Animal Photos From South Africa

Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Michael Kilpatrick

Default Animal Photos From South Africa

I got back a few days ago from a game viewing/photographic safari to Sth
Africa.

I stayed at Elephant Plains and Nottens game lodges in Sabi Sand, spent a
couple of days in Kruger, then drove across to Madikwe reserve on the Sth
Africa/Botswana border where I stayed at Tau game lodge.

Main photo gear was Canon 300D and Canon 100 - 400 IS.

The photos are he

http://www.pbase.com/mrk03/south_africa_2004

Michael

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:00 PM
L. Andreoli

Michael,
Very nice photo's you shot in SA Michael.
I'm intending to buy also a digital canon body soon

==================================
Lou Andreoli
Human, wildlife & nature photographer
http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~louine

==================================

"Michael Kilpatrick" mkilpatr(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au schreef in
bericht ...

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:22 PM
Hans-Georg Michna

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 19:49:31 +1000, "Michael Kilpatrick"
mkilpatr(at)optusnet(dot)com(dot)au wrote:

I got back a few days ago from a game viewing/photographic safari to Sth
Africa.

I stayed at Elephant Plains and Nottens game lodges in Sabi Sand, spent a
couple of days in Kruger, then drove across to Madikwe reserve on the Sth
Africa/Botswana border where I stayed at Tau game lodge.

Main photo gear was Canon 300D and Canon 100 - 400 IS.

The photos are he

http://www.pbase.com/mrk03/south_africa_2004

Michael,

very impressive photos, thanks. Better than most I get to see.

Tsessebe antelopes look similar to what they call Topi in east
Africa.

Do you have any photos that show the landscape? I usually forget
about those when taking photos of animals.

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:10 PM
Michael Kilpatrick

Thanks Hans-Georg

Like you I tend to concentrate on the animals, but I did make a point of
taking multiple shots to stitch into panoramas while on my way to Kruger (of
the Drankensbergs) and of a nice vista in Madikwe. They aren't particularly
suitable for putting on a website - either much too wide, or if reduced in
width, too small vertically.

I took a few sunrise/sunset shots without animals, but I don't think they
have the same impact as the animal/bird shots.

Also, swapping lenses wasn't always convenient and on a 300D, a 100 - 400
has a field of view like a 160 - 640, which isn't too good for landscapes
(but magnificent for wildlife).

Cheers

Michael

Old August 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM
Michael Kilpatrick

I think the main benefit of a digital slr is the effortless high iso
performance. Previously I used a film camera and slide film and often had to
choose between 100 iso and a too low shutter speed, or 400 iso and major
loss of quality.
With a digital slr, 400 iso has almost no loss of quality, 800 is almost as
good and 1600 can sometimes give good results. Wonderful for safari
photography, especially with a stabilised lens (which I see from your
website, you already have).
Michael

Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
Inge Mueller

Hans-Georg Michna
schrieb:

Tsessebe antelopes look similar to what they call Topi in east
Africa.

Tsessebe antelopes (judged by their horns - but I never
heard this name before) look like what I know as Kuhantilope
(Haratebeest, Kongoni, Alcelaphus buselaphus). Topi is
Leierantilope, Damaliscus lunatus.

INge