American Airlines Plans to File for Bankruptcy

Old November 29th, 2011, 03:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rik Brown[_132_]

Default American Airlines Plans to File for Bankruptcy

Just saw on the news that American Airlines is planning to file for
bankruptcy, but that flights will continue as scheduled. The reason
stated was so that it could restructure within the bankruptcy laws.

-- Rik

--
Rik Brown

Share your experiences in the forums, blogs, videos, and online
community at 'TRAVEL.com' (http://www.TRAVEL.com).
Message origin: TRAVEL.com

Old November 29th, 2011, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Rik Brown[_133_]

Further to the above, I received the following e-mail from AA today:

Dear AAdvantage® Member,

As you may know, on Tuesday, November 29, American Airlines filed for
reorganization under Chapter 11. We took this action as part of our
efforts to secure our long-term success in delivering the highest
standards in air travel. We are committed to meeting your travel needs
with outstanding customer service and safety, and it will be business as
usual at American throughout our reorganization process. More than
80,000 people at American appreciate your loyalty and look forward to
continuing to serve you.

*We want to assure you that your AAdvantage**®** miles are
secure.* The AAdvantage miles that you've earned are yours and will stay
yours, subject to usual policies, until you choose to redeem them for a
great award with us. Likewise, your elite qualifying miles and your
elite status, including lifetime status granted under the Million
MilerSM program is secure and remains intact. You will
continue to earn miles through all our existing AAdvantage participating
companies and you will be able to redeem those miles for the same great
awards — flights, upgrades, car rentals and hotels just to name a few.
And, throughout the coming year, we will be adding even more
opportunities to earn miles, as well as new ways to redeem those miles.

American is honoring all tickets and reservations as usual, and making
normal refunds and exchanges. And, we intend to maintain a strong
presence in domestic and international markets. As we and all airlines
routinely do, we will continue to evaluate our operations and service,
assuring that our network is as efficient and productive as possible.
Additionally, relationships with our *one*world Alliance and other
codeshare partners are continuing to provide you with opportunities to
earn and redeem miles for travel to hundreds of destinations worldwide,
and we are honoring all tickets and reservations for travel on our
partner airlines as usual. For information about American's
reorganization process, please visit '*AA.com/restructuring*'
(http://link.aa.com/r/4JV6SX/9EUUZ/2A...TU/G8337/1C/h).

Even more importantly, we remain committed to providing a superior
customer experience with a focus on delivering what our customers value
most — the newest fleet with our upcoming aircraft deliveries, network
strength in the important cities of the world and world-class products,
service and technology.

American Airlines has a proud history, and we will have a successful
future. All of us on the American team thank you for your loyalty and we
look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

[image:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu...re_160x65.jpg]
Maya Leibman