Burgos to UK or Ireland on short notice

Old June 30th, 2016, 04:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Burgos to UK or Ireland on short notice

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and have
to be out of Schengen on 4 July. Trying to avoid flying due to the
weight of my bag.

Getting inconsistent results from Rome2Rio, so wonder whether anyone has
knowledge (i.e. NOT guessing) about bus/train/ferry.

Best thing I have so far is buses Burgos to Rennes, train to Cherbourg,
then ferry to Dublin but the schedules are such that one missed
connection will result in a Schengen overstay.

Planes are easy, but the choices are very expensive ticket with some
baggage fees or cheap ticket with HUGE baggage fees.

--
Wes Groleau
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:17 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
dmg

I love Rome2Rio, I really do. But I note it has several... infelicities
that cause me to be careful with its recommendations. It is possible 4
July travel is caught in between a changeover in seasonal travel times?

Check with a different resource, if you have not already, such as
http://www.seat61.com/

Who knows, you might get a more reliable answer.

Happy travels!

Old June 30th, 2016, 05:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and
have to be out of Schengen on 4 July.

Why don't you go to Gibraltar or to the Channel Islands ?
It should also be fun.

(did the Channel Islands vote for Brexit ?)
Old June 30th, 2016, 05:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 06-30-2016 18:35, Giovanni Drogo wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and
have to be out of Schengen on 4 July.

Why don't you go to Gibraltar or to the Channel Islands ?
It should also be fun.

(did the Channel Islands vote for Brexit ?)

Gibraltar is easy to get to, but getting out without entering Schengen
isn't cheap for a fellow with a 35-kilo bag.

Hadn't thought of channel islands. Brexit is not relevant, as it hasn't
happened and wouldn't change Schengen if it had.

--
Wes Groleau
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:30:44 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and have
to be out of Schengen on 4 July. Trying to avoid flying due to the
weight of my bag.

Andorra is outside of the Schengen zone.
http://visitandorra.com/en/summer/th...elling-advice/
information-on-customs/

Getting inconsistent results from Rome2Rio, so wonder whether anyone has
knowledge (i.e. NOT guessing) about bus/train/ferry.

Best thing I have so far is buses Burgos to Rennes, train to Cherbourg,
then ferry to Dublin but the schedules are such that one missed
connection will result in a Schengen overstay.

Planes are easy, but the choices are very expensive ticket with some
baggage fees or cheap ticket with HUGE baggage fees.

Buses. For historical reasons there are few long distance buses in France.
http://www.eurolines.es/en/
http://uk.ouibus.com/
Paris Bercy to London by bus 9H00 29EUR.

For train connections see voyages-sncf
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Ferries
http://www.brittanyferries.com/
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:30:44 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and have
to be out of Schengen on 4 July. Trying to avoid flying due to the
weight of my bag.

Getting inconsistent results from Rome2Rio, so wonder whether anyone has
knowledge (i.e. NOT guessing) about bus/train/ferry.

Best thing I have so far is buses Burgos to Rennes, train to Cherbourg,
then ferry to Dublin but the schedules are such that one missed
connection will result in a Schengen overstay.

Planes are easy, but the choices are very expensive ticket with some
baggage fees or cheap ticket with HUGE baggage fees.

Brittany ferries:
July 3rd, foot passenger
Bilbao Portsmouth departure 10:30 Arrival 09:00
Santander Portsmouth departure 17:45 Arrival 20:45
Old July 1st, 2016, 06:25 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 07-01-2016 07:08, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:30:44 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Did not succeed in persuading Spain to give me a two-week visa and have
to be out of Schengen on 4 July. Trying to avoid flying due to the
weight of my bag.

Andorra is outside of the Schengen zone.
http://visitandorra.com/en/summer/th...elling-advice/
information-on-customs/

Even harder to leave than Gibraltar. Impossible to leave on land
without re-entering Schengen.

Getting inconsistent results from Rome2Rio, so wonder whether anyone has
knowledge (i.e. NOT guessing) about bus/train/ferry.

Best thing I have so far is buses Burgos to Rennes, train to Cherbourg,
then ferry to Dublin but the schedules are such that one missed
connection will result in a Schengen overstay.

Planes are easy, but the choices are very expensive ticket with some
baggage fees or cheap ticket with HUGE baggage fees.

Buses. For historical reasons there are few long distance buses in France.
http://www.eurolines.es/en/

Rome2Rio told me Eurolines but the route didn't exist. I didn't know
France well enough to find another route.

http://uk.ouibus.com/
Paris Bercy to London by bus 9H00 29EUR.

Didn't find that one, either. After digging a while, bought ALSA bus
from Burgos to London for €113. Probably can't get refund. Had to wait
till the third to get a seat. Going to the bus station today to see
whether I can bump it sooner.

For train connections see voyages-sncf
http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Ferries
Brittany ferries:
July 3rd, foot passenger
Bilbao Portsmouth departure 10:30 Arrival 09:00
Santander Portsmouth departure 17:45 Arrival 20:45

Didn't see those either. Hmmm.

Thanks for the info.

--
Wes Groleau
Old July 1st, 2016, 12:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Paul Aubrin

On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 07:25:32 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Buses. For historical reasons there are few long distance buses in
France.
http://www.eurolines.es/en/

Eurolines:
Burgos-London Jul. 2. 118EUR+taxes(5EUR)
Burgos-Paris (Gallieni) Jul. 1. 18H00 86EUR

http://www.ouibus.com/
Paris(Bercy) to London Jul. 2. 14H00 - 22H00 29EUR.
21H00-5H00 35EUR

Paris Gallieni to Paris Bercy one metro ticket.
Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
W. Wesley Groleau

On 07-01-2016 13:55, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Fri, 01 Jul 2016 07:25:32 +0200, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Buses. For historical reasons there are few long distance buses in
France.
http://www.eurolines.es/en/

Eurolines:
Burgos-London Jul. 2. 118EUR+taxes(5EUR)

Hmmm. That's what Rome2Rio said, but when I clicked the link, it took
me to the EuroLines site, which in several tries seemed to indicate
there is no such route. Tried first and third of the month also.

But ALSA's site first showed €123 (IVA included), but then dropped it to
€113 with the "senior discount."

In Spain, IVA on buses is ten percent,
so it would have been €111.82 + €11.18

Burgos-Paris (Gallieni) Jul. 1. 18H00 86EUR

http://www.ouibus.com/
Paris(Bercy) to London Jul. 2. 14H00 - 22H00 29EUR.
21H00-5H00 35EUR

Paris Gallieni to Paris Bercy one metro ticket.

€121 plus the metro. Not bad.

--
Wes Groleau