Santorini caldera/sunset views without being in a cliff-side hotel room?

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:28 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Henry

Default Santorini caldera/sunset views without being in a cliff-side hotel room?

Hello,

I plan on staying in a moderately-priced hotel in Oia, Santorini that
does not have a sea view. Is it difficult getting to a high enough
place where I can enjoy the caldera view and sunset? Are there places
I could park a car and do this?

Thanks in advance

Old March 15th, 2007, 06:26 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Carole Allen[_1_]

On 14 Mar 2007 22:28:30 -0700, "Henry" wrote:

Hello,

I plan on staying in a moderately-priced hotel in Oia, Santorini that
does not have a sea view. Is it difficult getting to a high enough
place where I can enjoy the caldera view and sunset? Are there places
I could park a car and do this?

Thanks in advance

No, you just walk out to the edge, wait for the sun to set. If you
are staying in Oia you can walk to the northen tip of the island in 5
minutes. Why would you want or need a car there?

We took the local bus up from Fira, and from the plaza where we were
dropped off it was a short walk to the northern tip, fine views to the
sunset.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:16 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
a.spencer3

"Henry" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I plan on staying in a moderately-priced hotel in Oia, Santorini that
does not have a sea view. Is it difficult getting to a high enough
place where I can enjoy the caldera view and sunset? Are there places
I could park a car and do this?

Thanks in advance

Why are you taking/hiring a car on Santorini??!!
Walk almost anywhere, or cab if you must.
In Oia you can't be more than minutes walk from the 'edge'.

Surreyman

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Henry

Thank you everyone for your advice. Here are a couple more questions:

1. Is the bus transportation regular enough from Oia to allow for
excursions around the island like to the eastern beaches?

2. I've read conflicting information about the quality of the beaches
in Santorini. Some do not like them while others say wonderful things
about the black and red sand. Does anyone have any opinions?

3. What are the best beaches closest to Oia?

Many thanks!

Old March 16th, 2007, 11:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

HI Henry,
The buses run regularly until about 8 or 9p. After that, you will
have to take a taxi.
The nicest beaches with sand are at the south of the island. These
would include Monolithos, Kamari (heavily touristed), Perissa (less
touristed, younger set), Perivolos, Vlyxada (clothing optional beach),
and taking the caique from Akrotiri: Red Beach, Black Beach and White
Beach, depending of course upon your volcanic persuasion.
The closest beach to Oia is Bauxedes as you head along the road to
the east and down from Oia, and then Paradisos as you follow this road
north. These beaches are smaller and more private. In Spring, they
can turn into shingle beaches when the overlaying sand is removed by
the surf.

Go and explore. The island is made for walking.
Parakalo.
-Glenn

Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2007-03-15 00:28:30 -0500, "Henry" said:

Hello,

I plan on staying in a moderately-priced hotel in Oia, Santorini that
does not have a sea view. Is it difficult getting to a high enough
place where I can enjoy the caldera view and sunset? Are there places
I could park a car and do this?

I stayed in Fira, away from the cliff edge. But you can walk there
through the streets. There is a path that goes all the way down --
from the start of it at the top, there is a great view.

Thanks in advance

--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)