What are your favorite Australian towns you've most enjoyed visiting?

Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Jeff[_7_]

Default What are your favorite Australian towns you've most enjoyed visiting?

What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 05:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross[_1_]

The two loveliest spots in Oz that I like best are :

The South Coast around Esperance WA and

The Northern Rivers of NSW from the Clarence River to the Queensland Border.

Two best wine regions I like best :

McLaren Vale SA which IMHO grows the best Shiraz and some of the best
Grenache in Oz and

The Mudgee district which grows some of the more unusual wines. (e.g.
Sangiovese but "different")

Ross

oups.com...

Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:14 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Lu-lu via TravelKB.com

I had a fantastic holiday in Tasmania. Best spots - the drive up the west
coast and poking about on the north east corner beaches. See what life was
like in the 50s when your average worker could afford a beach shack anywhere
there was a beach.
Another fabuluous spot is King Island, if you like your weather wild and
woolly and windy, and I mean windy.
Can't really narrow Oz down to two spots though!

Old November 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:24:03 +1000, "Ross"
wrote:

The two loveliest spots in Oz that I like best are :

The South Coast around Esperance WA and

I'll get there one day.

The Northern Rivers of NSW from the Clarence River to the Queensland Border.

Won't argue with that - schooled in Grafton and living on
the Tweed Coast:-)

Apart from home, two mo

Broken Bay at the mouth of the Hawkesbury, and up the
Hawkesbury towards Mangrove Mountain;

The Snowy River region. (so I can't count - big deal - I
left out 20 more)

Two best wine regions I like best :

McLaren Vale SA which IMHO grows the best Shiraz and some of the best
Grenache in Oz and

The Mudgee district which grows some of the more unusual wines. (e.g.
Sangiovese but "different")

I'd add Rutherglen and the Hunter to those two.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com/
latest: Ancient Rome
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:18 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

That very much depends on your interests!!

Australia is about the same size as the Continental USA - with just as wide
a range of climate etc. What are YOU looking for?

oups.com...

Old November 23rd, 2006, 01:56 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Turan Fettahoglu

What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

The Great Barrier Reef. I visited Lady Elliot Island and enjoyed every day.

Old November 23rd, 2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

Jeff wrote:
What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

Let me see: The outback, the outback and ... the outback! Did I
already mention the outback? :-)

But seriously, besides the outback, some of the towns/regions we
enjoyed:

Alice Springs, NT: Western McDonnell ranges.
Oodnadatta Track, SA: old railroad remains.
Coward Springs, SA: Hot springs on campground.
Copley, SA: Very friendly hosts at caravan park.
Gammon Ranges, SA: Very isolated campground at Grindell's Hut.
Innamincka and Coongie Lakes, SA: Small and cosey outback 'town'.
Birdsville, QLD: Pub of Birdville Hotel.
Mataranka, NT: "We of the never-never." memorial site.
Katherine Gorge, NT: Full day gorge-tour.
Litchfield NP, NT: Many waterfalls and pools an termite-mounds.

Broken Hill, NSW: Historical buildings and Silverton ghost-town.
Rainbow Valley, NT: Rainbow-colored rock formations.
Port Pirie, SA: Nice coastal town.
Old November 23rd, 2006, 11:31 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb

"Turan Fettahoglu" wrote in message
What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

The Great Barrier Reef. I visited Lady Elliot Island and enjoyed every
day.

A great place, but not exactly a "town".

Old November 24th, 2006, 12:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Alan S[_1_]

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 09:31:42 +1100, "Peter Webb"
wrote:

"Turan Fettahoglu" wrote in message
What are your favorite Australian towns and regions (other than any
metropolitan capital cities) you've most enjoyed visiting (compared to
others) and what do you most recommend or admire about each one.

The Great Barrier Reef. I visited Lady Elliot Island and enjoyed every
day.

A great place, but not exactly a "town".

Not that it really matters, but if you're going to be picky,
the OP asked:

Old November 24th, 2006, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
The Aussie Viking

Exmouth. It is close to ningaloo reef, which in parts is that close you can
wade out with goggles to look at the coral, even if you can't swim. It has
Turquise bay, Glass bottomed boats for coral viewing, whaleshark tours to
swim with, big game fishing. Even in the harbour, I have seen them landing
fish over 400mm long before you get into deeper water. Ningaloo reef is the
world's closest fringing reef, and is over 260Km's long. Better than the
Great Barrier Reef IMHO (I'm an ex Qld'r) and lots closer to shore. It
ranges from a few metres to 200 metres offshore.

Then there is the land attractions, like shothole canyon and Charles Knife
Road (driving on an escarpment, with valleys and sheer drop on both sides,
sometimes it's only as wide as the road. (8 metres) There are safety cables
to stop you running into valleys over a hundred metres deep. There is also
an array of antenna's for Submarine communication, that can talk to sub's
under ice at the north pole. They are over 1,000 feet tall, the tallest
being 1,271 feet tall, and spread out over 2 1/2 Km in diameter. It's the
world's largest VLF transmitter, and can transmit over 2Mw of power. When it
is transmitting, you could hold a fleuro tube in the air, and it would light
from the power (No longer allowed, but I have seen pic's of it done when
under construction.)

It is also a good jump-off point to see Karajini National Park and
Millstream. We went there initially on the way to Karajini, and it soon
became apparent we would need to spend 2 weeks there alone to do it justice.