my hotel - which turned out to be a 7 minute walk, but he charged
E30!!! The only other tourists we talked to were similarly ripped off
on arrival, so I don't know whether it's one rogue 'official' bloke or if
they're all at it.

Liz
--
Virtual Liz at http://www.v-liz.co.uk
Kenya; Tanzania; India; Seychelles
Old November 8th, 2003, 08:01 AM
kees

It is true that also in other big cities you must take care, in particular
places, about your bag or whatever, but I would never walk alone in

Nairobi
by night (or even day), as I do normally in my city (Rome, which is
absolutely safe).

I have been mugged once in my life, in Rome, during the day. Well, at least
they tried to....
I have only been to Rome once.

On the other hand, I have been staying in Accra last summer and walked
everywhere, day and night, without any trouble at all or being afraid....
except for the dogs.

Old November 8th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Hans-Georg Michna

"kees" wrote:

I have been mugged once in my life, in Rome, during the day. Well, at least
they tried to....

Me too, by a gang of children in front of the main station. I
had to shake them off somewhat vigorously, but the biggest
surprise for me was that the adult people around obviously saw
this as absolutely normal.

Totally unimaginable in Germany, for example, where there is a
"culture" of people watching over each other (which sometimes
goes too far in the other direction for some peoples' taste).

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.
Old November 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Gary Balfour

"Rita Daggett" wrote in message ...
The museums mentioned are an easy taxi ride from city hotels, as is
the International centre.

The first three times we visited Nairobi (1979, 81 and about 93) we walked
into town (from the Panafric) and out to the Museum/snake park and felt Ok
about it; we were warned not walk about at night tho.
The last time (2001) the driver of the mini-bus which picked us up from the
airport told us to keep the windows of the bus shut as otherwise things
might get grabbed through the window, and the hotel staff were not happy
about us walking to the museum if we were carrying camera stuff with us - as
there was nowhere we felt it was safe to leave our valuables, we took a
taxi. The driver arranged with us a time to come back and collect us. So I
dont know whether I would have felt 'unsafe' if we'd tried walking.

I moved to Nairobi early in 2001 after many years in quiet Arusha,
Tanzania. I have lived here about two and a half years and feel no
more at risk than I do when I am in any other big city. You would not
walk in Central Park alone late at night (I suspect). You also would
not walk around the Central Business district here late at night.

It is risky, but there are a lot of places that are risky just now.
Hotels have made visible efforts at increased security. But it all
boils down to common sense. If you walk around in a short sleeve
shirt with a Rolex watch on, you might lose it. If you drive around
with your windows open is busy traffic were you are stopped a lot,
there is the chance of someone snatching something from your bag.

Me, the only time I have been robbed (pick-pocketed) was in Amsterdam.

As to getting around, if you have a day and want to visit a lot of
sites, I recommend contacting a reputable car hire company (hint like
mine) and renting a car on chauffeur drive for the day. This works
out cheaper than taxis and you know the rate up front. The drivers
(at least mine are) English speaking with extensive knowledge of the
history and culture of the city. And, you have the car all day so you
aren't watching the time. You can even use the car to take you for
that dinner at Carnivore or someplace else.

I hope this helps.

Gary

"The Fish is In the Mail" - This month's restaurant review on
www.safari.cc