Credit card fraud

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

Default Credit card fraud

"Mike O'Sullivan" ha scritto nel messaggio
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I use a trick now. I do not sign my credit cards.

Pardon me if the logic of your "trick" escapes me! The purpose of
signing your card is for your own protection - to make it difficult for
any one else to forge your signature. Although it is possible for the
thief to also be an expert forger, it's unlikely. However, if YOU don't
sign your credit card, what is to prevent the thief doing so? (In which
case his/her signature would agree with the one on the card.)

I think he was being facetious.

well. The credit card company has my signature.
My passport has my signature. ( I guess every passport has.. )
So. whoever steals my card will have to prove that

he is me.. with proper papers
he can sign like me

even if they do not ask for ID.. people that accept credit cards MUST ask
for it. They do not do it at their own risk ( I guess most credit cards are
guaranteed up to a certain amount of money )

My credit card is authomatically debited to my account..
so in case of theft they will first debit my account. then they will wait
until i can prove I have not made the expenses that have been debited.
in italy. i need to go to police and make a written declaration about them.
Then the credit card company will eventually refund me ( I think my card is
also insured agianst fraudolent use ).-

as to ATM cards.. thousandth of them have been copied with different
devices.. and immediately reproduced and used in different countries at the
same moment.

the most common trick was to use a hidden camera in an ATM and a skimmer..
the skimmer would copy the data of the magnetic band and the camera would
read the PIN.
In Italy Visa upon request will send the card owner an SMS message for each
time his card is used.
Amex for the mometn does not do that. I have been told new credit cards with
electronic chips will be used in the very next future.

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I use a trick now. I do not sign my credit cards.

Pardon me if the logic of your "trick" escapes me! The purpose of
signing your card is for your own protection - to make it difficult for
any one else to forge your signature. Although it is possible for the
thief to also be an expert forger, it's unlikely. However, if YOU don't
sign your credit card, what is to prevent the thief doing so? (In which
case his/her signature would agree with the one on the card.)

I think he was being facetious.

What!! That sort of thing is not allowed here. Send for Runge!

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Mike O'Sullivan wrote:

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I use a trick now. I do not sign my credit cards.

Pardon me if the logic of your "trick" escapes me! The purpose of
signing your card is for your own protection - to make it difficult
for any one else to forge your signature. Although it is possible for
the thief to also be an expert forger, it's unlikely. However, if YOU
don't sign your credit card, what is to prevent the thief doing so?
(In which case his/her signature would agree with the one on the card.)

I think he was being facetious.

Perhaps, but judging by the rest of his statements, I think
he really IS that clueless!
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"tile" kirjoitti
t...

So. whoever steals my card will have to prove that

I guess that's precisely what sticky fingers won't do.

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Alan[_1_]

"Mike O'Sullivan" wrote in message
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I use a trick now. I do not sign my credit cards.

Pardon me if the logic of your "trick" escapes me! The purpose of
signing your card is for your own protection - to make it difficult for
any one else to forge your signature. Although it is possible for the
thief to also be an expert forger, it's unlikely. However, if YOU don't
sign your credit card, what is to prevent the thief doing so? (In which
case his/her signature would agree with the one on the card.)

I think he was being facetious.

i think he was being a prat

Old March 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
PeterL

On Mar 26, 3:31 am, John Stolz wrote:
I had my credit card stolen in Geneva last week and was surprised that
the thief was able to use it at more than 10 stores without the PIN. I
thought the pin system was supposed to be unbreakable?

Not my money being stolen, but it is inconvenient being without a card
until I get a new one.

Why would anyone need a PIN to use a credit card?

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

tile wrote:

"Mike O'Sullivan" ha scritto nel messaggio

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

I use a trick now. I do not sign my credit cards.

Pardon me if the logic of your "trick" escapes me! The purpose of
signing your card is for your own protection - to make it difficult for
any one else to forge your signature. Although it is possible for the
thief to also be an expert forger, it's unlikely. However, if YOU don't
sign your credit card, what is to prevent the thief doing so? (In which
case his/her signature would agree with the one on the card.)

I think he was being facetious.

well. The credit card company has my signature.

True. How does this help the vendor accepting your
(unsigned) card?

My passport has my signature. ( I guess every passport has.. )
So. whoever steals my card will have to prove that

he is me.. with proper papers
he can sign like me

The most likely form of ID (and the only one most vendors
require) being your signed credit card! (Are you REALLY
that clueless, or are these posts a troll?)

My credit card is authomatically debited to my account..
so in case of theft they will first debit my account. then they will wait
until i can prove I have not made the expenses that have been debited.
in italy. i need to go to police and make a written declaration about them.
Then the credit card company will eventually refund me ( I think my card is
also insured agianst fraudolent use ).-

That is a "debit card", NOT a "credit card"! A credit card
involves a monthly bill to you, and you may contest any
unauthorized charges with the credit-card company, rather
than paying them. (If what you say about being required to
file a police report in Italy, rather than deal directly
with the credit card company, I can be grateful all my cards
are with American companies!)
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"PeterL" kirjoitti
glegroups.com...
On Mar 26, 3:31 am, John Stolz wrote:
I had my credit card stolen in Geneva last week and was surprised that
the thief was able to use it at more than 10 stores without the PIN. I
thought the pin system was supposed to be unbreakable?

Not my money being stolen, but it is inconvenient being without a card
until I get a new one.

Why would anyone need a PIN to use a credit card?

Go to an unmanned gas station and fill the tank with plastic without typing
the key. It may work in America but doesn't do so in Europe.

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Padraig Breathnach

"PeterL" wrote:

Why would anyone need a PIN to use a credit card?

Because that is the way things have gone in much of Europe.

Old March 26th, 2007, 07:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tile

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" ha scritto nel
messaggio ...

tile wrote:

[...]

when i show my credit card without signature I have two possibilities
In Italy with my ID
aborad with my passport.

I have two credit cards..
AMEX and Visa

both of them are debited to my account every month
After I read my statement of account. I can approve it or not.
But my money has gone for a while.
I do not think in Europe credit cards are treated in a different way.
Of course. I can choose to pay after receiving my statement of account. but
then payements are delayed and so on.

I have been using credit cards for over 20 years.
Only once 10 eur have been debited that should not have been
The credit card company credited them after one month
No problem