Dutch Money

Old January 30th, 2011, 07:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Dutch Money

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 17:27:26 -0500, S Viemeister
wrote:

On 1/29/2011 5:13 PM, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 12:08:47 -0700, Ken wrote:

Those are disadvantages for some people, but not for me. I pay my
bills in full each month, and I spend only what I can afford to.
Essentially, I use the Credit Card exactly the same way most people
use their Debit Card, but reap the advantages the Debit Card doesn't
have.

Of course you pay more to have a credit card.

Mine doesn't. They pay me.

Out of the 3%-5% they charge the retailer.

I know that, but my debit card does the same when used as a credit card.
That's why I write checks for small local retailers. I don't have this
choice away from home and there's a limit to how much cash I like to carry
overseas.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:53:48 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:59:55 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:57:59 +0000, Erilar wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 00:58:25 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Erilar
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:16:16 +0100, "Tim C."
wrote:

I regularly use ones here in petrol
stations and supermarkets and so on.

I pay for most things with it and without charge.

It sounds to me as if you are talking about using it as a credit
card.

No I use it as a debit card. You can pay for most things with a
local debit card without charge in NL and UK.

When I use my debit card as a credit card, there is no charge ;
the charge is for using it in a non-USBank ATM. My regular credit
card doesn't charge unless I don't pay the whole bill each
month(which I do) AND pays ME for using it.

Perhaps we have a terminology mismatch here. I can pay anything
with my debit card that I can pay with my credit card and there is
no charge. It's using it for cash that's noticeably different. For
anything BUT cash I prefer to use the credit card because I get a
cash reward for doing so. (Some people get airline miles, rail
miles, and other kinds of rewards)

The difference between the two is that when you use a debit card the
money is deducted from your account immediately when you make a
transaction. With a credit card the money is deducted periodically -
once a month. If you have nothing in your account a debit card won't
work.

That's an advantage for the debit card, because my bank is on notice
NOT to allow an overdraft, which would mean someone else was trying to
use it.

It's also a disadvantage because a "debit card" can be used as if it
were a credit card.

My pocket was picked in Paris some years ago. It contained my Visa card
and two ATM cards. I quickly reported these to the appropriate centers.
In the following weeks the credit card got used to charge some US $600
while the ATM cards, which require the use of PIN, did not get used at
all.

My Visa debit card requires a PIN too. Maybe things have changed, David?

Can you never ever use it without a PIN?

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 1/30/2011 8:24 PM, David Hatunen wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 10:53:48 +0100, Martin wrote:

My Visa debit card requires a PIN too. Maybe things have changed, David?

Can you never ever use it without a PIN?

My UK debit card has a chip, and requires a PIN, except when being used
for mail-order purchases.
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:49 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Neal Plotkin[_2_]

In article ,
"James Silverton" wrote:

I have an ATM card from my US bank that is *not* a debit card and, in
fact, I insisted that the bank give me one without the debit feature. I
have used the ATM card in Europe and in Mexico without problems.

I'm curious -- why did you bother? When my bank replaced my pure ATM
card with an ATM-debit card, I thought about making a fuss, but decided
to be lazy. I simply ignore the debit function and only use it as an
ATM card.

--
Neal Plotkin
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 14:10:58 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :

:

I regularly use ones here in petrol
stations and supermarkets and so on.

I pay for most things with it and without charge.

It sounds to me as if you are talking about using it as a credit card.

Nope. The ATM cards are often used in shops and businesses as POS card,
direct-debit if you want to call them that. Not credit cards.

--
Tim C.
My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli. A strong currant pulled him in.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 08:38:57 -0700, Ken Blake wrote in post :
:

wrote:

Perhaps we have a terminology mismatch here. I can pay anything with my
debit card that I can pay with my credit card and there is no charge. It's
using it for cash that's noticeably different. For anything BUT cash I
prefer to use the credit card because I get a cash reward for doing so.
(Some people get airline miles, rail miles, and other kinds of rewards)

The difference between the two is that when you use a debit card the money is
deducted from your account immediately when you make a transaction. With a
credit card the money is deducted periodically - once a month.
If you have nothing in your account a debit card won't work.

There are actually three differences (advantages to the Credit Card)
between the two:

1. Rewards for credit card use, as Erilar said. (I get airline
mileage)

2. Float with a Credit Card (as you said).

3. Better security with a Credit Card. If you order something and pay
for it with a Credit Card, but don't receive it, you can complain to
the Credit Card company and get the charge removed.

For those reasons, I use a Credit Card for almost *everything* I buy,
and never use a Debit Card, except as an ATM card when I need cash.

The last pint is hardly valid when I'm in the shop though.

--
Tim C.
I went to the doctors recently and told him 'I've hurt my arm in several
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 16:50:14 +0100, Martin wrote in post :
:

There are actually three differences (advantages to the Credit Card)
between the two:

1. Rewards for credit card use, as Erilar said. (I get airline
mileage)

2. Float with a Credit Card (as you said).

3. Better security with a Credit Card. If you order something and pay
for it with a Credit Card, but don't receive it, you can complain to
the Credit Card company and get the charge removed.

For those reasons, I use a Credit Card for almost *everything* I buy,
and never use a Debit Card, except as an ATM card when I need cash.

The disadvantages are the interest one has to pay if one gets into debt and the
ability to spend more than one can afford.

And they are not accepted everywhere. It depends on the country but the ATM
cards are the accepted way of cashless payment here, credit cards hardly
get a look in.

--
Tim C.
You know, somebody actually complimented me on my driving today.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:13:52 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :

:

That's why I write checks for small local retailers.

cheques? What's a cheque?

--
Tim C.
That Black Beauty, he's a dark horse.
Old January 31st, 2011, 07:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:16:54 +0000 (UTC), Erilar wrote in post :

:

Martin wrote:

Of course you pay more to have a credit card.

Not if you have the sense to pay it off every month.

Then one of the 3 main advantages of a CC over a DC is reduced to almost
null.

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.[_5_]

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:59:55 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen wrote in post :
:

It's also a disadvantage because a "debit card" can be used as if it were
a credit card.

Not mine.

--
Tim C.
The book about the discovery of Teflon contained no frictional characters.