Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

Old January 3rd, 2010, 01:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
neverwas

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

In summary, is it sensible to take out Supplementary Liability
Insurance (SLI) when hiring cars in Victoria, New South Wales, Northern
Territory and Queensland?

I have read past threads about car hire insurance but cannot find a
clear answer. This is partly because I cannot find out
just what is covered by the mandatory insurance.

By way of background:

o we are UK residents
o we shall be hiring cars in Melbourne, Sydney, Ayers Rock and Cairns
o we intend to take out separate insurance against excess, tyres,
windows etc from Questor or the like since the hire companies charges
seem exorbitant (eg AUD33 a day from Thrifty in Ayers Rock).
o the separate insurance providers invariably offer policies with and
without SLI. I know that SLI is highly desirable (in my view essential
unless one is a gambler) in the USA and Canada where there is otherwise
little or no cover for third party liabilities

What I can't find is the position in Australia (in the
States/Territories
mentioned above) as regards damage to third parties and third party
property. The hirers sites generally just say that compulsory third
party insurance imposed by the various State and Territory Registration
Authorities is included in the cost (often with a fee shown for it).
But I can't see what it covers and for how much.

Any advice - if only on where to look - would be much appreciated.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
almostbob

gravel roads, road trains, roos, completely different to what most tourists
have encountered b4, high likelihood of glass damage
but still more like buying the car again $230/week
$33/day isnt bad, for the rental co

--
_ _
m...

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
neverwas

almostbob wrote:
gravel roads, road trains, roos, completely different to what most
tourists have encountered b4, high likelihood of glass damage
but still more like buying the car again $230/week
$33/day isnt bad, for the rental co

Fair point (although I am not sure why road trains are a bigger risk
than French artics tail-gating me at 110 kph in the rain on the
autoroute). But damage to the car from gravel* etc are all covered by
the policies I am looking at. The main issue I have is whether or not
to include the SLI.

That said, another issue is whether car hirers in Oz are willing to sign
off a car on its return. Or do they - like those in the USA - insist on
you dropping the car off and leaving them to "find" scratches etc
later - possibly after the cars been scraped in their yard?

*though I'm too old to chance driving unpaved roads in a hire car in
remote locations so we'll be sticking to the Stuart Highway etc

Old January 3rd, 2010, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Norman[_3_]

neverwas wrote:

almostbob wrote:
[...]

My wife and I hired a 4WD campervan (brand spanking new) for 9 weeks in
Australia earlier this year from one of the major companies. We relied on the
hire company's insurance cover which seemed OK. We drove more than 16,000 km,
about 4,000 of that on dirt/gravel roads and tracks with quite a few creek
crossings. At the end of the hire the hire company rep gave the van a 60-second
inspection and signed it off on the spot.

--
Norman (from the UK)
Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

On 3 Jan 2010 16:27:07 GMT, "Norman" wrote:

neverwas wrote:

almostbob wrote:
[...]

They will sign off on the spot as Norman says. I am not sure what
extra policy you are contemplating I do take extra coverage with me
through my travel insurance. I did have an accident in Tasmania, but
that time my coverage had been arranged locally so I do not know if
supplemental insurance was a part, but I did not have to pay even
though the front corner of the driver's side was clipped by a right
turning vehicle.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Supplemental (how apropos!) to my other note, I recommend either their
insurance or a coverage from a third party (be sure that you are
covered in Australia as OZ and NZ are often included with Italy as
exceptions to general coverage.

There are a lot of nocturnal beasts who seem intent on destroying the
invasive car population one car per beast.

From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_insurance

"In South Australia, Third Party Personal insurance from the Motor Accident
Commission is included in the licence registration fee for people over 16. A
similar scheme applies in Western Australia.

"In Victoria, Third Party Personal insurance from the Transport Accident
Commission is similarly included, through a levy, in the vehicle
registration fee.

"In New South Wales, Compulsory Third Party Insurance (commonly known as CTP
Insurance) is a mandatory requirement and each individual car must be
insured or the vehicle will not be considered legal. Therefore, a motorist
cannot drive the vehicle until it is insured. A 'Green Slip,'[citation
needed] another name CTP Insurance is commonly known by due to the colour of
the pages the form is printed on, must be obtained through one of the seven
main insurers in New South Wales.

"In Queensland, CTP is a mandatory part of registration for a vehicle. There
is choice of insurer but price is government controlled in a tight band.

"These state based third party insurance schemes usually cover only personal
injury liability. Comprehensive vehicle insurance is sold separately to
cover property damage and cover can be for events such as fire, theft,
collision and other property damage."

I hope this helps.
Not sure of the exact coverage but I doubt if many Australians take out
extra insurance of the kind you are thinking about.
Perhaps you could check out the web pages of the various licensing
authorities.

Gerrit

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:17 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Peter Webb[_2_]

As I understand it:

1. You don't have to worry about personal injury insurance; all States have
such insurance included as part of the car's registration. (CTP = compulsory
third party insurance; all registered vehicles are so covered). You can't
even buy such insurance excepting as part of registering a vehicle.

2. Most car rental places already include some form of damage insurance, its
just that these typically have quite high excesses (eg you pay the first
$2,000 on any claim). In this case, you are really only insuring the excess.
If they don't explain this on their web pages, I am sure you could ring them
and ask them. This is called "CDW" or collision damage waiver insurance,
though it covers theft etc as well.

3. All rental car insurance is a rip-off, and those policies offered at the
point-of-sale by the car rental company are a massive rip-off.

4. If you rent a car using an Amex credit card, its quite possible that you
will get free CDW through Amex (which shows you what a rip-off this
insurance is, that Amex gives it away free).

5. If you can't get free CDW insurance through Amex, my suggestion would be
to find a car rental company with a reasonable excess, and simply don't
bother.

Old January 4th, 2010, 02:29 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
[email protected]

[Default] On Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:00:14 GMT, "neverwas"
offered the following words of wisdom:

almostbob wrote:
gravel roads, road trains, roos, completely different to what most
tourists have encountered b4, high likelihood of glass damage
but still more like buying the car again $230/week
$33/day isnt bad, for the rental co

Fair point (although I am not sure why road trains are a bigger risk
than French artics tail-gating me at 110 kph in the rain on the
autoroute).

Do NOT expect to find the same standard of roading in OZ as you enjoy
in Europe