Restaurant tipping in Europe?

Old January 19th, 2006, 07:40 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Restaurant tipping in Europe?

Rick Steves says that restaurant services generally are included in
the final bill and that tipping should be limited to either leaving
just loose change (e.g., rounding up to the next Euro) or none at all.
He mentioned that the U.S.'s culture of tipping 15-20% is definitely
regarded as "ugly American" to Europeans. I'd certainly like to avoid
that pitfall.

During my last trip to Europe (almost 30 years ago), I thought I
recalled that each country had different tipping practices. Has the
EU created uniformity on tipping within EU countries?

We'll be visiting Ireland, Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy,
Austria, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway for our
10-week Spring trip.

I'd appreciate any guidance you may have on restaurant tipping (and
other services, too, please!) while we're traveling.

Thanks much for your help.

Stan
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:01 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Owlman wrote:

During my last trip to Europe (almost 30 years ago), I thought I
recalled that each country had different tipping practices. Has the
EU created uniformity on tipping within EU countries?

No it hasn't. Each country has different practices, as you would expect.
In France, for example, there is a mandatory service charge added to
bills. No need to add anything.
Old January 19th, 2006, 08:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mike O'Sullivan wrote: Each country has different practices, as you
would expect.
In France, for example, there is a mandatory service charge added to
bills. No need to add anything.

The same is true in Germany, but we usually leave an additional tip,
the amount depending on the bill and our satisfaction with the service.

George

Old January 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

george wrote:
Mike O'Sullivan wrote: Each country has different practices, as you
would expect.
In France, for example, there is a mandatory service charge added to
bills. No need to add anything.

The same is true in Germany, but we usually leave an additional tip,
the amount depending on the bill and our satisfaction with the service.

Generally in Germany, one rounds up to the next Euro or two (depending on
the bill and satisfaction as above.

Note that this tip is not "left" on the table as we do in the US, but given
to the server at the time they take your money. When you ask for the check (and
not before) they come to your table with a big leather wallet, give you your
bill and expect you to to pay immediately. So you give them money and either
want change back or not. If not, then you give them the money and say "Das
stimmt." If you want change back, you tell them the amount you want to pay.

For example, on a bill of say 8,20, I'd likely give 9 Euro. If I have 9 Euro
I give them the 9 and say "Das stimmt." If I have a ten, I give them the 10
and say "Neun Euro, bitte".

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old January 19th, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juliana L Holm wrote:
want change back or not. If not, then you give them the money and say "Das
stimmt." If you want change back, you tell them the amount you want to pay.

Someone else suggested "Stimmt so." Both work, but you will sound like you
speak German better than I if you use the other person's recommendation.

;-)

--
Julie
**********
Old January 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Juliana L holm wrote: Note that this tip is not "left" on the table as
we do in the US, but given to the server at the time they take your
money.

This is what we usually do also. But we also sometimes leave money on
the table which is also acceptable etiquette according to my German
wife. However, she also worries that someone might steal it.

George

Old January 23rd, 2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

george wrote:
Juliana L holm wrote: Note that this tip is not "left" on the table as
we do in the US, but given to the server at the time they take your
money.

This is what we usually do also. But we also sometimes leave money on
the table which is also acceptable etiquette according to my German
wife.

It's certainly acceptable, and I think every restaurant employee will
understand (and appreciate) the meaning of some small change on the table.

However, she also worries that someone might steal it.

I'd also worry about that, at least in a big or busy restaurant.

.... Martin
Old January 19th, 2006, 09:05 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

On 19/01/06 10:03, in article , "Earl
Evleth" wrote:

the patrib

that should read patron!

Old January 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

Following up to Earl Evleth :

On 19/01/06 10:03, in article , "Earl
Evleth" wrote:

the patrib

that should read patron!

You're slipping too far to the left again, Earl.
--
Tim C.