Auckland - good restaurants for a special occasion

Old September 18th, 2008, 10:16 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kerry Raymond

Default Auckland - good restaurants for a special occasion

We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary while on holiday in
Auckland. Any suggestions for good restaurants?

It's an occasion when we aren't too concerned about price (I guess we only
get one 25th!) but we'd probably prefer a place that does innovative things
with top quality local ingredients (sort of "Mod Oz" or "fusion" if we were
in Australia). I like some seafood, but my husband is less keen, so a top
seafood restaurant probably isn't the best choice.

On a similar note, any recommendations for good B-n-Bs or boutique hotels in
the Auckland area? I was thinking perhaps in the Devonport area, but open to
other picturesque areas by the harbour (or with other great vies)?

Kerry

Old September 26th, 2008, 10:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kevin

Kerry Raymond wrote:

We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary while on holiday in
Auckland. Any suggestions for good restaurants?

It's an occasion when we aren't too concerned about price (I guess we only
get one 25th!) but we'd probably prefer a place that does innovative things
with top quality local ingredients (sort of "Mod Oz" or "fusion" if we were
in Australia). I like some seafood, but my husband is less keen, so a top
seafood restaurant probably isn't the best choice.

Try the 'Orbit' restaurant located at the top of the Sky Tower, with 360° of
views out over Auckland from a good vantage point.
http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/sky...orbit_home.cfm

Old September 27th, 2008, 01:06 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article , Kevin wrote:

Kerry Raymond wrote:

We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary while on holiday in
Auckland. Any suggestions for good restaurants?

It's an occasion when we aren't too concerned about price (I guess we only
get one 25th!) but we'd probably prefer a place that does innovative things
with top quality local ingredients (sort of "Mod Oz" or "fusion" if we were
in Australia). I like some seafood, but my husband is less keen, so a top
seafood restaurant probably isn't the best choice.

Try the 'Orbit' restaurant located at the top of the Sky Tower, with 360° of
views out over Auckland from a good vantage point.
http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/sky...d-bars/orbit/o
rbit_home.cfm

"Wildfire," at the wharf area, serves "Gaucho Style," swords of meat,
seafood, chicken -- all you can eat, with a great atmosphere.

We were there this past March and enjoyed it.

I would also recommend renting a car (check with your credit card
companies about rental insurance well in advance of your trip). NZ has a
NZ $2500 bond requirement.

The black sand beaches west of Auckland are really nice.

Old September 27th, 2008, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
scander

Check out www.time2dine.co.nz

Bob

Old September 27th, 2008, 09:42 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Kevin

Kerry Raymond wrote:

We will be celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary while on holiday in
Auckland. Any suggestions for good restaurants?

It's an occasion when we aren't too concerned about price (I guess we only
get one 25th!) but we'd probably prefer a place that does innovative things
with top quality local ingredients (sort of "Mod Oz" or "fusion" if we were
in Australia). I like some seafood, but my husband is less keen, so a top
seafood restaurant probably isn't the best choice.

Try the 'Orbit' restaurant located at the top of the Sky Tower, with 360° of
views out over Auckland from a good vantage point.
http://www.skycityauckland.co.nz/sky...orbit_home.cfm

Another suggestion is 'Cin Cin on Quay', located in the
historic Ferry Building right on Auckland's waterfront,
overlooking the harbour.
http://www.cincin.co.nz/Content+Menu/RESTAURANT.html