Trains & ferries, Britain & Ireland

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:27 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
jpwoodruff

Default Trains & ferries, Britain & Ireland

I've got a question about tickets and reservations for my upcoming
vacation trip.

We mean to travel from London (after flying from US) to Ireland
without using a car. We will go by rail to Chester, spend a couple
days there, then rail & sail to Dublin.

How many tickets will I need for that journey? Will I buy both legs
each as an individual trip?

This is a "single" not a "return" ticket (in US we say "one-way" not
"round trip") because homebound is even more complex. We will spend
some time in Wales. Specifically, we'll leave Ireland from Rosslare
by Ferry to Fishguard. Then after a couple days looking at the
scenery, to Abergavenny by rail. A week or so later, to London, then
home.

I'm feeling pretty ignorant - like many another American, I usually
use a car when I travel. Please advise me: what tickets and
reservations will I need? Should I buy online from home, or over a
counter?

John
Old April 16th, 2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge Foreskin

On Apr 16, 9:27*pm, jpwoodruff wrote:
[...]

what's wrong with renting a car ?
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Runge Foreskin" wrote in message
[...]

ISTM that renting a car and then paying to put it on a ferry is a pretty
dumb thing to do

tim

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:08 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"jpwoodruff" wrote in message
[...]

Does:

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

answer your question?

tim

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge Foreskin

On Apr 16, 10:04*pm, "tim....." wrote:
[...]

ok......................why ?
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 21:08:47 +0100, "tim....."
wrote:

"jpwoodruff" wrote in message
I'm feeling pretty ignorant - like many another American, I usually
use a car when I travel. Please advise me: what tickets and
reservations will I need? Should I buy online from home, or over a
counter?

Does:

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

answer your question?

What train is that in the picture?

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)

wrote:

Does:

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

answer your question?

What train is that in the picture?

Virgin pendolino.

David

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate.
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)-
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerry[_5_]

[...]

You will have to buy tickets on a leg by leg basis. You can buy online
through the portal at http://nationalrail.co.uk/ The site is fairly easy
to navigate and gives you "best price options". For the route:-
London--Chester--Dublin.......Rosslare--Fishguard--Abergavenny--London,
the total cost (including the two ferries) should cost in the region of
about GBP120 (if you stick to off-peak travel). Buying train tickets in
advance is ALWAYS cheaper than over the counter.

Have a nice vacation!

Gerry

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:33 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On 16 Apr 2009 20:28:52 GMT, "David Horne, _the_ chancellor (*)"
wrote:

Hatunen wrote:

What train is that in the picture?

Virgin pendolino.

Are Virgin speeds high enough to need a Pendolino?