Whakanaka to Napier.

Old October 18th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Peter

In article , JohnM says...
In article , Peter
writes

But for my money the best is the coastal route via East Cape where
you'll see spectacular views from a highway that often clings to the top
of a huge cliff and some genuine Maori communities. This is where "Whale
Rider" was filmed, and that is how the people live, with every school
having an entrance carved in the old fashion.

MMmm. let me go back to my plans. Thanks Peter

It's hard to wrong in New Zealand, no matter what you do. Everywhere is
good. It's just that the best is superb.

Which is probably why I've been such a fan for twenty years.

Peter

Old October 20th, 2004, 07:44 PM
JohnM

In article , vicki Steven
writes
in article , JohnM at
wrote on 18/10/04 7:37 AM:

What is the best way to go from Whakanaka (White Island) to Napier?
Is it the coastal route via Gisborn or the inland route via Rotorua and
Taupo. I was thinking of going to Rotorua then Whakanaka then Napier
then Taupo.

Assume you mean Whakatane??

Yes, I get confused...

The most direct route is Highway 5, via Rotorua
& Taupo - 310 Km;

The alternative is Highway 2, via Gisborne (this is NOT coastal, but pretty
much entirely inland) - 418 km

Or the "scenic route" via East Cape as recommended by another poster - about
500 Km (you'd really need 2 days for this route as there is so much to see).

Incidentally, how would you rate the Nelson area vs Franz-Josef-
Queenstown-Te Anau? I am not particularly keen to go bungee jumping. How
long do you think I should allow for Nelson and from Greymouth to
INvercargill?

I have budgeted for 9 weeks in NZ, at least 1 week of which will be
Auckland to see friends.

Question to Peter as well.
--
JohnM
Old October 20th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Peter

In article , JohnM says...
Incidentally, how would you rate the Nelson area vs Franz-Josef-
Queenstown-Te Anau? I am not particularly keen to go bungee jumping. How
long do you think I should allow for Nelson and from Greymouth to
INvercargill?

Only you can really answer that question. Nelson isn't as big on
dramatic scenery leaning in the window and saying hello, but it's a
great place to use as a base to wander through the forests to the south
or the Marlborough Sounds to the north or the ocean coastline reserves
to the west. Or even to stretch out to Kaikoura for some whale-watching,
though that would make for a long day indeed.

For myself, and if I had the money, I'd love to make my leisurely way
down the island. I could happily spend a week at Queenstown and not do
so much as a luge ride. The scenery is awesome, and I would be happy to
sit on a lakefront balcony doing nothing beyond fetching myself another
drink from time to time.

If you wanted, you could get from Nelson to Invercargill in two solid
days of driving by going down the east coast, stopping at Christchurch
overnight. The roads are good, the traffic sparse.

Or take your time and see all the good bits. If I had a month to "do"
the South Island, I reckon I'd just sort of drift down as I pleased,
sitting out the rainy days (or visiting things like museums and
galleries) and using the clear days to see the scenery. I wouldn't want
to visit New Zealand and not see the Sounds, and while they have their
attractions on a rainy day, I'd dearly love to see those sunny postcard
views, and that pretty much means waiting for a clear day in either Te
Anau or Queenstown.

Cheers, Peter

Old October 21st, 2004, 09:07 PM
JohnM

In article , Peter
writes
In article , JohnM says...
[...]

Current thinking is - made them 10 weeks.

for North Island

Week 1 Auckland
Week 2 Northland, rtn to Auckland
Week 3 Waitomo/Rotorua Whakatana/Gisborne
Week 4 Napier/ Taupo
Week 5 Taupo-Wellington.

for South Island

Week 1 Picton/Nelson/Kaikoura/Cristchurch
Week 2 Greymouth/glaciers/Queenstown
Week 3 Queenstown/Te Anau/Invercargill
Week 4 Stewart island/Dunedin - fly to Wellington
Week 5 Wellington-Chathams-Auckland.

Now I don't know if I should include Stewart Island and especially the
Chathams. Point is, I am interested in the Moriori and all that. Have
you been to the Chathams, Peter?

--
JohnM