Currancy Exchange

Old December 13th, 2004, 07:39 PM
artwahh

Default Currancy Exchange

We are travelling to Oz very shortly. We are seeking advice on the best way
to take the cash there. We have debit cards, credit cards and money in the
savings. Do we get travellers cheques? or take our cards??????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Old December 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Alan

"artwahh" wrote in
:

We are travelling to Oz very shortly. We are seeking advice on the
best way to take the cash there. We have debit cards, credit cards
and money in the savings. Do we get travellers cheques? or take our
cards??????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

We spent several months in Australia earlier this year, and didn't take
much cash, just used our credit card against our Canadian account.

Make sure your credit card is registered at your bank so you can withdraw
from abroad. Then just used it as a withdrawal card. Sometimes the credit
card *won't* work at all banks in Australia. Just talk to your bank and see
what they advise.

We found this the easiest way to manage our money, we didn't have to worry
about travellers cheques or anything else. The charges were $2.50 for each
withdrawal, so we would take $200-300 each time. Plus the bank may charge
for the money conversion. Again, best thing, talk to your bank.

Alan

Old December 13th, 2004, 08:18 PM
chubby

You can get Atms at banks and hotels and some service stations that takes
most cards and credit cards are taken every where in shops so thats the
way to go

Old December 13th, 2004, 08:18 PM
chubby

Old December 13th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Frank Slootweg

artwahh wrote:
We are travelling to Oz very shortly. We are seeking advice on the best way
to take the cash there. We have debit cards, credit cards and money in the
savings. Do we get travellers cheques? or take our cards??????

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

A credit card and a spare one (in case anything happens to the first
one) and some cash (drawn from an ATM upon arrival) to get you through
the next few days (in case there is no ATM, it is
closed/broken/empty/limited/etc.).

Old December 14th, 2004, 12:02 AM
Geoff Lowry

Some friends of mine came over to Australia with travellers cheques in
Australian currency. These did not work so well as most banks are very
suspicious and charged $5 to cash them. Bank of Melbourne did not charge
any fee and were quite helpful, but the rest of the banks that we tried were
down right impossible.

I would suggest not bringing travellers cheques. ATM cards and Credit cards
should work fine.

Old December 14th, 2004, 12:37 AM
A Mate

Travellers Cheques are no longer used much. ATM's are almost everywhere
(even in the outback you can withdraw money through your credit card using
eftpos).

Cirrus, Plus, Maestro, Star - and virtually every other ATM network known
are supported!