What is the best website for train travel in Italy?

Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default What is the best website for train travel in Italy?

I surfed to http://www.raileurope.com and when I enter Florence, Italy
and Pisa, Italy as the source and destination, raileurope.com claims
that they are "unrecognized". I've tried it multiple times. Yet,
elsewhere in the site, I can see that trains serve both cities (I also
took a train the opposite way -- from Pisa to Florence in 1975). Can
anyone tell me the best site for obtaining train reservations and
timetables in Italy (that you have used before)? Many thanks.

Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge11

http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/fer...il/inglese.jsp
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Old April 3rd, 2008, 03:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Bennetts

wrote in message
I surfed to http://www.raileurope.com and when I enter Florence, Italy
and Pisa, Italy as the source and destination, raileurope.com claims
that they are "unrecognized". I've tried it multiple times. Yet,
elsewhere in the site, I can see that trains serve both cities (I also
took a train the opposite way -- from Pisa to Florence in 1975). Can
anyone tell me the best site for obtaining train reservations and
timetables in Italy (that you have used before)? Many thanks.

You could also use http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml
which covers virtually all Europe
If not using the English translation of the trenitalia website you would
most likely need to use Firenze in lieu Florence.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia

Old April 3rd, 2008, 07:48 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Wed, 2 Apr 2008 11:20:39 -0700 (PDT) schrieb :

I surfed to
http://www.raileurope.com and when I enter Florence, Italy
and Pisa, Italy as the source and destination, raileurope.com claims
that they are "unrecognized". I've tried it multiple times. Yet,
elsewhere in the site, I can see that trains serve both cities (I also
took a train the opposite way -- from Pisa to Florence in 1975). Can
anyone tell me the best site for obtaining train reservations and
timetables in Italy (that you have used before)?

imho you don't need any reservation for trains between Pisa and Florence. I
took the train there 3 years ago (day trip from Pisa to Florence and back)
and simply walked to the ticket-booth at the station, got my ticket (they
speak english), and took the next train. They did have about 3 trains go on
that track every hour (in the day, at night-times its less), so you
shouldn't have any problem catching one and you shouldn't wait longer than
20 minutes maximum.

The ride is not long anyway, between 60 and 90 minutes according to the
train (some trains have more stops). I did went at around 9 o' clock in the
morning and the train was not full (many seats available), so I think you
can do without any reservation.

Ticket was only a few Euros by the way, so no need to make any fuzz with
booking in advance.

Regards,

Frank
Old April 3rd, 2008, 12:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
ALAN HARRISON[_2_]

Much useful advice already given. Certainly there's no need to book in
advance on the route from Florence to Pisa, which has a frequent commuter
service. Indeed, on many of the trains, prior reservation would be
impossible. (In fact a check for tomorrow morning shows five trtains between
09.27 and 11.27, all regional trains without advance booking.)

Alan Harrison

Old April 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008, wrote:

Can anyone tell me the best site for obtaining train reservations and
timetables in Italy (that you have used before)?

For timetables all over Europe the site I prefer is
http://home.arcor.de/e.lauterbach/au...fplanx-en.html, which is an
alternate, simpler and faster, interface to the German railway site,
which has timetable for all Europe.

I prefer that for timetable inquiries to the Trenitalia own sites like
http://www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html or
http://www.ferroviedellostato.it/fer...il/inglese.jsp

However for fare inquiries you have to use Trenitalia

This site by Trenitalia is instead useful to have real time timetable
info and maps : http://www.viaggiatreno.it/viaggiatreno/
Don't be misled by the front page in italian, press Entra to start the
applet and then click on the Union Jack to get the English version.

For reservations personally I prefer to apply to the station ticket
office or to a travel agent, and travel with old good paper tickets.
They are better if you have to claim a refund or do a change of ticket.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to