5 days in a Mediterranean city - suggestions?

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default 5 days in a Mediterranean city - suggestions?

Hi, I'd like to spend about 5 days at the end of April - beginning of
May somewhere in a Mediterranean city. I'm looking for somewhere
that's warm and nice looking, and is laid back, but still has enough to
do for 5 days for someone traveling alone. Maybe something in the
countryside. Or if it's on the coast it would be a big plus also. Was
thinking about Seville, but don't know if there's enough to do
there for five days.

I've been to the capitals in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and
the Netherlands, so I'm looking for something a bit quieter maybe,
and which has a different feel from the places I've already been.
however I'm still considering Rome. Does Rome have a Mediterranean
feel?

Thanks.

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

alexr wrote:
Hi, I'd like to spend about 5 days at the end of April - beginning of
May somewhere in a Mediterranean city. I'm looking for somewhere
that's warm and nice looking, and is laid back, but still has enough to
do for 5 days for someone traveling alone. Maybe something in the
countryside. Or if it's on the coast it would be a big plus also. Was
thinking about Seville, but don't know if there's enough to do
there for five days.

I've been to the capitals in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and
the Netherlands, so I'm looking for something a bit quieter maybe,
and which has a different feel from the places I've already been.
however I'm still considering Rome. Does Rome have a Mediterranean
feel?

I'd vote for Nice.

Rome couldn't be considered laid back by any stretch of the imagination.

Karen Selwyn

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"alexr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'd like to spend about 5 days at the end of April - beginning of
May somewhere in a Mediterranean city. I'm looking for somewhere
that's warm and nice looking, and is laid back, but still has enough to
do for 5 days for someone traveling alone. Maybe something in the
countryside. Or if it's on the coast it would be a big plus also. Was
thinking about Seville, but don't know if there's enough to do
there for five days.

I've been to the capitals in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and
the Netherlands, so I'm looking for something a bit quieter maybe,
and which has a different feel from the places I've already been.
however I'm still considering Rome. Does Rome have a Mediterranean
feel?

How about Malaga? Very pleasant city and stacks of stuff around.
Barcelona is often recommended to me but I haven't been there as yet.

Or we very much like Charnia, Crete. Smaller 'city' and extremely
attractive.

Surreyman

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 13 Apr 2006 05:04:16 -0700, "alexr"
wrote:

Hi, I'd like to spend about 5 days at the end of April - beginning of
May somewhere in a Mediterranean city. I'm looking for somewhere
that's warm and nice looking, and is laid back, but still has enough to
do for 5 days for someone traveling alone. Maybe something in the
countryside. Or if it's on the coast it would be a big plus also. Was
thinking about Seville, but don't know if there's enough to do
there for five days.

I've been to the capitals in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and
the Netherlands, so I'm looking for something a bit quieter maybe,
and which has a different feel from the places I've already been.
however I'm still considering Rome. Does Rome have a Mediterranean
feel?

Thanks.

Menton

Laid-back, there are some very inexpensive flats/villas,
close to Monaco, close to the Ligurian coast, plenty of
cafes. Buses and trains (IIRC) to Nice, San Remo and places
beyond.

"enough to do?" Depends on your interests.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Alan S :

wrote:

[...]

My vote goes to Menton as well.
An atmosphere like Nice & Cannes but smaller and less hectic. Hire a
car/bike and ride up into the mountains to the north.

Also maybe Vence, but you'll likely need transport to drive around.
--
Tim C.
Old April 13th, 2006, 03:02 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"alexr" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I'd like to spend about 5 days at the end of April - beginning of
May somewhere in a Mediterranean city. I'm looking for somewhere
that's warm and nice looking, and is laid back, but still has enough to
do for 5 days for someone traveling alone. Maybe something in the
countryside. Or if it's on the coast it would be a big plus also. Was
thinking about Seville, but don't know if there's enough to do
there for five days.

I've been to the capitals in France, England, Germany, Belgium, and
the Netherlands, so I'm looking for something a bit quieter maybe,
and which has a different feel from the places I've already been.
however I'm still considering Rome. Does Rome have a Mediterranean
feel?

Thanks.

really depends on your interests? Seville does have plenty of interest and
could keep you occupied for at least 3 days. however it's easy to get to
other places from Seville by train (or bus) and so you can go to Cordoba
(brilliant city) or south to Jerez and see the sherry bodegas etc. And if
you hanker after the sea then continue to either El Puerto or to Cadiz ?
The Playa Victoria that faces the Atlantic at Cadiz is one long sandy
stretch of superb beach that is very very popular in the hot summer.

Old April 13th, 2006, 03:41 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

I could easily have killed five days in Granada, I think - given that
the OP doesn't seem to be desperate for a frantic schedule. Likewise
Palermo. Both would have plenty of decent day-trips available.
Barcelona would be another choice, as said earlier, but although it's a
pretty laid-back place, it's laid-back in a bustling kind of way and
also more touristy than other places mentioned.

Old April 13th, 2006, 04:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Karen Selwyn wrote in news:Bcr%f.3116$8q.2098
@dukeread08:

alexr wrote:
[...]

I would vote for near Nice. Villefranche sur mer for instance is close
enough to the hustle and bustle and yet quiet in its own charming way.
Lots of places nearby with train and bus connections.

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

Old April 13th, 2006, 05:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Tim C. wrote:

[]
My vote goes to Menton as well.
An atmosphere like Nice & Cannes but smaller and less hectic. Hire a
car/bike and ride up into the mountains to the north.

Also maybe Vence, but you'll likely need transport to drive around.

Depends. There's a pretty decent bus service from Nice to Vence and St.
Paul. It was all very laid back when we visited those areas (including
Nice) but that was the end of November, not April...

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org