Laptop on safari?

Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:46 PM
Bobby

Default Laptop on safari?

Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I'm going on a lodge-based safari next week (in Kenya) and I would like to
take my laptop to download and process photos each evening. I also like to
write on holiday.

But I'm moving from lodge to lodge most (not every) night and I was
wondering if I might regret taking it due to the hassle.

What do you think?

Bobby

Old January 23rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
Liz

In message
"Bobby" wrote:

Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I haven't done it, but I've seen plenty of others doing it.
Just check the times the generator's on in each lodge for recharging.
Just make sure you don't get stopped by customs.
And don't leave it in your hold baggage.

I've taken an early psion several times, but it's been iffy, maybe or maybe
not due to having to go through the security scanner: I think modern laptops
must be well up to being scanned.

Liz

--
Virtual Liz now at http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:19 PM
Jean-Marc Liotier

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:46:29 +0000, Bobby wrote:

Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I'm going on a lodge-based safari next week (in Kenya) and I would like
to take my laptop to download and process photos each evening. I also
like to write on holiday.

But I'm moving from lodge to lodge most (not every) night and I was
wondering if I might regret taking it due to the hassle.

Having never been in a Kenyan lodge I do know what you should expect there
in terms of electricity quality and availability. One thing I do know for
sure is that regular laptops lack the hardening necessary for being hauled
around in the field - I have broken my share. So make sure that you pack
the laptop in a really sturdy, comfy, waterproof package. The words
"Pelican case" immediately spring to mind.

As laptop are well known easily resellable high value items, try to make
the laptop bag look not too obviously like a laptop bag. Also do not leave
it unattended for too long and preferably always out of sight of the
casual opportunist.

Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:35 PM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:53:46 GMT, Liz wrote:

"Bobby" wrote:
Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I haven't done it, but I've seen plenty of others doing it.

Indeed, I regularly travel with a laptop, whilst I've never done a
safari, I have done what I imagine is more aggressive with it
including rough camping etc.

Just check the times the generator's on in each lodge for recharging.
Just make sure you don't get stopped by customs.

Is there a big problem if you declare it on entry and exit in Kenya?
I've not heard of anyone with an obviously used laptop have any
problem. My camera is these days worth more than my laptop too, and
I'm definately not going to not take that when I manage to make it
Kenya.

I think modern laptops
must be well up to being scanned.

Mine goes through all the time...

Jim.
Old January 24th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Jim Ley

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:21:46 GMT, Liz wrote:
My camera is these days worth more than my laptop too, and
I'm definately not going to not take that when I manage to make it
Kenya.

Gosh, as we say, each to his own!
I'd far rather take my cameras + kit than a laptop!

Er I think my crap writing with too many negatives in the sentence
confused there, my Camera costs more and is almost as demanding on the
need for electric as my laptop.

(Don't think I'd ever be able to take both: I'm always pushing the weight in
economy, especially hand baggage)

You'd be surprised :-) I've done laptop + SLR with 2 lenses in my
carryon rucksack when that was the only bag I was taking for the 3 day
trip! who needs other stuff? Although that has been with RyanAir
who's never cared about the weight of my hand baggage.

(Of course you could always get a cheaper/2nd hand camera or the trip.)

Oh I'd almost certainly take the 4 cameras... I own (from the smallest
sub credit card sized one to the digital SLR with the long lens)

Jim.
Old January 24th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Pat Anderson

In message , Bobby
writes
Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I'm going on a lodge-based safari next week (in Kenya) and I would like to
take my laptop to download and process photos each evening. I also like to
write on holiday.

But I'm moving from lodge to lodge most (not every) night and I was
wondering if I might regret taking it due to the hassle.

What do you think?

Bobby

You may find that you return minus your laptop!
Why not take a camera and notebook? The headache of wondering if your
laptop might be stolen, plus carrying it around, make taking it on
holiday an unattractive proposition. Just my opinion.
Pat
--
Pat Anderson
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Jim Ley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 08:53:02 +0000, Pat Anderson
wrote:

You may find that you return minus your laptop!

You may also return minus your money, your camera, your underwear,
what's so special about the laptop?

The headache of wondering if your laptop might be stolen,

so don't worry about it? if it happens it happens. I've travelled
extensively all over the world with a laptop, I stay in hostels, I
don't wrorry about it and it's not been stolen yet. both the two
laptops I've carried cost 600quid, sure having it stolen would be not
nice, but neither would the camera equipment, or the credit cards, or
whatever cash I'm carrying, or the GPS.

We all often take lots of things on holiday because they increase the
enjoyment of the holiday, and whilst I generally actually carry the
laptop for work, I do enjoy the immediate turnaround of photos you get
with it.

Jim.
Old January 24th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Geir Ertzgaard

On 2005-01-23 22:46:29 +0100, "Bobby" said:

Is it practical to take a laptop on safari?

I'm going on a lodge-based safari next week (in Kenya) and I would like
to take my laptop to download and process photos each evening. I also
like to write on holiday.

But I'm moving from lodge to lodge most (not every) night and I was
wondering if I might regret taking it due to the hassle.

What do you think?

Bobby

I went to Kenya in November carrying an iBook and it was pure joy. The
equipment will be safe in any safari vehicle, and in the lodges there
are no problems at all. Just be wary of leaving it in a tent on its
own, but leave it at the hotel deposit.

Geir
No matter where you go, there you are
Geir Ertzgaard
iBook g3/500
iBook G4/977
iMac G4/1.2
iMac G3/233
Minolta Dimage 5
Minolta Dimage F100
Minolta Dynax 5

Old January 25th, 2005, 05:01 AM
Scott Elliot

I find it easier to carry two smaller storage systems such as a FlashTrax.
I keep one in my carry-on with my cameras and lenses and the other in my
wife's carry on. I once had an Image Tank fail and don't trust storing all
my photos on only one device. I store each flash card on both devices each
day before reformatting in the camera for the next day of shooting.

I don't want to spend my evenings editing photos so I don't miss a laptop.
The only thing I sometimes miss if the ability to resize photos to an email
size if I want to email some pictures to a friend.

Scott