air conditioning may be making us fat

Old June 28th, 2006, 11:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default air conditioning may be making us fat

I don't remember seeing overweight people in Ghana. No air conditioning.

I don't remember seeing any overweight people in Hitler's death
camps, nor in Stalin's gulags. Yeah, it was the lack of AC.

Pete

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Jack Campin - bogus address writes:

You don't. You can just get used to it; it only took me a few days to
get used to temperatures in the high 30s the first time I encountered
them (in Australia) and to temperatures in the mid-40s when I met with
them (in Kurdistan).

You never get used to these temperatures. That's why air conditioning
is so widespread.

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

JohnT writes:

What specific differences have you observed when comparing Ghana with the
rest of the World?

Poverty and a low standard of living, as compared with other countries
that can afford air conditioning.

Not that air conditioning is absent from the Third World--far from it.
But in many Third-World countries, the number of people who can afford
air conditioning is small.

Old June 29th, 2006, 06:53 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

JohnT writes:

But you claim that your Paris airconditioning is essential.

During increasingly frequent heat waves, yes.

So why do you also have hiking boots unless you are a total poseur.

Because I wear them for all purposes, and because I like to walk when
I have the time and when the climate permits. I don't generally walk
on days when A/C is required.

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:

Mxsmanic writes:

Jack Campin - bogus address writes:

You don't. You can just get used to it; it only took me a few days to
get used to temperatures in the high 30s the first time I encountered
them (in Australia) and to temperatures in the mid-40s when I met with
them (in Kurdistan).

You never get used to these temperatures. That's why air conditioning
is so widespread.

Airconditioning is widespread in the western world because conservative
businesses expect their staff to continue wearing business attire in
conditions under which it is ridiculous to do so.

Don't forget erstwhile rich Americans squatting in badly ventilated
Parisian cupboards.

High 30s is perfectly comfortable in shorts and t-shirt.

And hiking boots!

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Paul Dwerryhouse writes:

Airconditioning is widespread in the western world because conservative
businesses expect their staff to continue wearing business attire in conditions
under which it is ridiculous to do so.

In part, yes. But mostly air conditioning exists to make hot climates
tolerable.

High 30s is perfectly comfortable in shorts and t-shirt.

It depends on the humidity.

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Pete

I don't remember seeing any overweight people in Hitler's death
camps, nor in Stalin's gulags. Yeah, it was the lack of AC.

does this qualify to close the thread?
--
Mike Reid
Shetland, Yell and Unst
Old June 29th, 2006, 08:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 28/06/06 21:13, in article ,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

One reason some people are uncomfortable in air-conditioned
environments is that often the A/C isn't powerful enough.

The complaint in the papers here is that they are too powerful.

The issue is how much temperature difference between the inside
and outside? When were were in Ghana, one hotel room was too
cold, the temperature was set at around 24°C. I moved it up
to 28°C and the chill factor went away.

Our dog will not pant at 30°C but around 33°C the panting sets
in. I feel the same way, I find 30°C comfortable if it is in the
high 30s outside.

The big problem is the brutal effect on the body of passing from
40°C (let's say) to 25°C. Other factors such as air motion
and humidity play a role but the temperature difference is
the most important one.

Another factor, largely ignored in home systems, is
maintaining it. There is something called the "sick
building syndrome", which has many causes but one
of which is

"Bacteria pollen and mould - if these contaminants collect in drains or
air-conditioning systems they can breed and spread causing a variety of
health problems such as allergies and infections."

"Researchers at Louisiana State Medical Center identified eight different
types of mould living inside of 22 of 25 cars tested. Air conditioning units
can also circulate air-borne diseases, most famously Legionairešs Disease.
If the unit has cheap filters or is not properly maintained it will simply
recirculate pollutants."

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:57 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 28/06/06 21:16, in article ,
"Mxsmanic" wrote:

There are other differences between Ghana and the rest of the world.

Yes, most countries do not lie so close to the equator.

Old June 29th, 2006, 08:59 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 28/06/06 22:53, in article , "JohnT"
wrote:

What specific differences have you observed when comparing Ghana with the
rest of the World?

Egypt was hotter. Death Valley in the summer was the worst.